Thermoworks Type K Wire Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyWestBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for putting this here but I posted in another section and got zero responses. I'm looking into a thermometer from Thermoworks and am interested particularly in the ceramic wire probe as described below in an excerpt from their site...

"The High Temp Flexible Ceramic Fiber Insulated Probe is used in commercial ovens and furnaces. Good choice to monitor fireboxes, kilns, grills, etc. However, it's not designed for direct food measurements."

I have two questions...

1. It says its not designed for direct food measurements, so will it work to measure the temp in my carboy? (I'm thinking no)

2. Will it fit between the bung and the lip of the carboy? Ive seen an old post where someone had a probe for doing this, IIRC the thermometer and probe he used were both from Thermoworks. This is ultimately what I'd like to do so I'm trying to find the right type K probe for the job.

Any help is appreciated. TIA!!

On this will it may take a call to Thermoworks.
The probe as described is to be used in dry environments. Could be two reasons it is not intended for direct measurement of food temperatures. The probe may not have a moisture proof interface between the probe and cable or the entire length of the probe would need to be inside the food item.

I have been considering this Thermowork product.
ChefAlarm ®
Model #TX-1100
Description says more moisture resistant than the older model they sell.

On this will it may take a call to Thermoworks.
The probe as described is to be used in dry environments. Could be two reasons it is not intended for direct measurement of food temperatures. The probe may not have a moisture proof interface between the probe and cable or the entire length of the probe would need to be inside the food item.

I have been considering this Thermowork product.
ChefAlarm ®
Model #TX-1100
Description says more moisture resistant than the older model they sell.

If all else fails I planned on calling them but figured if I can get the info from other homebrewers then I'm getting first hand experience.

http://www.homebrewing.org/product....m=ProductAds&gclid=CMHNoOyMursCFcFj7AodVh8A1w

If you have a thermowell stopper then your probe is not touching liquid.

I really prefer not to get a thermowell if I can just get a probe I can put straight in the beer. Its just extra money for something I dont really need when it comes down to it. Thanks though!

Give them a call or e-mail.

Every time I've had a question I've corresponded with a lady named Melissa and she knows her product. They know brewers use their products and she is familiar with the process.

Give them a call or e-mail.

Every time I've had a question I've corresponded with a lady named Melissa and she knows her product. They know brewers use their products and she is familiar with the process.

Thats reassuring. One of the main reasons I didnt call from the get go was because I thought it might be hard to explain what I'm trying to do to someone that doesnt know what a carboy is lol. Having heard this I'll just give them a call now. Thanks!

BTW, for the boil and chilling I use their MTC mini handheld display with the THS-113-373-T teflon coated probe.

It has withstood 30+ boils so far and is probably the thinnest probe/wire that you'll find. I think it would work well for your fermenter too. Melissa recommended it for the boil kettle over their non coated probes.

Go to: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html and search for 113-372/373/375-T (make sure the -T is on there!)

BTW, for the boil and chilling I use their MTC mini handheld display with the THS-113-373-T teflon coated probe.

It has withstood 30+ boils so far and is probably the thinnest probe/wire that you'll find. I think it would work well for your fermenter too. Melissa recommended it for the boil kettle over their non coated probes.

Go to: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/probe/tc_wire.html and search for 113-372/373/375-T (make sure the -T is on there!)

I saw that one but it didnt list any specs on the diameter so I was unsure. Ive been leaning towards the TW8060 unit, anyone have any thoughts on it?

I have the MTC with this probe

Model: 113-372/373/375

Been using it for 5 years without a problem. Actually used it today to make some caramels.

B

I ended up going with the TW8060 and two 39" THS-113-373-T teflon coated probes. The woman on the phone mentioned these were the ones people used for brewing so spot on recommendation guys. Thanks :mug:

Omega Engineering is another source with many types of thermocouples to choose from.

I ordered a 24" stainless probe from McMaster. I drilled a hole in a solid stopped and use it for my fermentation temp control. Works great.

image-2100922241.jpg

image-2559074587.jpg

Back