Thermowell Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Anyone use the Carboy Cap Thermowell in their wort?
THERMOWELL FOR GLASS CARBOYS @ Williams Brewing

Picked this up a few weeks ago and tried it on my latest batch (Douple IPA) in a glass carboy. Only problem was, as much as I kept trying to seat in in the carboy it would keep popping out. Couldn't get a good seal. I'm sure it had to do with the sanitized (and slick) surface - especially the rubber. Thought about drying the inside of the carboy and the stopper with a paper towel, but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of sanitizing? Anyone else run into this?

Was looking forward to using this with my new heat wrap and Johnson temp controller. Ended up just taping the probe to the outside of the carboy. Probably not as accurate but seems to be working well. Currently holding the temp at 64 in my 55 degree basement.

I have this thermowell and have the same problem with it popping out of my carboy. I solved the issue two ways.
First, I tie the bung down using either a rubber band or a small rope that is anchored to my carboy handle. I've been doing this on all my carboy caps since I found one sitting on the floor...it was knocked of my one of my kids (fortunately, the beer was unaffected).
Second, after I sanitize the cap in starsan, I spray grain alcohol on the bung. It seems to dry a little faster than the starsan and makes the bung grip a little better.

I prefer my orange carboy cap, so I'll be working on a DIY thermowell for one of those in the near future.

If you are using starsan ANY rubber stopper will be loose on it. Happens all the time. You can dry the stopper and the lip of the carboy with some paper towel and replace. I usually wrap tinfoil around it to hold it in place. The other thing is just relax until the starsan where the rubber and carboy meet, then push it back down.

I ended taping it down with some electrical tape. Not the most elegant solution but it stayed in place. Williams Brewing is sending me a replacement. They said it's possible I got the wrong size.

Revvy, I do not have this issue with my regular rubber stopper, even when wet. Always stays in place.

Back