Thermostat probe in fermentation chamber (freezer)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbb

Reaction score
I have a freezer with a Ranco thermostat to maintain proper fermentation temperature.

From reading many, many threads on here it sounds like most folks tape the thermostat probe to the side of the carboy/bucket/whatever. Is there a better way? To date, I've just thrown the probe in next to the carboy/bucket and monitored the stick-on thermometer as often as possible, adjusting the Ranco when necessary.

I've read about thermowells, and it doesn't sound to be a good idea due to the freezer running too long before the wort/beer gets to the set point and then the residual cool air continuing to chill.

If you tape it on to the carboy/bucket/whatever, do you insulate it from the air? With what?

If you want to control the temperature of the wort, then the sensor should read the temperature of the wort, attach it to the carboy (or thermowell). If you want to control air temperature put the sensor next to the carboy.

I attach to the carboy, set control temperature and walk away for a few days. no adjustments. Wort temperature in an active fermentation has never been more than 1 degree F higher than the glass.

My usual method is to attach the temperature probe to the side of the carboy and place some form of "insulation" around it. Typically for me this is a few folded up paper towels duct-taped to the glass and around to make a sort of seal around the probe. The visual of this is similar to a large duct-tape/paper towel band-aid. Trust me, this is plenty accurate for fermentation temps. Another method would be to fill up a jar/jug with water and do some testing to see how much lag time and change there is between air temp. and water temp. and use that for your probe to rest in. The negative to this is that it isn't actually adjusting the temperature of the wort, but instead the liquid in the jar/jug, but it will work well. And yet another option is what you mentioned with a thermowell. Personally, I stand by the paper towel, duct-tape method.

Back