Thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNKDUKE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Through the years of all grain brewing, I have used and thrown out several thermometers of various styles. The last batch I brewed I could not get three (3) different thermometers to agree and either undershot or overshot my mash temp - significantly.
I am tired of trying on my own, to find a good, reliable thermometer and I come to you in need of all y'alls opinion.

I need a good, reliable thermometer.
What thermometer do you use and why?

Thank you!

I only use Ashcroft 2" diameter dial thermometers (with 14" probe)

they are able to be calibrated.

They are calibrated yearly in an oil batch at 3 different temps, and have been fairly accurate for the past 3 years. (are only adjusted less than 2 degrees)

I use two, I use them together to make sure that they are both accurate, and when one is a little off, I re-adjust them using an ice batch and adjust the one that was off. If I did have to adjust one, I will use them both in the boil to ensure they are still both accurate.

I should go with a digital, But this is how I have always done it.

Through the years of all grain brewing, I have used and thrown out several thermometers of various styles. The last batch I brewed I could not get three (3) different thermometers to agree and either undershot or overshot my mash temp - significantly.
I am tired of trying on my own, to find a good, reliable thermometer and I come to you in need of all y'alls opinion.

I need a good, reliable thermometer.
What thermometer do you use and why?

Thank you!

FWIW, I bought a Brew-mometer from my LHBS. Goes to 220*F . Comes with markings for ales,lagers, doughing in, steeping, boiling,and everything in between, etc...only thing I didn't care for is that the fitting on it isn't NPT 1/2 , and I had to buy an adapter fitting.
But to answer the other half of your question, it seems accurate.

I have a couple of THESE I'm pretty rough on stuff and they hold up well. It can also be calibrated, but I never had to. I also bought the water proof needle probe for it, which is great 'cause I can throw it right in the mash or boil for accurate readings without having to read the little 3" dial thermometer affixed to the kettles.

I have one of these, very happy.
http://www.cooper-atkins.com/Products/Digitals/Digital_Pocket_Test_with_Temperature_Alarm_DFP450W/

Reasonably priced, dishwasher safe, which means you can accidentally drop it in the mash water. There is no facility to calibrate it - they say the calibration is guaranteed for lifetime. Not sure if this is a good or bad feature. The temps do match my other CDN thermometer which can be calibrated but is only splashproof and doesn't like being dropped in the mash.

At one point Thermapen was king, I don't know if anything has come along that's better. But the Thermapen IMHO is hard to beat. I've had the same one for years and it still works.

Thanks everyone. I bought the $19 RT600 and will probably by the DOT with an upgraded bla bla bla........as I like the ones I can sit ontop of my mash tun
:mug:

Back