thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer with thoughts of soon going to mini-mash or all grain.
I am currently using a small dial thermometer which I am cocerned of losing it in my wort (especially when I am sanitizing during the last 20 of the boil)
I am thinking of upgrading but don't want to spend a fortune. Should I go with a probe style or a bigger dial? any suggestions would help

thanks

I use one of these:

proaccurate.jpg

They're $20 at Northern Brewer.

I used to use a digital but after a while the steam made it work for ****. I went back to just my old "junk" dial thermometer and works fine everytime. Sure I may burn my fingers in hot wort every batch but I havent dropped it in the wort yet :D

I still swear by this... I have submerged the tip in hot mash way up the cord which seems to mess up the ones with wire braids but it has not hurt this one a bit. The head of it has been subjected to steam and even been splashed (not submerged though) and I havent had any problems with it. It is twice / three times the price as the 'Wal-Mart' cheapo but having been through a half dozen of those, this one has more than made up for the expense.

Check me out!

i like the hanging from a string idea, but I had another question.
When using a smaller dial thermometer, you are only reading the temperature of the top of the wort. When doing a full boil 5 gallons and using a wort chiller, I've noticed that the bottom cools much quicker than the top of the wort. So isn't the thermometer giving you the "high end" of the temperature?

Back