thermometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer with thoughts of soon going to mini-mash or all grain.
I am currently using a small dial thermometer which I am cocerned of losing it in my wort (especially when I am sanitizing during the last 20 of the boil)
I am thinking of upgrading but don't want to spend a fortune. Should I go with a probe style or a bigger dial? any suggestions would help

thanks

I use one of these:

proaccurate.jpg

They're $20 at Northern Brewer.

I used to use a digital but after a while the steam made it work for ****. I went back to just my old "junk" dial thermometer and works fine everytime. Sure I may burn my fingers in hot wort every batch but I havent dropped it in the wort yet :D

I still swear by this... I have submerged the tip in hot mash way up the cord which seems to mess up the ones with wire braids but it has not hurt this one a bit. The head of it has been subjected to steam and even been splashed (not submerged though) and I havent had any problems with it. It is twice / three times the price as the 'Wal-Mart' cheapo but having been through a half dozen of those, this one has more than made up for the expense.

Check me out!

i like the hanging from a string idea, but I had another question.
When using a smaller dial thermometer, you are only reading the temperature of the top of the wort. When doing a full boil 5 gallons and using a wort chiller, I've noticed that the bottom cools much quicker than the top of the wort. So isn't the thermometer giving you the "high end" of the temperature?

Latest posts

Back