Thermometer probe length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie

Reaction score
How far into the kettle does the probe need to be? I mean does the entire length of the probe need to be past the sidewall fitting?

I just added a SS tee fitting to where I had my thermometer so I could add a sight tube to the same hole in the kettle . The thermometer is now mounted to the end of the tee fitting and only the last 1/2” of the probe sticks into the kettle. It’s now reading about 180’ when boiling even though the entire probe is still in the water.

Is there really that much temperature drop inside the fitting? I would think some lag time until all the water equalized in temperature but it will boil for an hour and stay at 180’

Was calibrated before. It seems the heat drops off fast inside the fitting. The water in there is pretty much static compared to the water inside the kettle. The majority of the probe is now inside the fitting. I think I really need to step up to a 9” probe so the majority of it is back inside the kettle and circulating water

Yeah, you’re on the right track. Definitely not a situation where you can get away with just the tip. (!)

Back