Thermometer Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Thermometer Should I Buy?

• Fluke 62 Mini IR Thermometer

• Splash-Proof Thermapen

• Other(Please post your other option)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mtcpilot

Reaction score
I'm tired of relying on crappy analog instrumentation that seems to need to be calibrated every time it goes in the pot/tun/whatever. I'm willing to spend up to $150, but would prefer to keep it under $100 for accurate and reliable performance. Input from current owners would be appreciated.

Clark

Crappy analog? Analog lab thermometers are extremely accurate and significantly cheaper than reliable digitals.

Anyway, the thermapen is great. IR thermometers have some hard constraints on accuracy and tend not to be great for brewing purposes.

Crappy analog? Analog lab thermometers are extremely accurate and significantly cheaper than reliable digitals.

Anyway, the thermapen is great. IR thermometers have some hard constraints on accuracy and tend not to be great for brewing purposes.

I know analog thermometers CAN have excellent accuracy and reliability, but they're not always sturdy, and not necessarily the most precise or easiest to read (subject to paralax, fogging, etc.). As cool as the fluke is, and easy to use, the thermapen does seem to be a more logical choice. Still open to more ideas, though.

Back