Thermometer is off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impur

Reaction score
So last brew session my friend dropped the thermometer into the MLT right after dough in. We fished it out and continued to use it thru the brew day.

Last week i decided to buy another since water got inside the other one and it might be off now. I compared the 2 during the boil last weekend and the new one is 10 degrees higher than the old. I tested a smaller meat thermometer against them, and it gave me the same reading as the old thermometer. Then i tested all 3 against a candy thermometer, which read 5 degrees lower than the new thermometer and 5 degrees higher than the other 2.

What gives? How do i get a thermometer that gives correct temps? Do i need to go digital?

I have a similar problem with my thermometers and really want to hit my temps. I know that the Thermapen is great, but does anyone know of anything cheaper that is also good? I've recently moved to all grain and kegging, so money is a little tight now.

How do Type K thermocouples with a mutli-meter compare?

I have a similar problem with my thermometers and really want to hit my temps. I know that the Thermapen is great, but does anyone know of anything cheaper that is also good? I've recently moved to all grain and kegging, so money is a little tight now.

How do Type K thermocouples with a mutli-meter compare?

I've been doing some reading because i don't really want to spend $100 on a thermometer either, rather use that for a new mill. But it seems that a lot of ppl use the long glass lab thermometers and they are supposed to be very accurate. I saw them at my LHBS on the bottom shelf for 8 bucks i think, but i ended up going with one of the long probe types that come with turkey fryers for $15 :drunk:

I did read some positive reviews for the thermocouples and multi-meter if your has a temp setting.

Latest posts

Back