Thermometer for Keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
My keggle is on the way from Sabco, and a hop stopper and all the fittings are on their way from tnlandsailor. Now I just need to get a thermometer to hook up like this:

SiteTubeThermo.JPG

Any recommendations?

I just put one on my pot. I got it from my LHBS. I think I paid $30 for it. I will be breaking it in today!!

You're Just looking for the theromometer w/ a threaded end?
I've seen them in both northern brewer and More beer.

El Pistolero said:
My keggle is on the way from Sabco, and a hop stopper and all the fittings are on their way from tnlandsailor. Now I just need to get a thermometer to hook up like this:

SiteTubeThermo.JPG

Any recommendations?

You should have ordered one from Sabco while you were at it. They sell them as accesories or something when you buy the keggle.

BTW--that T fitting and sight glass is EXACTLY what I use--TN Landsailor hooked me up when I had no clue what I needed. :D

ORRELSE said:
BTW--that T fitting and sight glass is EXACTLY what I use--TN Landsailor hooked me up when I had no clue what I needed. :D

Being a newbie with a real boil kettle (keggle), what is the purpose/advantage of a sight glass? Is it only really useful when using a keggle as M/LT or HLT, or are there practical uses for the sight glass on a BOIL kettle?

brackbrew said:
Being a newbie with a real boil kettle (keggle), what is the purpose/advantage of a sight glass? Is it only really useful when using a keggle as M/LT or HLT, or are there practical uses for the sight glass on a BOIL kettle?

Doing my first keggle boil last week, I wished I had a sight glass. It was difficult to see the level through all the steam.

ORRELSE said:
You should have ordered one from Sabco while you were at it. They sell them as accesories or something when you buy the keggle.

Sabco's way to proud of their fittings, IMHO. :(

brackbrew said:
During an hour long boil, you will evaporate 1 - 1.5 gallons of water depending on how vigorous the boil is. This will raise the gravity of the wort anywhere from 10 to 15 points. It's a very useful tool to be able to monitor how much wort is being evaporated so that you can be sure you final gravity is exactly what you want. For me, I start with 7.5 gallons and boil off 1.5 gallons for a final volume of 6. That equates to 1/2 gallon every 20 minutes. I use this number and monitor the volume via the sight tube to adjust the burner so that I get exactly this boil off rate. You can use a calibrated stick, but hey, it's a calibrated stick. The sight tube makes things much easier and for $15, it's hard to beat.

Now, since you do have a keg kettle, let me tell you about kettle screens............

right.gif
Brewmometer - weldless

This has the same features as the 1/2" MPT brewmometer, but comes with an integral bulkhead for easy weldless installation in a stainless steel kettle. The patent pending weldless design forms a super rigid water-tight seal. Unlike other weldless thermometer options, this will not "wiggle" in the pot or leak. The stem only protrudes into the pot by 2-1/2" — long enough to get a good reading, but short enough to stay out the the way.
#7417Brewmometer - weldless
$40.00
EACH I use one of these. I installed it before I read the instructions which call for it to be atleast 6 inches from the heat source (bottom of the kettle) which mine is 3.5 inches....I had to weld a small metal heat shield on under it. All in all it works quite well and I al very glad I got it. Yes a sight glass is very nice to have but I would say your best piece other than the keg is the hop stopper. if installing this find a friend the has a step drill bit ($33 at the depot if you can't find anyone with one)

my plans are to have a view glass on my hlt and my boiler. dont need one on the mt..,no lose of water/wort. its nice to know what has boiled off in the keggle so you have an idea of what your throwing in the primary. Its nice to see the sparge gallons to. My first times i tried to use a gallon jug with 170 degree water in it to get to the mash tun:eek: !! know its a no brainer with the sight glass. jmot

Back