thermometer for boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
budbo said:
Hmm I never use a thermometer for the boil, it's either boiling or it's not....

Doh! I didn't think of that. Serious I meant the boil process, specifically steeping grains. Sorry for not being that specific. I also need one to know when the wort is cooled suffciently to pitch the yeast.

I got one at walmart. It's just a dial on top with a probe. Gets me within 1-2 degrees. Use it for pitch temps as well. Used to use a Pampered Chef digital thermometer w/ probe for all my cooking, but it went on the fritz. Worked well for pitch temps as well.

For my fermentation area I have a wireless temp system I bought at Menard's. 3 wireless units transmit to the base station on my computer desk...that way I can monitor different carboys as well as the storage area. It monitors down to the .tenth degree.

I have a couple 1" dial types, none of which agree. I calibrate them against a mercury thermometer, which I check in boiling water.

You don't need a thermometer that is acurate to the exact degree. Remember people were brewing beer before thermometers were made. If you miss your temperature by a few degrees your still gonna make beer. so buy a cheap dial thermometer from any kitchen store and spend the money you saved on an absurd amount of hops for your next home brew!

Leaky barrel said:
You don't need a thermometer that is acurate to the exact degree. Remember people were brewing beer before thermometers were made. If you miss your temperature by a few degrees your still gonna make beer. so buy a cheap dial thermometer from any kitchen store and spend the money you saved on an absurd amount of hops for your next home brew!

I agree but the dial therm I have is off by 20 degrees, therefroe it is usless for brewing or cooking. This is why i filally got fed up and bought this: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/index.html

it is accurate to +- .5 c. now all of my cooking/ grilled item come out correctly and i can finally start partial mashes. It may be pricey but I figured I can use it about 5-8 times monthly and I won't want to kill my self any more when I serve raw chicken.

Exo said:
For my fermentation area I have a wireless temp system I bought at Menard's. 3 wireless units transmit to the base station on my computer desk...that way I can monitor different carboys as well as the storage area. It monitors down to the .tenth degree.

That is simultanously both way overkill and way friggin' cool. How much did that run you?

i use a floating thermostat for steeping... but it comes out before you boil. be careful with these things too... exploding thermostats are not cool, mmk?!

the_bird said:
That is simultanously both way overkill and way friggin' cool. How much did that run you?

Ehh, overkill yea, (and way cool to say...hey my german ale is currently at 60.5deg. with a max. temp bump of 61.2deg today) but you climb up and down the stairs 20times a day to check your temps and make sure your not making messes!

Screw it...next to sanitation...temp is the most important.

When I break down and get a lager system...well ****...the thermometers will still kick ass.

And you can sanitize the probes if you want and drop em right into whatever....

I'll have to post a pic...

The only thing cooler...have the system rigged to your computer so you can monitor your temps from work...geeky yes...but just awesome!

for starters........I'm new to the homebrew business. I just did my third batch last night and ran into a thermometer problem at the end. This is the closest thread I could find........hoping someone can give me a quick bit of advice. I used a drop in beer/wine thermo. during the grain cooking stage. Forgot to take it out when boiling the hops however. It apparently overheated, because when I finally removed it, the red liquid inside was running up inside the thermometer. It is a mercury free thermometer and fortunately did not break (still completely sealed from what I can tell). Any reason to be concerned (about drinking the beer that is), or should I just chalk it up as a lesson learned and toss the thermometer?

Appreciate any comments

Bill

I first bought a $5 floating type, but it broke. Then I bought a $16 meat thermometer, but when it got wet it went wildly inaccurate, and I ruined it while trying to dry it out. So I finally got this one:

T100-4039big.jpg

Best homebrewing thermometer out there, half the price of the next best deal. Waterproof probe AND cable, plenty of range and very accurate. You'll especially appreciate it if you go AG. Lab Safety has the best price I've found on them.

billiii said:
for starters........I'm new to the homebrew business. I just did my third batch last night and ran into a thermometer problem at the end. This is the closest thread I could find........hoping someone can give me a quick bit of advice. I used a drop in beer/wine thermo. during the grain cooking stage. Forgot to take it out when boiling the hops however. It apparently overheated, because when I finally removed it, the red liquid inside was running up inside the thermometer. It is a mercury free thermometer and fortunately did not break (still completely sealed from what I can tell). Any reason to be concerned (about drinking the beer that is), or should I just chalk it up as a lesson learned and toss the thermometer?

Appreciate any comments

Bill

Nope, as long as the glass isn't fractured or broken the beer should be fine, but you do need a new thermometer.

Thanks...........definitely will buy one....not worth the risk or aggravation I went through last night. I was actually close to throwing the whole batch out until I realized the thermo. did not actually break.

that said...........since it didn't actually break, I'm thinking the beer should not have been contaminated (at least it's not glowing from mercury:ban: ) Agree?

billiii said:
that said...........since it didn't actually break, I'm thinking the beer should not have been contaminated (at least it's not glowing from mercury:ban: ) Agree?

By the way, welcome to HBT!! :mug:

Didn't you mention it was mercury-free? ;)

yes, mercury free.......still a bit paranoid.

thanks for the welcome. still in information overload, but my homebrew store has been outstanding!

Back