Thermometer Extension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernholio

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just brewed a 5 gallon partial mash batch using my new 8.5 gallon stainless boil kettle. During the mash phase, I noticed that the amount of water the recipe called for wasn't enough to reach the thermometer post (standard setup, I think... two holes in the kettle, ball valve in the bottom, and therm. in the top). So, I went ahead and added enough water to reach the post and went ahead as usual with the grain bag. So here are my (noob) questions...

1. Does it REALLY matter how much water you use during the mash stage? (i.e., provided the finished product is still a total of 5 gallons)
  2. If the answer to #1 is "yes" is there a way that I can "extend" the thermometer -- I was thinking about wrapping 14-16 gauge copper wire around it to extend down in the kettle)

I'm willing to bet the amount of water doesn't matter, I just tend to over-think things sometimes!

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Vern

Hey All,

I just brewed a 5 gallon partial mash batch using my new 8.5 gallon stainless boil kettle. During the mash phase, I noticed that the amount of water the recipe called for wasn't enough to reach the thermometer post (standard setup, I think... two holes in the kettle, ball valve in the bottom, and therm. in the top). So, I went ahead and added enough water to reach the post and went ahead as usual with the grain bag. So here are my (noob) questions...

1. Does it REALLY matter how much water you use during the mash stage? (i.e., provided the finished product is still a total of 5 gallons)
  2. If the answer to #1 is "yes" is there a way that I can "extend" the thermometer -- I was thinking about wrapping 14-16 gauge copper wire around it to extend down in the kettle)

I'm willing to bet the amount of water doesn't matter, I just tend to over-think things sometimes!

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Vern

It actually depends on how you're mashing (Fly sparge, batch, etc). That will determine how much water you need to start with.

As for extending the thermometer probe, no, you can't really extend it. If you do, it will not be accurate and will rely on the metal you add to heat quickly for the probe to read. At that point you're no longer monitoring the water temp but the metal wire temp. If you need a thermometer in your kettle then plug up the hole it's currently in and then use a weldless bulkhead lower on the pot, this would require some drilling, and install the thermomter into the weldless bulkhead.

Weldless bulkhead:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

Plug:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_39_63&product_id=69

This is assuming that you have 1/2 inch fittings in your kettle now.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply and the detailed explanation on why my idea wouldn't work (saved me a trip to Home Depot!) Anyway, I'm partial mashing (and then typically using liquid extract). So, I'm using a grain bag with varying quantities of milled grain for the "mash" (depending on the recipe). Also depending on the recipe, a varying amount of water is called for to steep the grain bag. With a 5 gallon batch, this amount isn't enough to reach the post for the thermometer in my kettle (regardless of the recipe). I'm just curious if -- when performing a partial mash -- the amount of water used at that phase will have any bearing on the mash, since I'm going to later add add'l water -- and then liquid extract -- for the boil, anyway. (And, when I add that water, it DOES reach the thermometer).

Regardless, I like your idea about relocating the thermometer in the kettle. I could always just do that. If I can avoid that tho, I'd prefer it!

Back