there's a cockroach in my blow-off water... that sounds funny.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

americanweirdo

Reaction score
So I brewed an IPA two weekends ago and setup a blow-off tube in a bucket of water/starsan. The first week, I was keeping a pretty close eye on everything that was going on. But after things settled down a bit, I stopped paying much attention to it.

When I peeked in yesterday, there was a dead cockroach floating in my blow-off water. I quickly removed it and replaced the water. This may be a silly question, but what negative effects can this have on my beer, if any? I mean... the actual cockroach never made contact with the beer, but i just want to make sure this isn't a complete tragedy. Has this happened to anyone else and what was your initial reaction?

You should be A-OK. It's pretty nasty, granted. I have had Fruit Flies in my airlocks before and no troubles.

just an update. i racked the IPA to the secondary last night and it smells TERRIFIC!! it's got exactly the kind of citrusy aroma i was hoping for!

I would recommend the "Flying Roach" as the name.
Nothing freaks me out more, and nothing is more satisfying when it is crushing under my Slipper (flip flops).

Latest posts

Back