theoritical questions about apfelwin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Im trying to understand the process more, so I have some questions, most of which I think I have an answer for, but I would like some expert opinions!

1. I am presently brewing Apfelwin, it has been going since last Sunday ~10 days. Its still bubbling away, what would happen if I bottled it now? (im not going to)

2. I did not take my OG reading (n00b) I used 5 gallons of cider, 3.25 pounds of DME, and sweet mean yeast from whitelabs. what should my OG be? Do I need more info for this?

3. I will add more later, im blanking :(

What would happen if you mixed 2 kinds of yeast? would one eat the other? would they mix and come out with something funny?

olllllo said:
If you bottle too early, you may create bottle bombs.

The words of a wise man.

Bottling while you still have a lot of fermentables will build excess pressure in the bottles and most certainly result in some bottle bombs.

Be sure to let everyone know how this turns out. I was thinking of making an apfelwein-type cider but with malt extract instead of corn sugar. I'm curious to see how yours will taste.

Wait another 20 days before bottling, then don't open any of those bottles for at least another 30 days. Then you'll be enjoying a fine apfelwein.

3.25lbs of dextrose would land you somewhere around 1.075-1.080 given a 5-5.5gallon batch. You're looking at 10.5% ABV if that ferments down as dry as montrachet usually get it (.998 FG). Really, this stuff get better and better with age. If you are really jonesin' for apfelwein - I would make another 5gal batch now with 1# dextrose, use Cotes des Blancs Yeast, and drink that young while the 10# stuff ages for a couple months. It'll be a little sweeter and have less alcohol....shouldn't need as much time to mature.

TY to sirslooop! for the reading, I just checked...... ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ban: :ban: :ban:

It is also... BRUT, very very BRUT.

So here is my plan (tell me what yalls think!)

Tonight, im gonna bottle my stout (also done). soak carboy (explosive fermentation is messy) tommorow, rack apfelwine into other carboy for..... (2 weeks?) Brew Next batch of pilsner.

Sound like a good plan? is 2 weeks not needed? is it not enough? It tasted good but.... BRUT (not what i was going for). How do I make it sweeeeeet like woodchucks (major investor likes woodchucks)

Latest posts

Back