The Yeast bay Amalgamation 100% Brett IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive just ordered 2 vial of Yeast Bay Amalgamation , which is a blend of 6 brett. I want to do a 100 % brett IPa with it. White lab says to not make a starter with a a yeast mix cause it will unbalance the proportion of each brett.i saw online that theres only 3 billion cell per vial and that i should pitch at a rate of a lager for a 100% brett beer.im not sure what to do, i got a hard time thinking that 6 billions cells can make it in a 5 gallon batch. what would you do guys?

thanks

You want somewhere between lager and ale rates. Do a starter realizing it is going to take longer than clean yeast to propagate, figure 1 week per step and target 80-82F for the temp. The ratios are not going to get farther off than would in the full beer anyway since you are really just performing a continuous growth up to brew day.

If you decide to pitch just the two vials, it will work, producing a little more Brett funk and taking much longer to ferment.

EDIT: You could always add dregs from your favorite 100% Brett beers during the propagation time for more diversity.

yeah but can the 02 affect the blend?

The only effect O2 will have is to produce healthier cells in greater numbers! You will likely get some acetic acid production with O2 present too, but if you're decanting the starter or diluting it a great deal, it will likely be unnoticeable.

Brett grows more slowly than Sacch and Lacto, so a starter for a mixed culture like Roselare would upset the ratio. All Sacch strains reproduce at about the same rate, so I wouldn't think different Brett strains would reproduce at wildly different rates. I could be wrong--there's plenty of precedent--but since it's all-Brett, a starter shouldn't upset things too much.

Even if the ratio becomes unbalanced in a starter, it would become unbalanced in your main beer, too. The amount of time in a starter is tiny compared to how long brett beers ferment for.

the beer was very funky, horse blanket taste big way at first.it let the hop shine tough. it worth the try , very interesting blend!

Back