The "We'll fix your label for you" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to grab a picture of the Hug family crest from my dad's wall and mock something up that says Hausbrauerei Hug

How are you guys doing this stuff? Photoshop?
I have minimal photoshop skills. I'd love to get a basic label design that I could use. I was thinking might be cool to have a charicature of myself on the label? Seems those cost big bucks though.
I've been using the beer labelizer webpage and that is pretty cool, but after a while... boring.
Where do I start??

TD

This is my wine label, although im looking to use the same "dead tree" logo for my brews as well. any room for improvement here?

2014 Malbec Label.jpg

The brushed steel looks pretty sharp man. I'd say remove half the rivets from the border, slap a test label of that on a bottle...
I removed some of the rivets and tweaked it a little more. Looks great on the screen, but when I print it out, it doesn't look like metal though. Unless I use glossy photo paper, which I don't want to do.

bottle-1.jpg

I removed some of the rivets and tweaked it a little more. Looks great on the screen, but when I print it out, it doesn't look like metal though. Unless I use glossy photo paper, which I don't want to do.

I don't think it is really possible to make something look metallic on regular paper. I think you would need to use very high quality paper and toner (not ink).

How are you guys doing this stuff? Photoshop?
I have minimal photoshop skills. I'd love to get a basic label design that I could use.
Where do I start??

TD

You can use a mixture of basic programs to alter labelizer images as well. If you have a picture you want and a few ideas, someone can usually help you out pretty quickly here too if you post them up.

This is my wine label, although im looking to use the same "dead tree" logo for my brews as well. any room for improvement here?

Do you know what else you may want to add for your beer label? Or at least a color / style to get started?

Still just my opinion... but looks sharp man. The only thing I would add, is to maybe try and give the logo itself some depth. A few well placed lines could give it dimension and help it stand out from the steel. Adding depth and light variations would be your only chance of making the steel more realistic, yet unnecessary. Looking good.

So i was thinking of using this picture as a label but other then that i haven't much of a clue. I came up with the name storm brewery as my last name is strom i figured it be a funny play on word type of thing. But as it turns out a strom brewery already exist. So any suggestions on the name would be nice too that has the same concept. Im not looking for much just a few suggestions =]

View attachment 1422990398847.jpg

So i was thinking of using this picture as a label but other then that i haven't much of a clue. I came up with the name storm brewery as my last name is strom i figured it be a funny play on word type of thing. But as it turns out a strom brewery already exist. So any suggestions on the name would be nice too that has the same concept. Im not looking for much just a few suggestions =]

How about Stormy Weather Brewery?

How about Stormy Weather Brewery?

I do like the sound of that. I also forgot to say that if i couldnt set on a storm themed name that i was also thinking about the name the drunken hatter wile going with a more alice in wonderland type theme. Any thoughts or comments as to witch would seem like a cooler/better idea out of the too would be appreciated as well

Rough Waters Brewing Company

How about: BrewStorm, Stormbrew beer company (SBC), StormBräu. Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Still just my opinion... but looks sharp man. The only thing I would add, is to maybe try and give the logo itself some depth. A few well placed lines could give it dimension and help it stand out from the steel. Adding depth and light variations would be your only chance of making the steel more realistic, yet unnecessary. Looking good.

I made a few very minor tweaks to the label (added some depth). I also changed some printer settings and now it looks much better. I'll probably take it someplace that has a laser printer though. Thanks to you, and everyone else, for the suggestions.

Rough Waters Brewing Company

I really liked this name actually so i decided to roll with it and make up a mock label. Let me know what you guys think as this is the first time iv even used photoshop (i got the qr code from another guy on the forums actually i cant remember his user name but he gets all the credit for that haha)

View attachment 1423165748329.jpg

I really liked this name actually so i decided to roll with it and make up a mock label. Let me know what you guys think as this is the first time iv even used photoshop (i got the qr code from another guy on the forums actually i cant remember his user name but he gets all the credit for that haha)

Looks good:rockin:

wow I should have posted here before I made a thread... i need something to make my square1 look a little better on my labels. I change the color of it depending on the color of the beer inside the bottle but to me it looks sooo generic. I have it set as my default background layer and then I just updated the text layer and add some label image layer stuff. Heres an Example.

eztras-twisted-cream-64913.jpg

Maybe the border needs redone to make the label more appealing and less like I did it. .. suggestions?

wow I should have posted here before I made a thread... i need something to make my square1 look a little better on my labels. I change the color of it depending on the color of the beer inside the bottle but to me it looks sooo generic. I have it set as my default background layer and then I just updated the text layer and add some label image layer stuff. Heres an Example.

eztras-twisted-cream-64913.jpg

Maybe the border needs redone to make the label more appealing and less like I did it. .. suggestions?

Try a drop shadow that will make the text POP a little better.

I have a logo (not a label) I made up in Inkscape. I want to use the logo on the wrap that goes on the neck of the bottle so that it has to be bent so it looks straight on the bottle. I can't figure out how to do that in Inkscape. Can any of you do that? (or show me how)
Thanks,
Ken

Never mind. I figured it out. It just isn't easy like I hoped it would be.

Last edited:
Have any of you used a service like Fiverr to do some logo design? I made a quick logo long ago, but feel it probably needs some refinement. Plus I'd like to do some glass etching or other things where something that translates better to monochrome would be helpful. Or... anyone want to tackle it yourselves?

Have any of you used a service like Fiverr to do some logo design? I made a quick logo long ago, but feel it probably needs some refinement. Plus I'd like to do some glass etching or other things where something that translates better to monochrome would be helpful. Or... anyone want to tackle it yourselves?

Post your idea if you want help with it, people tend to jump on them fairly quick with good results.

Post your idea if you want help with it, people tend to jump on them fairly quick with good results.
Okay. As my post above noted, I whipped together this quick logo some time ago. Never saved the PSD of the raster. However this definitely needs some refinement. Plus I'd like to be able to monochrome the logo at some point so I can do some pint etchings and other things. There's a part of me that would like of like to stay in this vein (thunderstorm on radar... the lower left part of the graphic is the "Hook Echo"), but I'm open for anything. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

HookEchoLogo1.jpg

Here is the original weather pattern. For anyone who wants to take this on.

of25cg.jpg.png

Looking to improve on this

Started with the middle part and it grew. This part stays the same with each batch, except for whatever ridiculous name I decide to give the batch

On the left is a description of the beer, in a font of my own handwriting, then a little about me using flags; US, VA, the Battle Ensign of the ship I was on, the VFW Cross & a Navy Jack.

On the right is the gubmint warning, a barcode for that batch + brewed& bottling dates in my handwriting font

View attachment 1424105335714.jpg

I'm trying to build up a label with a combination of two family crests from my Dad's side of the family, with Hausbrauerei Hug as the brewery name, in reasonably simple gothic type script, similar to what we've got in the Howdybrau logo.

I've got the sources, and some cleanup that I tried doing myself, the heraldry guy apparently liked embellishing.

Any help would be awesome, I'm at the limits of what my image editing skills are capable of. I was using pixlr for the above work, and have the layered files as well.

Hausbrauerei Hug.jpg

Herzog crest.jpg

Hug Crest Small.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Okay. As my post above noted, I whipped together this quick logo some time ago. Never saved the PSD of the raster. However this definitely needs some refinement. Plus I'd like to be able to monochrome the logo at some point so I can do some pint etchings and other things. There's a part of me that would like of like to stay in this vein (thunderstorm on radar... the lower left part of the graphic is the "Hook Echo"), but I'm open for anything. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

So this isn't much but I thought I would take a swing at it. I couldn't figure out how to make a storm radar image still be recognizable as monochrome so I just cleaned it up a bit and change the font and placement. Hope you like it!
:mug:

wVTQTlP.png

I really like the weathered font on it. I'm going to see if I can play around with the stray edges of the radar image a bit to see if I can maintain some perspective without it looking too artificial.
The monochrome is certainly the challenge. If I continue with the radar theme, I may just need to simply use text for the monochrome. Or simply drop the radar theme for something else.

Thanks @WayFrae ! :mug:

I'm trying to build up a label with a combination of two family crests from my Dad's side of the family, with Hausbrauerei Hug as the brewery name, in reasonably simple gothic type script, similar to what we've got in the Howdybrau logo.

I've got the sources, and some cleanup that I tried doing myself, the heraldry guy apparently liked embellishing.

Any help would be awesome, I'm at the limits of what my image editing skills are capable of. I was using pixlr for the above work, and have the layered files as well.

This is what I came up with for yours. Let me know what you think!

2oEmYMt.png

I really like the weathered font on it. I'm going to see if I can play around with the stray edges of the radar image a bit to see if I can maintain some perspective without it looking too artificial.
The monochrome is certainly the challenge. If I continue with the radar theme, I may just need to simply use text for the monochrome. Or simply drop the radar theme for something else.

Thanks @WayFrae ! :mug:

No problem! I left the stray edges because I thought it looked kinda cool. I feel like to someone that didn't know it was a radar image it would look like paint splatter.

Looking to improve on this

Started with the middle part and it grew. This part stays the same with each batch, except for whatever ridiculous name I decide to give the batch

On the left is a description of the beer, in a font of my own handwriting, then a little about me using flags; US, VA, the Battle Ensign of the ship I was on, the VFW Cross & a Navy Jack.

On the right is the gubmint warning, a barcode for that batch + brewed& bottling dates in my handwriting font

What kind of improvements are you looking for? Can you be more specific?

This is what I came up with for yours. Let me know what you think!

2oEmYMt.png

That looks great, now I just have to throw that into some label maker software so that I have somewhere for the abv, volume, and name

Thanks

What kind of improvements are you looking for? Can you be more specific?

I'm not a graphic designer (lol, how can you tell?) so I can't really describe specific improvements. if I knew what improvements were needed, I could do them myself. It's exactly like my palate: I know when a beer is good, needs improvement or is very bad, it's just I can't describe how or what makes it fit into each category very well.

I know enough about using Photoshop to be dangerous, but not enough to get past anything but using layer effects.

was using a .psd file, but lost that in a HD crash, plus switching to Bottlemark to do printing, which will be a different size. so I'm basically redoing the entire label from scratch, while maintaining the same basic design.

I love my handwriting font, love how it gives the label a custom, homemade feel about it while still wanting the entire thing to look professionally designed. the other fonts can be replaced. I like the German/Gothic look of the main title, but think it's maybe a little too "busy" or too ornate, maybe? kind of hard to read

I'd like to keep all of the individual elements, but if the overall look would be better by not including one or two of them, that would be OK. better would be to resize and/or rearrange them. i like the way the label kind of follows the Rule of Thirds, but not worried about keeping that.

I like using the label for all my beers, just changing the few things unique to each batch. the name, the style (in the barcode), the hand-written description, the ABV, plus the Brewed & Bottling dates.

I want the label to tell a little about myself. other than homebrewing, music (play guitar) and photography are my big hobbies. I am proud of my service in the Navy and the ship I served on. I like the colors and design of the US flag (even have it on my guitar pickguard*). usually my labels are red, white and blue, but the one i included in this thread was for St Patrick's Day, so I changed it to green and a complimentary color.

*37262_1511593273514_2703869_n.jpg

Hey guys.. its not a label, but I have an old picture that I need something removed from. It should be a very quick, and simple fix for someone proficient with photoshop. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

edit: Sorry for not updating, this was taken care of nearly immediately. Thanks guys.

@JINKS - hey, bud...are you still in the label business? I've got the Beer Labelizer, but not having much luck with the fonts, pix etc. (using Chrome O/S)... :(

I was wondering if it might be possible to put this (or something in this style):

farm_animals_landscape_hi.jpg

On this green background:

attachment.php

For a "Kentucky Rye
Brown Ale"
- 6.5%/Vol - 375ml

Any help would be appreciated!

@JINKS - hey, bud...are you still in the label business? I've got the Beer Labelizer, but not having much luck with the fonts, pix etc. (using Chrome O/S)... :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Let me know if you need/want anything changed.1st try.jpg

Trying to stay with the Peasant theme.

Can't Leave it alone.jpg

To many choices!!

More Horses.jpg

Hey jinks, you did so well with my brewery logo and other people's labels I was wondering if you'd be interested in helping me with a label design.

Beer is based on the pirate strong ale recipe here on hbt and I'm trying to get a pirates of the Caribbean thing going, couldn't find a good pic of a capt jack sparrow that wasn't johnny depp so I am liking this pic of the pearl. Abv is estimated at 10.5%. I'm open to you changing whatever you feel helps the theme, I didn't like the beer labelizer options for this pic.

Edit: forgot to mention the name of the beer is "Capt. Jack's Strongarm Ale" by Flowerfield Brewery

View attachment 1428558324121.jpg

Back