The Watermelon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyVoid

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here.
So i am quite new to this home brewing thing and i just dove in head first. Problem im having is i missed the memo and i may have jumped in the extra deep end without my water wings. so what i have done is i chose to make my first wine a watermelon because it was cheap and easy to get my hands on. But since i got it in the carboy i found out its one of the harder wines to make. I am worried about it spoiling. i didnt use an acid blend tablet instead i brought it up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit for 26 minutes instead. I know not to assume its bad.... yet.... but how will i know if its spoiled? should i assume becuase i attempted pasteurizing instead of acid blend that im likely out of luck? im trying to figure out what to do as i have 4 more watermelons i was going to attempt to make mead with. But honey is not as cheap as sugar, i'd hate to waste 10lbs (or how ever much it takes) of honey just to have it spoil.
Please help.

Can't speak for how it will taste, (never made one) but maintaining that temperature for that long should have pasteurized it I would think. Hopefully you cooled it before adding yeast. I think most yeast dies around 130 or so. If the yeast got that hot and it ferments anyway, some other critter got in after the fact.

You'll know if a wild yeast has taken hold because it will have a prominent tart or sourness, more than just from the fruit.

Just an fyi, check out the other subforums here on wine and mead, you'll find lots of info and posts there might be seen by others with more experience in those. Just go the main page and scroll down for all the subforums. Cheers!

Back