The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of weapons. Seems more folks would have adopted something between a machete and Mishone's sword. Seems we'd be seeing more pike type weapons, too. Sure, have a normal sized knife, but not as the primary melee weapon.

Well at some point of your survival you probably will be without ammo for a period of time, unless you have your own private armory, salivating at the thought of a zombie apocalypse. We have seen a lot of defensive weapons to keep the zombies out of buildings, but never any "creative" zombie weapons. Surely, some guy has to still be alive making some awesome slaughtering machines or outfitting vehicles with all those unused parts at his disposal. Think back to the tractor store, all those parts waiting to be broken down to mow down a herd of walkers.

Oh damn, think about all the brew equipment you could find. I could finally get some Blichmanns, or take over as a head brewer at the local...I mean my new brewery! Yeah screw looking for ammo I'm stockpiling hops.

Speaking of weapons. Seems more folks would have adopted something between a machete and Mishone's sword. Seems we'd be seeing more pike type weapons, too. Sure, have a normal sized knife, but not as the primary melee weapon.

I'd be bringing back chain mail or something too. Bite on that bitches

Well at some point of your survival you probably will be without ammo for a period of time, unless you have your own private armory, salivating at the thought of a zombie apocalypse. We have seen a lot of defensive weapons to keep the zombies out of buildings, but never any "creative" zombie weapons. Surely, some guy has to still be alive making some awesome slaughtering machines or outfitting vehicles with all those unused parts at his disposal. Think back to the tractor store, all those parts waiting to be broken down to mow down a herd of walkers.

Oh damn, think about all the brew equipment you could find. I could finally get some Blichmanns, or take over as a head brewer at the local...I mean my new brewery! Yeah screw looking for ammo I'm stockpiling hops.

Forgot about the "Clear" episode? Morgan seemed to have a lot of interesting zombie killing traps.

TWD_GP_312_0912_02661.jpg

I think the main group simply hasn't had enough time to "get creative", such as it is.

We've seen a few armored up zombies, which I guess the show is trying to make a point with, and a few cast members have worn some gear, but why aren't folks wearing motorcycle riding suits or riot gear? I get that it would be hot to move around in full time, but the gear it out there in the world .

There is another series of books where they made coats of old wall to wall carpet. Nothing could bite thru that!

I think a standard machete with a lanyard from the handle and around your wrist would be the must have weak hand weapon. Small cal. Pistol for the strong hand. I'd go with 9mm just for mag cap. and ammo availability.

We've seen a few armored up zombies, which I guess the show is trying to make a point with, and a few cast members have worn some gear, but why aren't folks wearing motorcycle riding suits or riot gear? I get that it would be hot to move around in full time, but the gear it out there in the world .

My motorcycle leathers would not prevent something from biting through ... and yeah with a bit of sun they get hot.

The key worry with fighting zombies armored would be that the equipment would slow you down if you need to run. Armor might protect you from a single gnawing animated corpse, but if a whole horde is coming for you they'll find a way to bite you, or just crush you under their weight. In certain situations, like when you know you're going to clear out a group, I think it would work well though.

My motorcycle leathers would not prevent something from biting through ... and yeah with a bit of sun they get hot.

No? Shirley, they could be gnawed through, but mc leather is tough. And these are human teeth- square, not needle like snake fangs.

I've a pair of leather chaps, but mostly wear textile. It would be good for a few bites in a row.

The key worry with fighting zombies armored would be that the equipment would slow you down if you need to run. Armor might protect you from a single gnawing animated corpse, but if a whole horde is coming for you they'll find a way to bite you, or just crush you under their weight. In certain situations, like when you know you're going to clear out a group, I think it would work well though.

Yeah, it wouldnt be for 24/7 wear. An established group with a base could build an attack party with some armored members. Strategic -Go out. Fight. Come back. Tactical - Move armored members around in battle as needed.

I am not sure of the properties of leather compared to living flesh...but they seem to bite through living flesh pretty easily.

I am not sure of the properties of leather compared to living flesh...but they seem to bite through living flesh pretty easily.

Never seen a zombie bite a cow. But they did a number on that horse. It would be interesting to see a suit of armor walk into a bunch of biters.

So....that was a pretty nothing episode. The most interesting bit is that Morgan locked that Wolves guy in his house, that's going to come back to bite him in the ass, I think. Other than that, it's a little odd to see a fat bald white guy teach Aikido to a black man. It's vaguely interesting to see Morgan's back story, but quite honestly I feel like a few flash backs would have been more than enough, rather than a 90 minute episode. That said, now that we have that 90 minute episode, Morgan is almost certainly going to die.

I turned it on and saw what it was going to be and quit watching. I should have known they would do something lame like that after last week's show.

I'll watch it a little at a time as I get the time

That episode sucked. What a waste if a 90 minute episode... And especially after ending last week's episode like they did. I should have watched football instead of that crapfest episode.

No? Shirley, they could be gnawed through, but mc leather is tough. And these are human teeth- square, not needle like snake fangs.

I've a pair of leather chaps, but mostly wear textile. It would be good for a few bites in a row.

I agree that it is touch. I've been down a few times (on and off track) in full leathers and they've saved my hide (literally). You do make a point to about them being human teeth and I think you're correct. Didn't think of it that way.

+1 for a long, drawn out episode. Could've done without all of the back story...and I don't see how that guy could've lived for so long by himself being that loose about things.

+1 for a long, drawn out episode. Could've done without all of the back story...and I don't see how that guy could've lived for so long by himself being that loose about things.

Well, he seemed pretty adept at dispatching walkers, and the cabin was remote enough that apparently he hadn't gotten any visitors since he got back from Atlanta, at least until Morgan showed up. As someone who's hiked around the back woods of the south a few times (though never in Georgia), I'd say its pretty plausible, particularly since some areas are damn near impassable by foot in the rainy seasons.

I agree that it is touch. I've been down a few times (on and off track) in full leathers and they've saved my hide (literally). You do make a point to about them being human teeth and I think you're correct. Didn't think of it that way.

I agree that human (walker) teeth would have a real tough time getting through motorcycle leathers. I've also taken the pavement slide in good leathers and came out without any road rash (at 70mph)... Which makes me think if the zombie apocalypse ever comes, I may be dawning my one piece track suit!

Soft fashion leather would be an entirely different story though.

I enjoyed it...just that the timing was off. You can't build with last week's episode then show this. It certainly could not have been the premier, so I think the producers were a little stuck with where it should go.

For me, I liked the talk of evil in man and we really got a nice look into something we usually see in reverse: normal-to-broken characters. Here, we see the redemption.

90 minute episode was strange though.

I'm glad they did the episode so we had some closure as to why Morgan went from a complete mental case in Season 3 to the new zen Morgan we see now. I just think it was dumb to put it in the order they did. We have this huge cliff hanger episode and then they give us this. I also feel that it could have easily been done in an hour instead of having an extended episode.

This reminds me of the season of South Park where they were going to reveal who Cartman's father was and as an April Fools day joke instead they aired the Terrance and Phillip episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrance_and_Phillip_in_Not_Without_My_Anus

I'm glad they did the episode so we had some closure as to why Morgan went from a complete mental case in Season 3 to the new zen Morgan we see now. I just think it was dumb to put it in the order they did. We have this huge cliff hanger episode and then they give us this. I also feel that it could have easily been done in an hour instead of having an extended episode.

The episode wasn't bad on its own merits, but the placement was poor in this season, and extending it to 90 minutes seemed unnecessary. That, combined with removing Steven Yeun's name from the opening credits, feels like they're trying to milk "is Glenn alive or dead?" (Schrodinger's Glenn?) for all it's worth. Blah.

So, all of this "is Glenn dead or not" talk got me thinking about a different show, @Midnight, and an episode from last year in particular. NOTE: MAJOR COMIC BOOK SPOILERS AND POTENTIAL SHOW SPOILERS AHEAD! So, in the comic books a character named Negan shows up who bashes in Glenn's head with a barb wire baseball bat. Writer and co-creator Robert Kirkman appeared on the show along with Laura Cohan and Josh McDermitt for a Walking Dead themed episode. In a category of fake Walking Dead spoilers (that included Beth coming back as a talking crime-fighting dog), Robert Kirkman, deadpan, dropped said "spoiler", much to surprise of Laura Cohan and host (who also hosts the Talking Dead, of course), Chris Hardwick. What if he really did mean that it's a fake spoiler for the show though? As drainbamage pointed out, Steven Yuen is no longer a name listed in the credits, so what if we really did see Glenn's death? It certainly wouldn't be the first time Kirkman and company changed major storylines and character history as compared to the comics. If you're interested, here's a link to an article talking about it and the clip in question from @Midnight in full.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Walking-Dead-Robert-Kirkman-May-Have-Blurted-Out-An-Epic-Spoiler-70013.html

As drainbamage pointed out, Steven Yuen is no longer a name listed in the credits, so what if we really did see Glenn's death?

I don't think we did...I just think maybe the writers think they're more clever than they really are. It's like Terminus all over again:

Writers: "In next week's mid-season finale, Rick's group continues to follow the mysterious signs towards Terminus, which may not be quite what they hope it-"

Viewers: "-They're cannibals."

W: "What?"

V: "The cryptic signs, the meat on the grill, THE NAME TERMINUS. They're luring people there to kill and eat them."

W: "Terminus has a dark secret, but it isn't cannibalism. We promise."

3 months later...

W: "Surprise! The Termites eat people!"

V: :rolleyes:

A little off topic, but has anyone seen Sasha? Havn't seen her in recent episodes, even when the wolves were slaughtering the Alexandrians. Was she taking a nap through the massacre?

I'm pretty far from 100% sure that Glenn is dead, but the more I think about it the more I could see it being the case. Imagine the next episode like this: Maggie goes off with Aaron to find Glenn, she was gearing up all Rambo style in the promo and Aaron was trying to stop her, in town the Alexandrians are dealing with the fallout of the raid. Maggie has flashbacks while looking for Glenn of their time together that we didn't see in the show, towards the end of the episode you find out Maggie told Glenn she's pregnant right before the meeting where Rick laid out the plan (thus why Glenn was so insistent she not be involved, not just to prop up the glorious leader). Then, gut punch, they find Glenn but he's zombified! Aaron puts down walker Glenn while Maggie is paralyzed with horror/grief. Maggie falls to her knees in grief, cut to aerial view, zombie horde about to hit the walls with Rick just barely ahead of it.

A little off topic, but has anyone seen Sasha? Havn't seen her in recent episodes, even when the wolves were slaughtering the Alexandrians. Was she taking a nap through the massacre?

She was in the car leading the zombie parade away with Abraham, they briefly showed up at the end of the episode with rick in the RV when Rick radioed them. Sasha and Abraham are supposed to lead the zombie parade west a ways before losing them, so they won't return to Alexandria until after the remainder of the zombie horde hits Alexandria, I suspect.

HEY EVERYONE! I watched the 1st season and got turned off by the drama at the end when some woman overheard some dude talking to some girl. Seemed like an MTV drama and I dropped it.

So, my question is, is it worth picking up again? I don't like relationship dramas, hope that describes it. I like the zombies. Thanks for your consideration :)

Latest posts

Back