Quantcast

The ultimate horror!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

david_42

Reaction score
A local organization is putting on an Oktoberfest this weekend. The food, the costumes, the Oompa band ...

but no beer.

What's wrong with the Catholic Church?

Although it might just be OLCC's fault.

McKBrew

Reaction score
How do have Octoberfest with no beer . Its like Christmas with no tree
There is no Christmas anymore and you can be sued for suggesting such a thing.

There are no decorations, songs, costumes, etc... allowed at the non denominational, non religious winter solstice party

OP
david_42

david_42

Reaction score
There are no decorations, songs, costumes, etc... allowed at the non denominational, non religious winter solstice party
Not so, we welcome all.

jpc

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A local organization is putting on an Oktoberfest this weekend. The food, the costumes, the Oompa band ...

but no beer.

What's wrong with the Catholic Church?

Although it might just be OLCC's fault.
You should also bitch them out for having an Oktoberfest at this time of the year... Would they celebrate Christmas in November?

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What oompah band would play without beer! When I book a gig for our group, we always get food and beer as part of the deal. No beer, no gig!

godofcheese

Reaction score
How weird. I grew up in a catholic family, and almost every church function had some sort of alcohol for those of age.

Evan!

Reaction score
The hypocrisy of them banning alcohol at this event but then going and drinking wine in church every sunday and calling it blood, is comical.

kjung

Reaction score
Interesting ! At every public function in my town that takes place in the "main square", the only place serving beer IS the Catholic church, right across the street from the park.
Unfortunately, the only thing they serve is Miller products and wine coolers. :(
Octoberfest around here is nothing but a dream, unfortunately. This being a Dutch town, they won't do anything to celebrate another culture, especially one revolving around alcohol !!!

Cheaton

Reaction score
Never a shortage of alcoholic beverages at our catholic functions here in Cleveland. My guess is this is govt related, not religious. Permits? Fees?

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's because no-one has produced the "Blood of Christ" barleywine.

Call it the blood of christ and it's an open bar at the pulpit.

OP
david_42

david_42

Reaction score
Yes, it could be government related,. The basic laws governing alcohol were set down in 1933 by a bunch of people who, since they couldn't ban booze any more, decided to make it as difficult as possible to make, distribute and serve. They don't call it the Oregon Liquor CONTROL Commission for nothing. A couple years ago, they passed a rule that banned children from beer fests, but not from wineo activities. I think it lasted a week.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
You should also bitch them out for having an Oktoberfest at this time of the year... Would they celebrate Christmas in November?
This was my thought, Oktoberfest ended on 10/4, they're a couple weeks too late. I thinks it's about time for my annual St. Paddy's day celebration. :cross: