The slow decline of Founders Brewing, is it true or just a myth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is Founders slowly declining as a brewery?

• Sure is

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Maybe, but no real evidence to support that claim

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • No way

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Other breweries are just better now

Votes: 67 43.8%

• Total voters
It's pretty damn good. I wouldn't put it ahead of those two that you mentioned, but it's really good and a helluva lot better than I expected.
I agree with ya the only reason i did is because even at basically two months old it still bursting with flavor. Now fresh as hell two hearted draft and DripA may stil, be better to me but I rarely find that.

I agree with ya the only reason i did is because even at basically two months old it still bursting with flavor. Now fresh as hell two hearted draft and DripA may stil, be better to me but I rarely find that.
I'll agree Mosaic Promise has held up really well. Will likely grab 6 more yet.

Didn't care to read the rest of this thread, other breweries aren't getting better, Founder's is just gone to **** (started as smaller-intestine pre-peristalsis matter).

Founder's is literally my least favorite brewery, raymo55.

If founders doesn't make mosaic promise year round or even seasonal it will be their biggest business blunder. I think between a few of us we have bought 5 cases. I think its the best Michigan made ipa, passed DripA and two hearted for me.

It's pretty damn good. I wouldn't put it ahead of those two that you mentioned, but it's really good and a helluva lot better than I expected.
You're both right?

Man, I love CBS. I can't speak for the masses, but I'd be stoked to hear about another batch.
If they ever released it again it would be a total ******** though.

1 case per account, beer geeks fighting in the streets... trading 6:1 for better beers...

... followed by dozens of even hundreds of pages on every beer forum of people bitching about how it's not as good as the first bottled release.

If they ever released it again it would be a total ******** though.

1 case per account, beer geeks fighting in the streets... trading 6:1 for better beers...

... followed by dozens of even hundreds of pages on every beer forum of people bitching about how it's not as good as the first bottled release.

which wasn't as good as the previous draft version ;)

mosaic promise and dark penance are awesome beers and with the announcement of the raspberry stout and the black rye coming out first of the new year i would have to say founders is actually doing work right now and recapturing my attention for the first time in a while.

this years backstage series is also doing amazing imo. yea dissenter wasn't as good as mmmkay (6pack for same price) but it was still really good. smoked porter was one of my favorite new beers of the whole year and big lush sounds absolutely amazing .

if anything i see founders picking up steam right now.

They started distributing in the UK 18 months ago. Everyone was excited because it's the legendary Founders that we'd been hearing so much about.

Then we all tried the core range and realized they weren't that great. I do quite like the porter though.

Founders, just make Black Biscuit again.
If the backstage series is designed to bottle popular draft only one-offs that you have done in the past, then do that; you have made amazing experimental drafts that could easily be remade in this vein.
I love Founders, they are what got me started into craft beer, but keep re-inventing, keep making things interesting, and for god sakes, keep thinking outside the box since that is how you got to where you are now.

Backwoods_Bastard_Snifter_Front-620x620.jpg

That's a cool glass, just ordered two of them. Backwoods is by far my favorite Founders beer so had to have it.

Also, Breakfast Stout this fall is ****ing awesome. Seems more awesome than ever. Not sure if they tweaked it at all or what, but it's great.

Lastly, while ordering the glasses on their website, saw they have something called Pumpkinmudgeon on tap in the tasting room. They say, Pumpkinmudgeon is Curmudgeon that was aged in bourbon barrels and then infused with Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Clove, Ginger and Mace. SIGN ME UP FOR THAT. Backstage for Fall of 2015 please? (Except maybe, in addition to all of that, add some actual pumpkin.)

i just wanna try CBS, i dont care if theres no maple flavor left its a ****ing stout thats not even THAT old, you know you have one collecting dust just send it my way for immediate consumption and science !

i just wanna try CBS, i dont care if theres no maple flavor left its a ****ing stout thats not even THAT old, you know you have one collecting dust just send it my way for immediate consumption and science !
Like this one. ;)
MbXk6Ls.jpg

Seriously, though, I just wanted to say I cracked my first Backwoods of the year and it is phenomenal. Creamy, vanilla, bourbon bomb.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: dat CBS

i have a backwoods from last year im gonna crack i didnt get a fresh bottle yet but i liked it more than KBS please don't kill me. also that backwoods bastard glass is awesome tempted to buy one

Last edited:

That's a cool glass, just ordered two of them. Backwoods is by far my favorite Founders beer so had to have it.

Also, Breakfast Stout this fall is ****ing awesome. Seems more awesome than ever. Not sure if they tweaked it at all or what, but it's great.

Lastly, while ordering the glasses on their website, saw they have something called Pumpkinmudgeon on tap in the tasting room. They say, Pumpkinmudgeon is Curmudgeon that was aged in bourbon barrels and then infused with Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Clove, Ginger and Mace. SIGN ME UP FOR THAT. Backstage for Fall of 2015 please? (Except maybe, in addition to all of that, add some actual pumpkin.)
Where the **** is maple syrup gonna disappear to anyways? It's liquid sugar. I haven't had bottled CBS but I can't imagine it's gone that far downhill.

ANY yearly version of BA Curmudgeon would be great. Do it every year just in bourbon barrels.

Where the **** is maple syrup gonna disappear to anyways? It's liquid sugar. I haven't had bottled CBS but I can't imagine it's gone that far downhill.

I had my last CBS bottle in Feb 2013 and it had already started to develop a slight mint flavor that I've also detected in my last Better Half bottle (Nov 2013) and a bottle of 2010 Nemesis (July 2014).

I had my last CBS bottle in Feb 2013 and it had already started to develop a slight mint flavor that I've also detected in my last Better Half bottle (Nov 2013) and a bottle of 2010 Nemesis (July 2014).
I got cidery flavors from Better Half when I had it on tap last spring.

This is opinion obv but blushing monk is the best fruit beer even with all of NG fruited beers. Clearly NG ain't no slouch though!!!! I love them all but the strawberry rhubarb

Back