The relationship between TDS and min/max water pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
This plus $3.50 will (perhaps) get you a good cup of coffee:

pH(max) = 6.46*TDS^0.05384

pH(min) = 8.2438*TDS^-0.080983

*Seems to work reasonably down to roughly TDS = ~6 ppm, then it sort of falls apart
**Presumes that TDS = 0.64 x Microsiemens (or uS/cm)

Derived from a chart seen at: https://puretecwater.com/downloads/relationship-between-ph-and-deionized-water.pdf
(chart is on page 4)

Correlation coefficient R = 1.000 for pH(max), and 0.995 for pH(min)
(when the conductivity value seen for pH 7 on the web-linked chart is excluded from the non-linear regressions)

Disclaimer: Please don't shoot the messenger. I was bored this morning. All I did was convert conductivity into a likely 'nominal' TDS and then regress the data I found in a chart on this website. If the source data is incorrect at this website I am not to blame.

Last edited:
PS: I forgot to mention that the charts 6.5 pH minimum for conductivity =0.2 is a typo error on the part of whomever generated this web-linked chart, and it should read 5.5.

Lawrence, that is an interesting bit of information. I'm just wondering how useful it will be to a brewer.

Probably not very useful, but who knows. Someone may eventually find a practical use for it.

BTW: Still waiting for my latest email update of Bru'n Water. The 1.24 free version seems to have finally pretty much completely laid to rest the varying pH output issues I've been seeing when varying the water to grist ratio on all previous versions. Nicely done!

Back