The quest for the perfect burner/stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToV

Reaction score
Before I start, I know everyone has their own rig and they love it and as far as they are concerned it is the absolute best. I understand, I feel the same about my equipment, even if I know that if I make it again I will do something differently.

Ok, I have brewed a couple batches using two of my buddies burners. One has a king cooker, which is a nice height, but not really wide enough to handle a converted keg (he has welded stops in place to hold the keg) and my other buddy has a square patio stove that seems to be so popular among homebrewers it will fit a converted keg perfectly, but it is too short to gravity feed out through a counter-flow and into the primary, so he uses a stack of cinder blocks.

If I am going to buy something I am going to buy the right tool for the job.

So on to what I am looking for:

1) Propane burner and stand that can comfortably fit a converted keg
2) Can provide enough heat to heat a 10 gallon batch
3) Obviously can support a keg and 10 gallons of beer
4) A height of at least 18 inches, but preferably 22 inches or taller.

Price is not a problem within reason (so no 1000 dollar rigs), I have one friend who can weld, but he just started and I do not feel entirely comfortable with his work yet, so I would prefer to buy something ready made.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My choices would be different depending on how you want to use the burner. I like this one for the BK:

SH140L Maximum Output Single Cooker - Camp Chef

That's from the Camp Chef directly, so you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

For a direct fired mash tun I would go with the low pressure version of the same cooker. I'm using this one for that purpose:

SL30L Universal Output Single Burner - Camp Chef

They have changed the design of the low pressure cooker stand since I bought mine, but it's basically the same burner.

I like the SQ-14 a lot, but as you mentioned, it's low to the ground. I fixed that by adding some 1-1/4" iron pipe leg extensions.

The ones I would avoid are the diffuser type burners, the multi-jet burners and the large single jet type. Many like the Hurricane and Banjo burners, but they have more power than I need or want.

I want to be able to set the burner to a very low flame level for mashing and I want some decent heat output for the boil.

You hit it on the head though, everyone loves their burners no matter which one they have. It's very similar to the grain mill thing. You'd think they were all identical in performance, but they aren't.

How much work are you willing to do on your own? You could very easily make a wood box out of some 2x4s and plywood to raise the burner up to the height you need. Even a sturdy table or a deck would work to give you the height you need to gravity feed.

Your options are probably going to be limited to find something that high, so you would most likely be paying a premium for the stand.

Apparently Blichmann has been working on a modular brew stand and they've developed their own burner that's supposed to be super awesome for home brewing. Here's the info I got:

Top Tier Modular Brewing Stand

About the new TopTier brewing stand: it is a completely MODULAR design and can be used with any manufacturers pots, converted kegs, and round or rectangular coolers. The black powder coated legs, 100% stainless steel burner frames and support structure, and anodized aluminum post are not only attractive, but designed to last a lifetime. Since the shelf/burner locations are infinitely adjustable, and can be placed on all four sides of the main support post, it will grow with the brewer as his or her brewing techniques, equipment, and batch sizes evolve through their lifetime. Here is a link to the preliminary pics and information: TopTier Modular Brewing Stand

Top Tier Brew Stand Burner

About the burners: John Blichmann has done extensive testing and tuning of the TopTier burners, regulators, orifices, and wind guards to maximize efficiency and improve flame stability outdoors. The result is a burner that is whisper quiet, uses less fuel, and heats significantly faster than any similar burner on the market! (John will have data charts on his web page soon). And it’s virtually impossible to flame-out in windy conditions. Add to it the simple things like the ability to safely support a keg, pot safety retaining bars , a hole in the frame for burner ignition, a quality adjustable regulator (for fine tuning your flame) and stainless braided hose, and you have the ultimate brewing burner.

Due to this versatility, it is being offered in a unique way. You’ll purchase the base stand itself which consists of the legs, main support post, 3 pair of shelf arms (to support the burners and shelves), regulator, wheel kit, and misc hardware. Then you’ll add the desired quantity of burners or shelves for each of the 3 tiers (mix & match up to 3 total) to complete the stand. Also Blichmann is offering a floor-standing TopTier burner by itself for the extract brewer! So when the brewer advances to all grain brewing the TopTier burner is upgrade ready! (an installation kit is required) Blichmann also offers optional 24” leg extensions for the floor standing burners so the wort can be gravity drained into a carboy.

I haven't tried it, but it sounds like it was definitely designed with brewing & efficiency in mind which may well put it ahead of the other burners out there. Then there's the Blichmann price... The price I've seen on the floor-standing burner is $135. The 24" extension legs go for $35 and the kit to mount the floor-standing burner to the Blichmann stand is $30. Relatively pricey, but if it does what it says...

Looks to me it's just a Hurricane or Banjo burner with a windscreen added. I don't see anything new about it and those burners have a reputation for guzzling fuel although I don't see why you can't simply dial them down some to reduce fuel consumption.

Here's a link to a truly different burner design:

Eastman Outdoors Cooking Hardware, Accessories & Flavoring Systems

The burner stand looks to be rather flimsy, but the actual burner itself is something knew. Unfortunately, you can't buy the burner without the stand if that's what you want to do. I tried to buy just the burner and it was a no go from Eastman. Don't know why that would be, but it is.

Here it's listed at $49.95 which is a pretty good price:

Eastman Outdoors Eastman Outdoors Revolution Burner With Hose And Regulator at Cooking.com

I really want to get one of these to try out. When I do, I will report back. It's has good reviews and a couple of them are from other home brewers.

Go to a yardsale/flea market and buy an old cast iron aquarium stand..(20 or 30 gallon). Cut/modify your burner to fit on it. I did this and it's cheap and works great!!

newpot1.jpg

I have the Eastman burner it came with a turkey fryer set. The stand is stronger than it looks. I cut off the tabs and placed a round grill grate on top for my new 10 gal stock pot.

I have the Eastman burner it came with a turkey fryer set. The stand is stronger than it looks. I cut off the tabs and placed a round grill grate on top for my new 10 gal stock pot.

beerbuddy - Can you give us some feedback on that burner. The actual burner is what I am interested in mostly. It's called a Revolution burner and I looked at the patent drawings of it awhile back.

Some pics of it at full bore and at it's lowest setting would be cool, especially if you could take them up fairly close in a somewhat darkened room so we can take a look at the flame pattern. The burner appears to be quite unique in its design. I'm wondering if the performance is also unique. I have two good burners, but I also think that there is room for improvement. The Eastman one might just fill the bill. It certainly looks promising.

Academy Sports and Outdoors Fryers

Outdoor Gourmet Style#: OGSBF-100 at Academy Sports and OUtdoor, $30
0262-01287-0002-p1.jpg

Adjustable HI/LO pressure
160,000-BTU
UL- approved regulator and hose

has about 1/2 inch clearance for me to fit my keggel in it. I had to mount my ball valve 2inches above the weld, but with a siphon tube inside, I can siphon it all out. stands the keg about 17 inches off the ground.

They also have this guy for $120
0267-01287-0001-p1.jpg

Heavy-duty angle-iron construction
Dual high-pressure burners with dual-control regulator
Wheels provide easy mobilty

Well I won't be dragging it until at least September when it cools down around here a bit.

But here is a picture of it from the last brew session.

BrewSetup.jpg

SWMBO wanted me to cook some corn and it was just too damn hot to cook it in doors so I dragged out the Eastman

Low which is hot enough to keep the boil rolling.
low.jpg

High which I seldom use
high.jpg

Tlhanks for the pics. That's pretty impressive. Can you turn the flame down lower than shown. That's still more heat than I need for my MT. I'm gonna buy one of those soon. That burner is really a unique design.

It will go about a half of a turn lower before it shuts off. I did use on my last batch when I steeped some toasted buckwheat for a GF beer for a friend of mine. I tried to keep it at 150 for 30 min. but did end up shutting off when the temp started to creep up.

I wonder if an adjustable pressure regulator would permit it to run even lower. I want to use if for my manual RIMS on the MLT and need it very low. I have a low pressure ring burner that does just that, but it lacks horsepower on the upper end. I'm looking for something to work well at both high and very low settings. I'm still gonna buy the Eastman. I'm sure I can get it to run really low somehow.

Back