The PVC issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightstalker

Reaction score
OK, I FINALLY got my 10 gal round cooler. Natually I could not be more excited. 1 going to upgrade if you will from BIAB to a mash run, just need to decide on a manifold. After much searching about manifold variations (braid, PVC, CPVC, or copper) I settled on going big with copper. Yay me right. Well ..... the whole time I was reading all these threads I had a question burning a hole in my head. ....... Why is everyone complaining about PVC but NOT THE PLASTIC COOLER????!!!!!?????!!!!

What is the cooler made of? Is it the same as PVC. Could it be the killer BPA plastic? If the same as PVC, is it leaching these chemical that people are saying PVC will? I went on the search. Did not take long at all ...http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...tId=WaterCoolers&Prod_ID=RP091235&Redirect=1#

Rubbermaid them self does not recommend their coolers for mash tuns/home brewing and will not say what type of plastic. I should have stuck with BIAB I am thinking, but dangit, I was excited about doing an all grain the "cooler" way.

First off BPA is not a plastic it's an additive used in some plastics, most commonly polycarbonate. I think most of the recent concerns with Bisphenol-A stemmed from it's use in polycarbonate drinking bottles. Coolers are not made of PVC they're made of polyethylene and/or polypropylene. Both of these materials are considered food safe by the FDA. Cooler manufacturers do not endorse using their products for our use of mashing because the temperatures can exceed the recommended service parameters (max 180F) of the materials. Unless you get to combustion temperatures for the material, in the ranges you might encounter making beer the problem is one of deforming not decomposition. BTW do not use PVC for a manifold it is not made to take the higher temperatures. Only CPVC tubing which is sold in hardware and home stores as certified for household hot water usage is acceptable for a mash tun manifold.

I use a igloo cooler with a false bottom and get great results from fly sparging.

It may cost a bit more to set up but I thin you will really appreciate the results

Back