The perfectly, flawed fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I got this new fridge that my 7 gallon fermentor fits into perfectly with limited space. The catch is, the warmest is 51 degrees f. This temp is out of range for notingham yeast. What are some of my options to bring the fermentor to optimal temperature?

Thanks, Dave

I got this new fridge that my 7 gallon fermentor fits into perfectly with limited space. The catch is, the warmest is 51 degrees f. This temp is out of range for notingham yeast. What are some of my options to bring the fermentor to optimal temperature?

Thanks, Dave
did you install a temp override?

With a little knowledge about wiring, a soldering iron, a thermostat, some spare wire, and a relay, you can provide temperature control for ~$35. That is what I did with my fermentation cabinet. Just remove the fridges thermostat, install the relay using the thermostat cooling cycle to switch it, and viola! Temperature control! For details, check out the fermentation cabinet link in my sig. It is in there somewhere.

Grant if you don't know how or are not confident in your abilities, it may be safer to go with the RANCO controller mentioned above.

cool, thanks for the replies so far. I might put a twist on this though.

Assuming i bought a chest freezer, could i use the thermostats to bring the temp up to ale or down to lager fermentation range?

Assuming i bought a chest freezer, could i use the thermostats to bring the temp up to ale or down to lager fermentation range?

Yes.

The other fridge in the OP though I take just can't get cold enough. If that is the case, an external temperature control won't help. Unless the existing temp control is the problem. Confirm that the cooling mechanicals are good before putting too much into it.

Thanks, Dave

You will have to have to have a heater in it to bring the temp up to ale temps. You cant get a fridge up that high no matter what controller you use.

The temp control depends on the ambient temperature. If it is 80º F outside, then you will not need a heater. If it is 50º you will. There are two paths you can take. 1) use a single stage temperature controller and switch its operating mode between heating and cooling. 2) use a dual stage controller and have both a heating element and the fridge internals controlling the fermentation temperature.

My sig has a build for a dual stage controller install in my side-by-side conversion thread.

You will have to have to have a heater in it to bring the temp up to ale temps. You cant get a fridge up that high no matter what controller you use.

Not true. Assuming the ambient temp is warmer than the desired temp setting and the fridge/freezer mechanicals are in good shape an external temp controller will allow you to set the internal temp to any where between coold fridge temps and ambient.

If you are putting this in a garage in michigan then you will need a dual range and a heat source for fermenting during the winter. :)

Craig

Not true. Assuming the ambient temp is warmer than the desired temp setting and the fridge/freezer mechanicals are in good shape an external temp controller will allow you to set the internal temp to any where between coold fridge temps and ambient.

If you are putting this in a garage in michigan then you will need a dual range and a heat source for fermenting during the winter. :)

But this is not the OP question he wanted to know what he would need to get it warmer then 51 deg. So I am assuming the outside temp is not keeping it warm enought inside the fridge.and for that he would need some way to heat it.
And the fridge. will not work for that U will need a heater And the fridge working together to keep the disired temp.

What you dont think it gets cold in Florida in the winter & spring? :)

With a little knowledge about wiring, a soldering iron, a thermostat, some spare wire, and a relay, you can provide temperature control for ~$35. That is what I did with my fermentation cabinet. Just remove the fridges thermostat, install the relay using the thermostat cooling cycle to switch it, and viola! Temperature control! For details, check out the fermentation cabinet link in my sig. It is in there somewhere.

Grant if you don't know how or are not confident in your abilities, it may be safer to go with the RANCO controller mentioned above.

And here is a write up of something just like that. Digital Controller

And here is a write up of something just like that. Digital Controller

Yeah, I think I have a link for that in my DIY thread. Just be sure that if you do that to bypass an existing fridge thermostat to use a relay between the fridges circut and your thermostat.

I do believe my total cost for that was ~$20 for the thermostat, $5 for the relay, and some various odds and ends - so ~$30 total and no problems for about a year now.

Back