The Perfect Pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
When I go to pull a pint of beer, if I just let loose on the tap, the glass ends up around 3/4 or more foam. BUT, if I dump a quick squirt (turn on and off), literally the first inch of foam that comes out, the pour is perfect. Not sure why, but I recommend this method. You only lose a medicine cup full of beer.

BTW: I only need to do this on the very first beer from a tap that has been sitting overnight. All the others are perfect.

BTW: I do have cool air coming into my tower.

It sounds like even though you have cold air blowing into the tower, the beer in the line between the keg and the tap is warm (or at least warmer than the beer in the keg). Warm beer foams more because it will not hold as much CO2 in suspension.

By pulling the first ounce or two of beer out of the line and drinking/dumping it, you have now made the lines full of cold beer. Drinking/dumping those first couple of ounces is important otherwise you will simply be pouring additional cold beer into the warm couple of ounces already in the glass which will cause even more foaming.

Back