The Perfect Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilcan

Reaction score
The Perfect Batch, you know the one, the one where everything goes smooth, no hitches, no mess, no mistakes, it goes just like book...step by step...really, has anyone had one of those because I sure haven't?

You know that feeling that "wanting" is better than "having"...I have them all the time, you look at a big screen TV, or a computer or a new car, and as soon as you get it you could care less, even though you still have the payments to prove you have it?

That's the way it is with me and brewing beer... Every now and then I get this "wanting" feeling to brew and everytime it turns out the same way... I swear it looks like a Marx brothers routine, by the time I'm done I've tracked extract all over the house, I've got 80 dirty dishes from God only what, from God only knows where, I'll bet I've sterilized my fermenter 50 times because I can't remember if I did it or not.

A couple of months from now I'll have that same ole "feeling" and that Ground Hog Day movie will start all over again.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

Been there brotha....all I can say is that it has to be fun or your gonna quit! My advancement in brewing came after I had brewed 5 or 6 kits...at that point I realized I needed to get oraganized, semi-drunk and put on some good music...pretty soon I had amazing beers, some of which people have entered in to contest and won gold medals....so my only advice is plan, drink, listen and relax!

Happy Brewing!

You need a plan dude.
I plan out each brew, to most minor degree. I recently racked to secondary a Two Hearted Ale clone. Started with harvesting yeast from Oberon two weeks prior to brew... The point is two weeks prior to the start of harvesting I had the recipe entered into my spreadsheet and calculated the numbers....Then I wrote out on paper the step by step from harvesting to dry hopping when I racked to secondary. Seems crazy but I spend 3 weeks planning a brew and writing it out before I even order the grain. The Two Hearted Ale clone.. went perfect, and was absolutely perfect even flat and warm. will bottle it in 7 to 10 days... Planing and documenting ... the key to perfect brew days.... so I say dude you need a plan.

www.brewersfriend.com has some nice brew day checklists that you can print out to help keep your brew day organized. Stay one step ahead, know what you're doing before you need to do it. Stick with it. Once you get your routine worked out, brew day can become much more relaxing and enjoyable.

You need a plan dude.
I plan out each brew, to most minor degree. I recently racked to secondary a Two Hearted Ale clone. Started with harvesting yeast from Oberon two weeks prior to brew... The point is two weeks prior to the start of harvesting I had the recipe entered into my spreadsheet and calculated the numbers....Then I wrote out on paper the step by step from harvesting to dry hopping when I racked to secondary. Seems crazy but I spend 3 weeks planning a brew and writing it out before I even order the grain. The Two Hearted Ale clone.. went perfect, and was absolutely perfect even flat and warm. will bottle it in 7 to 10 days... Planing and documenting ... the key to perfect brew days.... so I say dude you need a plan.

+1

After moving to All-Grain I made myself a "brew schedule" that I adjust for the recipe and print out on the brew day. Basically its just a step-by-step plan I can read over when I inevitably hit the "Uhhh... What am I supposed to do now?" in my brew day.

Something to consider is a dress rehearsal. Try your brew day tasks without any ingredients. Figure out what pots, utensils, bowls, tubes, and so on you'll need. Simulate the work you'll do to steep, boil, cool, and start to ferment your wort. Since you'll have no ingredients at risk (and don't even need to use heat) you'll be in a good position to experiment without time pressure.

Back