The most overrated band and/or singer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is funny when it's serious. There's probably not any band or singer that once well-known and popular can't be called over-rated. Particularly true when enough time has passed that the band's relevance has diminished.

For my own contribution to this thread, I'll name The Ramones.

I like The Ramones, but that's because I like most punk. But I also think they get an insurmountable amount of recognition and credit, even though they weren't the first (or best) punk band of that era.

JMO :)

I call them "One Dimension"

and when anyone tries to correct me, I tell them, "no, I'm pretty sure they're One Dimension"

1235440_690612150971691_1413452675_n.jpg

The Eagles

Wow really?

I know! just because I really can't stand to listen to them anymore doesn't mean they're overrated

just because Henley, Frey and Feldner are all bu**-reaming a-holes, doesn't mean they aren't talented

but Joe Walsh could play an out-of-tune guitar and fart into a mic and I would still applaud like a madman. I just can't seem to bring myself to dislike the guy

There is some really decent stuff that has come out in the last 10-12 years if you have a strange eclectic taste in music...The Decemberists early stuff, frightened rabbit, some of Bright eyes early stuff (love fevers and mirrors, but it may be more tied to my mindset when I first heard the album)

but Green Day and U2 are my overrated artists

also heard that Kurt Cobain was working with Michael Stipe before he passed, I think those results would have really shown what he could have become away from Nirvana...sadly we will never know...

Eagles.

But I do have three times as many James Gang albums than Eagles albums because the Eagles album came into the house with SWMBO.

I also saw Eagles open for Yes.

Nobody mentioned Tom Petty, which I don't think is overrated BTW.

well, actually...

except for "Runnin' Down a Dream" I would say the 2 TP albums produced by Jeff Lynne were both highly overrated

can't stand the way he does backing vocal tracks. ruined Roy Orbison's "You Got It"

Nobody mentioned Tom Petty, which I don't think is overrated BTW.

Someone will think he's overrated. Every artist who sold anything is overrated by someone. It could be a ****ty cover band who gets gigs and there will be someone out there thinking they're overrated cause people are clapping for them and they keep getting gigs.

Someone will think he's overrated. Every artist who sold anything is overrated by someone. It could be a ****ty cover band who gets gigs and there will be someone out there thinking they're overrated cause people are clapping for them and they keep getting gigs.

I love getting paid to play gigs in my sh*tty, overrated cover band

I love getting paid to play gigs in my sh*tty, overrated cover band

And there's someone I'm sure out there who thinks you're overrated. Personally I just vibe with what I like and ignore what I don't.

There's no way to quantify music quality. For example by pretty much every standard Derek Jeter is overrated by more than a few yankees fans (one person I heard say he's one of the 5 greatest players of all time) and I quantifiably prove why he's being overrated by that person.

Eagles.

But I do have three times as many James Gang albums than Eagles albums because the Eagles album came into the house with SWMBO.

I also saw Eagles open for Yes.

I don't care much for the Eagles but Joe Walsh is one hell of a guitar player.

Back