The most overrated band and/or singer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys will name some bands that I love, but Bob Dylan is just horrible. Maybe one good album. For 30 years people think he's a genius. I just don't get it.

Oh and the Dave Matthews Band. Mediocre at best, but I think is totally overrated.

dylan's a GREAT songwriter, horrible singer

overrated band + singer = Nirvana & Kurt Cobain

listen to the Foo Fighters and then tell me who the true musical genius was in Nirvana

I would have to agree. I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan. They are one band that is very underrated. IMO.

listen to the Foo Fighters and then tell me who the true musical genius was in Nirvana

You nailed it.

Overrated.. whatever "boy band" is currently popular.

Speaking of which.. why aren't there "girl bands"? Oh, that's right.. because a bunch of 40-something year-old soccer dads swooning over teenage girls is considered "bad form".

Over Rated
Beyonce, and all other chick singer/dancers these days. Same old sh**
AC/CD. Sorry, but since Bon Scott died, I hate that band. That singer sucks ass.
Beatles. Sorry again, I know I'm supposed to say that they are the best, but they 'aint.
John fu***ng MellonHead. Hate him.
Yes, Dave Mathews.
Sting

overrated band + singer = Nirvana & Kurt Cobain

Saw the title and immediately thought this!!! I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Good to know there are others out there with some sense! :mug:

I really don't believe he had the influence so many say he did. Some, yes, but I think it's overemphasized.

I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but for me, the title of the most overrated band or signer goes to...

The Beatles

I like their music. I think they were a great band. They were incredibly influential and continue to be.

But I like their music, I don't love it, and given that they are widely considered to be one of the if not the best rock band ever, that counts as overrated, in my opinion.

Beatles fans, flame away!

I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this, but for me, the title of the most overrated band or signer goes to...

The Beatles

I like their music. I think they were a great band. They were incredibly influential and continue to be.

But I like their music, I don't love it, and given that they are widely considered to be one of the if not the best rock band ever, that counts as overrated, in my opinion.

Beatles fans, flame away!

I love the Beatles and disagree with almost every word you wrote

but no flame, no flak, we just disagree

wouldn't the world suck if we all liked the same things?

Here's another I just thought of, Jimmy Buffet.

If I have to listen to (or play) another Buffet song, I'm gonna pull a Cobain.

Sweet guitar, BTW... I'll attach mine below.. ;-)

Over Rated

See above.

Saw the title and immediately thought this!!! I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Good to know there are others out there with some sense! :mug:

I really don't believe he had the influence so many say he did. Some, yes, but I think it's overemphasized.

The greatest contribution Cobain made to the music world was swallowing buckshot. When he placed HIGHER on the "top 50 best guitarists" list than SRV, I canceled my subscription to RS.

Others:

Skynyrd... sick of them.
Classic Rock... sick of it.
Nickelback... okay, I like Nickelback, I just can't stand Chad Kroger for whatever reason.
Rush... One of the most talented bands out there. Can't stand them.
Dave Matthews/Barenaked Ladies/Hootie and the Blowfish... yuck.
RHCP... although I love Flea, and think their cover of "Higher Ground" was incredible.
Nelson.
Metallica... post-Black album.

etc.

And.. for Bulls Beers...

183539_1860795888088_5246428_n.jpg

Not a fan, either. In general, I hate all the jam bands that are super popular in Colorado these days. I guess I don't get the appeal, given that I don't toke up.

"Jam bands" are the worst thing ever. (Add Grateful Dead to my list of overrated bands).

Because I want to sit at a bar and listen to some idiot solo in Em pentatonic (but switch it up to Gmaj pentatonic for variety!!) for 4 hours.

*eyeroll*

If I have to listen to (or play) another Buffet song, I'm gonna pull a Cobain.

Sweet guitar, BTW... I'll attach mine below.. ;-)

See above.

The greatest contribution Cobain made to the music world was swallowing buckshot. When he placed HIGHER on the "top 50 best guitarists" list than SRV, I canceled my subscription to RS.

Others:

Skynyrd... sick of them.
Classic Rock... sick of it.
Nickelback... okay, I like Nickelback, I just can't stand Chad Kroger for whatever reason.
Dave Matthews/Barenaked Ladies/Hootie and the Blowfish... yuck.
RHCP... although I love Flea, and think their cover of "Higher Ground" was incredible.
Nelson.
Metallica... post-Black album.

etc.

And.. for Bulls Beers...

Very nice. I'm a big LP fan. Great color too.

Over Rated
Beyonce, and all other chick singer/dancers these days. Same old sh**
AC/CD. Sorry, but since Bon Scott died, I hate that band. That singer sucks ass.
Beatles. Sorry again, I know I'm supposed to say that they are the best, but they 'aint.
Yes, Dave Mathews.
Sting

AC/DC Really??? You're crazy. They are one of the best hard rock bands of all time. Booooo!!!!!

I would admit that radio has kinda over played it my a million, but you can't say overrated..Again, Boooo!!!:D

Another "oh no you di'n't"...

Led Zeppelin... Robert Plant's voice bugs me for a start... I don't care for Bonham's drumming, absolutely ruins Black Dog by dragging the beat back, doesn't even sound like he's playing the same song... Page is a pretty good player and a good producer, but his plagiarism really kills me. How the heck many songs did that guy steal from other artists and try to weasel out of royalties. puff.... Not saying I hate them, but I really think they are miles off from the hype surrounding them.

Led Zeppelin... Robert Plant's voice bugs me for a start... I don't care for Bonham's drumming, absolutely ruins Black Dog by dragging the beat back, doesn't even sound like he's playing the same song... Page is a pretty good player and a good producer, but his plagiarism really kills me. How the heck many songs did that guy steal from other artists and try to weasel out of royalties. puff.... Not saying I hate them, but I really think they are miles off from the hype surrounding them.

My favorite band :)

brewmcq said:

I'd say Rush is the most underrated band... Ever.

Oasis
Jay Z
Eminem

Now that's overrated

Kanye West

Pure crap.

Interesting...Bonham is my favorite element in that band. In My Time of Dying is some of the best drumming, in my opinion... JP Jones, great bass player. But I knew Zep would come up in this thread, especially the Page plagiarism.

Everyone mentioned in the post is overrated IMHO . Try Brahms, Palestrina, Lutoslowski, George Crumb, Charles Ives, or Steve da sleeve. Pop music is a vast wasteland.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

The Beatles.

Most overrated band in the history of rock n' roll.

Coming in after them: Nirvana, the Doors, DMB, Steve Miller Band, Pink Floyd, and Zeppelin.

I could go on, but I'm sure I'll get flamed enough for the ones I've already listed.

Back