The most overrated band and/or singer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewWestBrewer said:

That's your opinion. I believe that if some one that had never heard pearl jam was to sit in a bar and listen to them play there "hits". I bet most people would walk away saying either they were ok of flat out sucked. People like pearl jam because of all the hype built around them IMO.

That's your opinion. I believe that if some one that had never heard pearl jam was to sit in a bar and listen to them play there "hits". I bet most people would walk away saying either they were ok of flat out sucked. People like pearl jam because of all the hype built around them IMO.

1991 or 1992 - first time I ever heard the song Alive on the radio, I literally stopped into the next record store I saw to ask if they had ever heard of this band I just heard on the radio, Pearl Jam. They had the album Ten and I listed to that CD more in the next year or so than I've ever listed to another album.

I had never heard of Pearl Jam until that afternoon, so certainly didn't buy it because of the hype. Who created that hype, anyway? Probably people like me who bought the album the first time they ever heard it.

i'm on your side.

think I like one Pearl Jam song and it took me 15 years to even get to liking that one (I'm Still Alive)

otherwise, every time I hear them I start singing, "don't call me Vedder"

This one is a tough one to argue for me because I can see both sides of this one; even as a die-hard PJ fan, theres times when I gotta do a double take and ask "WTF is he talkin' about?"

I think being a Pearl Jam fan is very relative to your age and what music you listened to in the 1980's.

To really understand Pearl Jam you have to have been coming into adulthood in the early to mid 1990's. You also have had to watch some of your favorite bands get corrupted and made into pop icons by MTV (Metallica please take a bow). You had to have attended, or at leasat wanted to attend the first two Lollapalooza festivals ('91&'92). To this day one of the best times of my life was Lollapalooza 1992 with Lush, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ice-Cube, Ministry, and the Chile Peppers.

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Bob Mould's several bands, and all the rest of the Seattle scene groups gave us a way of thinking, acting, and dressing that let us say "FU! We're not drinking the Kool-ade" to the music execs that wanted everything to be cookie-cutter pop music. In addition, it was a fight against the over-indulgent and gluttonous attitude that swept the country in the 1980's.

The reason Nirvana earned so much hatred from those of us that really believed in the ideas of the grunge movement was because Nirvana repeatedly drank the Kool-ade, then made meaningless gestures to try to atone for it (Oh...you wore a "Corporate Magazines Suck! T-shirt on the cover of Rolling Stone. Wow, you're such a rebel. Oh you started a mosh pit while performing at the MTV VMA's which you supposedly disdain. Wow, fight the power, Kurt.)

Anyway...alot of it isn't about the music. It's about the attitude that defined us GenX'ers that makes us fans of the grunge bands.

I personally enjoy Mike McCready's guitar work and Veder's vocals even if most of the time you have to read the album jacket to know what the hell he's saying.

I personally enjoy Mike McCready's guitar work and Veder's vocals even if most of the time you have to read the album jacket to know what the hell he's saying.

which REM did to much better effect, without the benefit of the lyrics on the album jacket.

which brings me to the FLIPSIDE, the most UNDERrated band and/or singer

The Replacements and Paul Westerberg

"Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes"

of all the lyrics in all the songs in the world, I wish I had written that one line

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know man, I'd argue that Mark David Chapman was probably the best thing that happened to music.

Except that you couldn't turn on a radio for 6 months afterward without hearing Lennon and Beatles songs rehashed to death. Yeah, I like the Beatles and all, but the music and broadcast industries beat those tunes into the ground in '80-'81.

And there was this abomination:

Except that you couldn't turn on a radio for 6 months afterward without hearing Lennon and Beatles songs rehashed to death. Yeah, I like the Beatles and all, but the music and broadcast industries beat those tunes into the ground in '80-'81.

And there was this abomination:

wtf? wtf? wtf?

I could have gone the remainder of my entire life without having heard that, and I only heard the first 20 seconds

now I need to crank up some Crüe or something else really loud to cleanse my auditory canal

Alright, I can agree with some of these, but do you guys not listen to anything from the past 10 years? Plenty of these bands you're mentioning might as well be Bach or Mozart in comparison. I don't blame you for not listening to anything from the past 10 years though.

I think the Doors are pretty cool, I think Jim Morrison is the overrated part. Kurt Cobain technically was a piss poor guitarist, but no one else sounded like him (except for maybe some "true" grunge bands that nobody remembers/ever heard about). Pearl Jam may not be to everybody's tastes, but they have managed to recreate their sound many times yet remain unique and not bend to whatever trend is going on in popular music. Grateful Dead is one of the most eclectic bands I've ever heard, unless all you ever listen to is "Touch of Grey" and "Truckin'". If the jam thing isn't to your tastes I understand. I can understand how the Beatles may be overrated, but I think completely putting them down would just be for the sake of being argumentative. Not flaming anyone, but I think all of these bands have some artistic merit.

My votes for "current" bands: Newer Radiohead stuff, DMB, One Direction, Katy Perry, the list goes on...

For classic bands: The Rolling Stones, CCR, The Eagles. (Let the flaming commence :p )

I don't blame you for not listening to anything from the past 10 years though.

See, I feel the opposite way.

When someone says to me, "There's no good music anymore." What I'm actually hearing is, "I don't know how to work a computer."

There is more great music coming out now than there has ever been. Not only that, but it's accessable to anyone instantly around the globe, no matter how successful the band or influential their PR people are. If you hate One Direction and Katy Perry that means you have a functioning brain. So use it to turn off the radio and sign up for a Spotify or Pandora account. I you think George Thorogood and 3 Dog Night were the last bands to ever release a decent song, I feel sorry for ya. There's lots more out there. Go find them. You can't wait for modern radio to do it for you, because Clear Channel doesn't give a sh*t about musical innovation or talent.

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, Bob Mould's several bands,

AIC is in a completely different league... you know.. where the guitar player was actually a skilled musician..

I still really like SG.

Ok, I think I've got one that hasn't been mentioned and there can be no argument. Axl Rose nuff said.

Axel destroyed the greatest band ever.

AIC is in a completely different league... you know.. where the guitar player was actually a skilled musician..

I still really like SG.

Really?

I love Cantrell, but he's not in the same category as the combo of Gossard/McCready or especially Kim Thayil.

I love AIC, PJ, SG, and Nirvana for different reasons. AIC I think was great because of their dual vocals and solid musicianship, SG was certainly the most talented of the grouping with the best guitarist, pure vocalist, and great in the Drum section. Pearl Jam certainly had the best lyrics and the best rhythm section. Nirvana has the drums and bass pounding and great lyrics as well.

What makes Pearl Jam great is that they've got a large collection of music. They aren't just their "hits"

Hell look at their "hits" and you see a slew of different songs (I'll include every song that charted of theirs)

Jeremy - Simplistic song about a kid killing himself infront of his class
Daughter - Largely acoustic song about probably a girl with autism who's parents can't get her
Spin the Black Circle - Straight rocker about vinyl
Who You Are - Not sure how to describe this song, worth a listen.
Given to Fly - Interesting song, seemingly about not being brought down by the faults of others.
Wishlist - Simplistic song about wishing to be more and better and so on so forth.
Last Kiss - Cover of a terrible song that sounds good
Nothing as it Seems - Yeah not for me so I won't defend this.
I am Mine - I won't say too much more because this line says it for me " I know I was born and I know that I'll die the in between is mine"
World Wide Suicide - Not the biggest fan of this song, maybe the weakest off that album

I'll stop there.

they have so many "hits" and that makes them not overrated?

isn't that the definition of overrated?

I use the words hits very loosely. The classic definition of hit is a top 40 single, which Pearl Jam had 4. Pink Floyd had many, does that make them overrated? Bands can be good and popular, it's not impossible.

Being overrated is to have a higher perceived value than deserved, so it's entirely subjective.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
What makes Pearl Jam great is that they've got a large collection of music. They aren't just their "hits" Hell look at their "hits" and you see a slew of different songs (I'll include every song that charted of theirs) Jeremy - Simplistic song about a kid killing himself infront of his class Daughter - Largely acoustic song about probably a girl with autism who's parents can't get her Spin the Black Circle - Straight rocker about vinyl Who You Are - Not sure how to describe this song, worth a listen. Given to Fly - Interesting song, seemingly about not being brought down by the faults of others. Wishlist - Simplistic song about wishing to be more and better and so on so forth. Last Kiss - Cover of a terrible song that sounds good Nothing as it Seems - Yeah not for me so I won't defend this. I am Mine - I won't say too much more because this line says it for me " I know I was born and I know that I'll die the in between is mine" World Wide Suicide - Not the biggest fan of this song, maybe the weakest off that album I'll stop there.

I get what your saying. Hell I love the Beatles and I mean every song they do. I'm not quite a super fan but pretty close ( I'm only 29 so I wasn't around for all the real super stardom stuff). However I know they are overrated it's just the fact of the matter and I don't get upset when people say they are. That being said Jermey to me is one of the most annoying songs jp sings. You can barley understand what Eddie is saying thought out half of the song. And daughter it's sounds like he's saying "don't call me dodder" ( which is how I sing it when I get stuck listening to it). And I understand what some one else was saying that bands like PJ stood for gen X. I listen to plenty of older punk bands that most people say are terrible but I like them for what they stood for but what they stood for is not going to make a bigger band not overrated. And I stand by my statement that Eddie veters solo acoustic stuff sucks.

WTWjr said:
Most overrated= Bruce Springsteen

Sorry this is ot but I'm sure a few of you will think its funny. I have never liked BS. But now I like one song because of a situation when I heard it. When I was deployed to the Middle East on a few nights a week we had the opportunity to play bingo for sh1tty prizes ( it beat the boredom) anyhow if two players tied calling bingo they had to do a tie breaker. Being the air force they did stupid **** like push up contest or karaoke or etc. anyhow this white guys and a dude from the Japanese air force tied and they had to karaoke. The Japanese guy went first and I don't remember what he sang but he was ok. The white American got BS born in the USA. It got to the part about "Uncle Sam told me to pick up a rifle and start killing the yellow man". All the people running bingo started rushing to fix it. All the Asians were a little offended and the whole time I was talking **** to the guy that picked the song ( it wasn't the guy that tied bingo but a dude helping with bingo) so for the rest of my life when I hear that song I can't help but laugh.

Acdc is so overrated, everything sounds the same. No artistic growth in 30 years. Cant understand a word he says
Nirvana is one of my faves but whoever said Kurt was a great guitar player is on crack.

Acdc is so overrated, everything sounds the same. No artistic growth in 30 years. Cant understand a word he says
Nirvana is one of my faves but whoever said Kurt was a great guitar player is on crack.

You can probably blame "Modern Chemistry" for that!

Once teenagers start calling you Sir.... it's time to stop trying to be rock star and time to start being a good grandfather!!!

I am more of a "Bluegrass" guy, myself! Banjo's and Mandolin's enhance the flavor of a good beer!

A lot of these are just piling on by now, but:

DMB - For reasons already stated. It's not terrible, I just see it as a pop music fan's gateway drug to "better" music. Kind of like the music world's equivalent to, say, Amber Bock...still commercialized, but different enough to get you thinking about what else is out there.
Springsteen, Melloncamp, and Seger - For whatever reason, I can't get into the whole "blue-collar" rock thing.
Green Day - I feel like modern Green Day is kind of like how Nirvana would have turned out if Kurt hadn't offed himself: still fumbling at being "punk" and singing about teenage angst at 40, and whining about the rich man while being a millionaire.
Shinedown - They get tons of airplay on modern rock radio around me. I don't get it. I saw them as an opening band when they were starting to get popular and although their singer was decent (reminded me a little of Chris Cornell), they spent more time complaining about how they didn't want to be a lousy opening band than they did trying to earn the crowd's respect.
KISS - I feel like it's an inside joke that I'm not in on.
"New" Country - There must be a country music lyrics Mad Libs out there somewhere where you fill in the blanks with words like "beer", "truck", "tractor", "country", etc. and it spits out a song.

drainbamage said:
"New" Country - There must be a country music lyrics Mad Libs out there somewhere where you fill in the blanks with words like "beer", "truck", "tractor", "country", etc. and it spits out a song.
+1 on this, was just about to post the same thing.

Green Day - I feel like modern Green Day is kind of like how Nirvana would have turned out if Kurt hadn't offed himself: still fumbling at being "punk" and singing about teenage angst at 40, and whining about the rich man while being a millionaire.

Gonna nitpick here but by all indications Nirvana was gonna break up and it was pretty much public knowledge. One of the reasons Courtney killed Kurt :mug:

So much straight hate for Cobain. A lot of great musicians credit him for a lot of inspiration. He defiantly was not a great guitar player but if u don't play guitar then SHUT UP because he's better then U! I've been playing for 18 years on and off and still can't write as great of a song as he whipped his ass with. Also AIC and SG were both hair bands before Nirvana!

Here is a good question about Cobain. Love him or hate him, if he was still alive would he have stayed relevant? I think he fit the time, but I don't think he would have had staying power.

There are a lot of musicians I agree with on here that are over rated, but to some aspect is it their ability to stay relevant what makes them great?

BigDaddyBeard said:
Here is a good question about Cobain. Love him or hate him, if he was still alive would he have stayed relevant? I think he fit the time, but I don't think he would have had staying power.

There are a lot of musicians I agree with on here that are over rated, but to some aspect is it their ability to stay relevant what makes them great?

Well I think he had more good songs in him weather they stayed together or not he had more music and lyrics in him. Plus it's not like AIC or SG or rage or stp really had saying power most bands put out about 3-5 albums and called it. Nirvana had 3 and probably one more in them at least

There is a difference between just putting out more material vs putting out GOOD material. I like PJ but only think that their 1rst album was worth getting. AC/DC i like as well but stylistically they have been stagnant for 20+ years. Now as far as underrated i would have to say Opeth is one,Keith Merrow another.

Maybe this is cliche to say, but I think Pearl Jam is a band that is meant to be heard live, and that is the basis of their continued popularity. Yeah, other than Ten and maybe Vs, most of their albums have been hit or miss. If you see them live, you can catch most of the good songs, some solid covers, and only a few of the crap songs.

Kinda off topic, but there's been quite a few posts regarding the lack of music in the past 10 years or so. I do agree 99.9%, but I gotta throw one name out before we get back to bashing those who suck...The Gaslight Anthem. These guys are amazing and work for every occasion whether it's brewing, chilling, or in the gym. Definitely my #1 band for the past few years.

Check out this awesome cover of Baba O'Riley (The Who). You can even catch where the guitarist F's up at about 2:40 so you know there's no funky dubbed crap going on.

Lot's of emotion and meaning in their music. It's simple, but powerful stuff.

Kinda off topic, but there's been quite a few posts regarding the lack of music in the past 10 years or so. I do agree 99.9%, but I gotta throw one name out before we get back to bashing those who suck...The Gaslight Anthem. These guys are amazing and work for every occasion whether it's brewing, chilling, or in the gym. Definitely my #1 band for the past few years.

Check out this awesome cover of Baba O'Riley (The Who). You can even catch where the guitarist F's up at about 2:40 so you know there's no funky dubbed crap going on.

Lot's of emotion and meaning in their music. It's simple, but powerful stuff.

I hadn't heard of them...I need to get out more. An alt-rock band influenced by The Clash and Springsteen? I do like it, will look for some of their albums. Thanks for posting that.

I actually think there has been quite a bit of great stuff coming out in the past few years, but I also have an awesome local radio station that plays anything and everything.

Gaslight is cool, they're from New Brunswick so yay Jersey.

I find it weird though when I hear people talk about them cause I heard thme way before they got big because of them being local. Haven't had that personally happen and it's not like NJ is a huge music scene.

I don't know if Pearl Jam did it first, but they're the earliest I've heard do the guitar for synth version of Baba O'Riley

Back