The Most INTERESTING man in the World Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
OK, so we've all seen the commercials and figured that yes...it is possible to be the most INTERESTING man in the world!!...

If i were to tell you "have a good day"..... you would. Everyone around you would know who you are, because i told them. I once punched a magician. That’s right. You heard me. people dont understand how they understand what i know, AND my cereal never gets soggy. It sits there, staying crispy, just for me. I am the most interesting man in the world

Why are you the most interesting man in the world?

Because I always don't drink beer, but when I do I prefer home brew!!

It's called Job Security. :rockin: If you broke it, then you are best qualifed to fix it ;)

Truthfully, that attitude can and has gotten people fired around here. It's good though because it ensures we maintain better coding talent which makes the whole company happier.

Truthfully, that attitude can and has gotten people fired around here. It's good though because it ensures we maintain better coding talent which makes the whole company happier.

I'm jealous. We're unionized over at my work place. Even if you suk, you still get to keep your job.

And I'm not the one who gets update privileges; I get to write the code (or just pseudo code), submit it, and have someone in another building throw the code into our test or stage environment. They get to mangle it as they see fit. And then I test absolutely everything I can think of to see what's newly broken. There's always something affected. It's absolutely maddening, especially when the other guy doesn't bother testing basic functionality.

Not that I'm implying anyone here makes mistakes, as we certainly never do, but 'job security' is a horrible excuse.

I'm jealous. We're unionized over at my work place. Even if you suk, you still get to keep your job.

I've worked at so many places where IT is sooooo poorly managed that I'm actually in favor of allowing IT employees to unionize - with heavy conditions to avoid a situation like yours - but that's a topic for the debate forum.

And I'm not the one who gets update privileges; I get to write the code (or just pseudo code), submit it, and have someone in another building throw the code into our test or stage environment. They get to mangle it as they see fit. And then I test absolutely everything I can think of to see what's newly broken. There's always something affected. It's absolutely maddening, especially when the other guy doesn't bother testing basic functionality.

I'm one of the guys who gets to "throw the code into our test or stage environment" :), but we are developers ourselves and we work closely with the junior developers.

The way we're set up here, the junior developers can check their code into their own private branches and push, then the senior developers review the updates and merge into the master branch, which gets built automatically on the development server and uploaded into a build repository (we NEVER delete an old build) and published to test or staging by production engineering.

It's a chain of command that works well and ensures that everyone is involved and accountable.

I highly recommend it, but again, I've worked a lot of places where management is so dysfunctional that despite your best efforts you'd never get a setup like this greenlit in a million years.

I've worked at so many places where IT is sooooo poorly managed that I'm actually in favor of allowing IT employees to unionize - with heavy conditions to avoid a situation like yours - but that's a topic for the debate forum.

I'm one of the guys who gets to "throw the code into our test or stage environment" :), but we are developers ourselves and we work closely with the junior developers.

The way we're set up here, the junior developers can check their code into their own private branches and push, then the senior developers review the updates and merge into the master branch, which gets built automatically on the development server and uploaded into a build repository (we NEVER delete an old build) and published to test or staging by production engineering.

It's a chain of command that works well and ensures that everyone is involved and accountable.

I highly recommend it, but again, I've worked a lot of places where management is so dysfunctional that despite your best efforts you'd never get a setup like this greenlit in a million years.

I was kidding about the job secuirty bit, but around here if you can actually figure out what build is on production, there is a good chance it didn't get saved into TFS so good luck debugging production issues.

People want to drink my yeast starters because they are good

Back