The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for a group brew-day. Maybe I'll remember this one. :drunk:

Hey all new to brewing and the forums. Im in East Nashville if anyone wants to grab a beer some place I'm interested in meeting other beer lovers to learn more. Just made my first 2 batches this week a Red Ale and a Cider so can't wait.

Welcome to the forums! I am just a little north of you in Hendersonville, I may be brewing on Monday you are more than welcome to join in on the fun.

1234 said:
Welcome to the forums! I am just a little north of you in Hendersonville, I may be brewing on Monday you are more than welcome to join in on the fun.

I think I may be free send me a PM

I am interested in a group brew day just name the place and time. Do we all make the same giant batch with slight mods or each do their own?

I heard back from my guy at the distillery, it appears that they only have 2 or 3 left and the price is $65. I know that Steve and Billy are first in-line, if they want them.

I heard back from my guy at the distillery, it appears that they only have 2 or 3 left and the price is $65. I know that Steve and Billy are first in-line, if they want them.

I'm going to hold off for now and wait for WW to pass the hot potato back.

Hey guys, I'm new here and Billy (maffewl) invited me over to drop and line and say hey.

I'm excited/little scared jumping into the world of home-brewing. I've not got any brews going right now. I've helped Billy with some of the brews he's done and liked it though and will def be making something soon.

Anyways, hi to everyone and I'm looking forward to getting to know you and learning all about brewing!:mug:

Just a non-brewing side note, I started another thread in the General Chit Chat section.

Local radio station,102.5 The Game, and Cricket are giving $5000 to a local high school music program. My kids' school is in the running. Please go and vote for Page High School.

Thanks.

Just a non-brewing side note, I started another thread in the General Chit Chat section.

Local radio station,102.5 The Game, and Cricket are giving $5000 to a local high school music program. My kids' school is in the running. Please go and vote for Page High School.

Thanks.

Done. Also, if you use Firefox... you can use Internet Explorer too and vote twice.

Has anyone heard anything else about the hop buy? Is it still going on? Is it not?

I have updated the hop buy page in the group buy section several times. Hop Union has not finished pellitizing this years crop. You stay current by following the group buy page.

So I dropped a new batch of Guinness this past weekend and everything seemed to go well.

"I know they are just a sign" but bubbles in the airlock really hit it off the next day then have dropped off to nothing the past 2 days.

SHould I be worried?

No, I wouldn't be worried. My pale ale was bubbling like hell for a couple days and now has slowed to every 10 seconds or so. The yeast are still doing their job, more than likely cleaning up after themselves now.

Is this a pretty common thing with brewing in 6 gallon buckets with snap on lids and tiny airlocks?

I know my gear is for newbies, but a man's gotta start somewhere :rockin:

Dude, I'm still rockin the buckets along with some carboys; as long as it seals and is able to be sanitized, you're good to go. Just be careful when cleaning the inside as to not scratch the bucket, which can lead to prime spots for infections to harbor. Once you start doing bigger beers, then you can use blow off tubes. But as long as the airlock, be it a 3-piece or an S-type, keeps garbage out of the wort, no worries.

And this bubbling is common with almost all beers. There may be an exception to the rule, but that is generally how it works. Mine will slow to almost nothing probably by Sunday/Monday. I'll give the yeast a few days to clean up, then crash cool, and keg....a simple batch of beer ready in 15 days or so.

Happy to report that my first batch of Amber is AMAZING!!! Gotta let them age a bit more, but they have a rich, creamy head, dark amber color with lots of fizzy bubbles going up through the beer and they taste amazing.

I have found a new hobby :)

Dude, I'm still rockin the buckets along with some carboys; as long as it seals and is able to be sanitized, you're good to go. Just be careful when cleaning the inside as to not scratch the bucket, which can lead to prime spots for infections to harbor. Once you start doing bigger beers, then you can use blow off tubes. But as long as the airlock, be it a 3-piece or an S-type, keeps garbage out of the wort, no worries.

And this bubbling is common with almost all beers. There may be an exception to the rule, but that is generally how it works. Mine will slow to almost nothing probably by Sunday/Monday. I'll give the yeast a few days to clean up, then crash cool, and keg....a simple batch of beer ready in 15 days or so.

BUT... what I mean was, the bubbles really kicked in the very next day (I brewed on Tuesday night. and now on Saturday it is almost nothing.

Still nothing to worry over?

BUT... what I mean was, the bubbles really kicked in the very next day (I brewed on Tuesday night. and now on Saturday it is almost nothing.

Still nothing to worry over?

What yeast did you use? Also, what temp is it fermenting at? You could take a gravity reading and see if it has finished fermentation or if it has stalled out...

Fermenting at a constant 73 degrees. The yeast came in a kit, True Brew, sorry, didn't get the brand before I threw away the packet, but it was dry yeast.

This kinda happened with the Amber I just made, so I'm wondering if it's just how these yeasties roll..

Kinda warm, you may want to work on keeping those ferment temps down, it WILL improve the finished product. You can never count on buckets for bubbling, the lids don't always seal tight enough to build up pressure.

Not much I can do about the temps... the wife likes to keep it a cozy 73 inside for her and the kids. I tried the guest bathroom but it fluctuates too much. I figured 73 was better than having it range between 65 and 80?

Stable at 73 is better than a 15 degree differential, but I'd look into a water bath and ice or a swamp cooler of some nature. The best thing I ever did for my brewing was re-purposing my old college minifridge as a ferm chamber.

It would be better to start at 65f and let it go up from there. All you need is a plastic tub and some ice to cool it down.

I've done this method before and it worked well; I picked up one of the big roped-handled buckets from Wally World for around $5 and then froze 10-12 water bottles, rotating them throughout the day. The temp held around 66F without much issue.

IrishJosh said:
Not much I can do about the temps... the wife likes to keep it a cozy 73 inside for her and the kids. I tried the guest bathroom but it fluctuates too much. I figured 73 was better than having it range between 65 and 80?

Before I converted a freezer to a fermentation chamber I used to fill the bath tub with water and throw the carboy in there. Its typically 2 or 3 degrees lower than ambient temp and holds alot more steady. When I lived in AZ all my beers tasted like Belgian's :( unless I wanted a $500 electric bill

I've done this method before and it worked well; I picked up one of the big roped-handled buckets from Wally World for around $5 and then froze 10-12 water bottles, rotating them throughout the day. The temp held around 66F without much issue.

This is excatly what I do during the summer months. I've found that after about the first day, I only have to switch out water bottles a couple times a day.

Its kind of time consuming, but it works.

Quick question for you guys.

I am working on a Guinness Clone that started off with a gravity of 1.047 (put in a little extra malt extract to shoot for a 5% APR or so)

It's been 6 days in the primary and I took my first gravity reading at 1.022. Do you guys think the yeast has stalled after 6 days or is it right on schedule? Planning on letting it sit for another week and a half or so before doing anything to it.

IF it has stalled, how to I kick them into gear again?

Latest posts

Back