The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are inching closer to finishing out the splits on our group buy. For those not in on any splits please take a look to see if you can help close out the splits.

Fijidave12 said:
It was that good, eh...bummed to hear

Yeah. There was only one entrance so it about 45 min to get in. They oversold the tickets and ran out of glasses for everyone, so they started giving everyone plastic solo cups instead. The layout was terrible. You couldn't get past the beer lines, as they were blocking the walking paths. There was only 18 porta-johns for roughly 6000 people, so it took about 25 min go to the bathroom. And worst of all... they pretty much ran out beer by 4:00 due to the overselling. Oh, and they were still charging $30 to get in even though there was no more beer.

Dang Michigan looked Almost flawless today, granted it was Minn with a lot of freshman, but the Lil Brown Jug remains ours. Next week is Northwestern, who looked pretty descent against ILL. The first real test in my opinion. Dam Smith is a beast. Too bad he cant juke like D-Rob, but a great downhill runner. Toussant Too. On top of that OhioSt is loseing to Mich St and I'm drinking my finally ready Oktoberfest. Life is good!! Since Penn St. could'nt cover the points against Indy and M St. is going to win, all I need is Nebraska to not lose by more than 10 and I'll be real happy.GO BLUE!!!:rockin:

I didn't set the DVR for the UofM game and only got to watch the Wisc v Neb game (didn't realize the Mich was being replayed at the same time). Yup, Neb certainly didn't cover....that was a whoopin'. Glad to hear Mich looked good though. I was trying to find SportsCenter highlights last night and never saw one. Almost like they didn't think it was a worthy beat down of Minn. Either way, Michigan wins. OSU loses. GO BLUE!

Yeah. There was only one entrance so it about 45 min to get in. They oversold the tickets and ran out of glasses for everyone, so they started giving everyone plastic solo cups instead. The layout was terrible. You couldn't get past the beer lines, as they were blocking the walking paths. There was only 18 porta-johns for roughly 6000 people, so it took about 25 min go to the bathroom. And worst of all... they pretty much ran out beer by 4:00 due to the overselling. Oh, and they were still charging $30 to get in even though there was no more beer.

I believe this defines "poor execution" for an event.

What a great weekend. Took the kids to the country ham festival (although there was hardly any ham), Michigan win, lions still undefeated, titans won, Ohio state lost........ And

image-3319710651.jpg

Some good beers!!

What a great weekend. Took the kids to the country ham festival (although there was hardly any ham), Michigan win, lions still undefeated, titans won, Ohio state lost........ And

And, the Tigers just beat the evil empire, it doesn't get any better for a Michigan sports homer.

_

Anyone know a good exterminator in southern Nashville? I've got moles tearing up the front yard and black widows in my crawl space.

Fijidave12 said:
I didn't set the DVR for the UofM game and only got to watch the Wisc v Neb game (didn't realize the Mich was being replayed at the same time). Yup, Neb certainly didn't cover....that was a whoopin'. Glad to hear Mich looked good though. I was trying to find SportsCenter highlights last night and never saw one. Almost like they didn't think it was a worthy beat down of Minn. Either way, Michigan wins. OSU loses. GO BLUE!

Yeh I didnt watch live either but I did set the DVR. F in Nebraska. I thought they were better than that. Owell it'll be easier to beat em. I think Wisconsin might be the real deal glad we don't play em. Heh heh.

It's good to finally see something positive for Michigan to rally around. That was an intense weekend. Hey let's not forget that UofM is now #12 in the AP!

bernerbrau said:
Anyone know a good exterminator in southern Nashville? I've got moles tearing up the front yard and black widows in my crawl space.

Look up using nematodes to help get rid of them. They kill the underground bugs that the moles are after.

bernerbrau said:
black widows in my crawl space.

I have a coworker that used to be an exterminator, and he advised to check the vapor barrier to make sure it is sealing well. Black widows generally prefer dark damp areas.

Look up using nematodes to help get rid of them. They kill the underground bugs that the moles are after.

Yeah, anything that says it will kill grubs in your lawn should get the moles to move to your neighbor's yard. Make sure that you treat both your front and back yards.

I have a coworker that used to be an exterminator, and he advised to check the vapor barrier to make sure it is sealing well. Black widows generally prefer dark damp areas.

I have intense arachnophobia. I am not going anywhere near the crawl space until the exterminator has sprayed and/or bombed it...

Just met with a guy from Arrow Exterminators. Signed a bunch of paperwork and paid for the service, but I have to set up a separate meeting with the sprayers and the mole guys. He couldn't find any live black widows in the crawl space but he did find egg sacs.

The one I spotted last night is hanging upside down beneath the garage stairs, with an egg sac, right by the keg fridge. Daring me to take a pint...

The stand is VERY sturdy. I would have no worries climbing up the center post to look in the HLT. For what it is, it is compact and very easy to move. Blichmann over-engineered another one and I am so glad for it.

The Toughest job will be finding people to drink all the damn beer we're brewing :drunk:

-Tom
Found this post from last year from Rebel. Pisses me off even more that Tom B!tched about me getting a 12 oz glass out of the Kegerator at the shop after knowing he was useing this monster. Specially since I spent about $75 on that visit, about $350 a month sooner, and the rest of you spent another $400-$500 probably.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/rebel-brewers-new-20-gallon-system-185467/

Stevo2569 said:
Found this post from last year from Rebel. Pisses me off even more that Tom B!tched about me getting a 12 oz glass out of the Kegerator at the shop after knowing he was useing this monster. Specially since I spent about $75 on that visit, about $350 a month sooner, and the rest of you spent another $400-$500 probably.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/rebel-brewers-new-20-gallon-system-185467/

Still pissin' people off. Same ole brownie

Does anybody have a sack of Pilsen that they would be willing to sell? The a guy who didn't get his order in on time for this current buy is looking for some pilsen malt.

whatsup guys. figured i'd introduce myself in this thread. I'm Stephen from Memphis. new brewer. 10 extract/specialty grain batches under my belt, plus EdWort's Apfelwein. Helped with about 6 or 7 all grains, and have been slowly but surely gathering/building all my all grain stuff. Finishing out my mash tun this week, and going to be doing my first all grain sunday.

motleybrews said:
whatsup guys. figured i'd introduce myself in this thread. I'm Stephen from Memphis. new brewer. 10 extract/specialty grain batches under my belt, plus EdWort's Apfelwein. Helped with about 6 or 7 all grains, and have been slowly but surely gathering/building all my all grain stuff. Finishing out my mash tun this week, and going to be doing my first all grain sunday.

Welcome and congratulations on makin the move. Hope you have an accurate thermometer.

Finishing out my mash tun this week, and going to be doing my first all grain sunday.

What are you planning on brewing on Sunday?

Welcome and congratulations on makin the move. Hope you have an accurate thermometer.

+1 on that...Maybe even a couple good thermometers!

Anybody have any 1/2 barrel kegs, I know a brewer who is looking for a couple.

That's certainly nice of you to ask everyone for me :D Kidding, but seriously, I'm needing to pick up a few as well, if someone has or knows of a stash of them.

I've got 2 instant read digital thermometers (will calibrate this evening), the POS thermometer that came with the turkey fryer, and a Blichmann Brewmometer (I already calibrated) that I installed on my kettle.

I'm still trying to decide between Yoopers pale ale, EdWorts haus pale ale, and a basic nut brown. I'm leaning towards Yoopers, but I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas for an "entry level" all grain? One that won't show many mistakes? I am a big nut brown fan. My first batch lasted a week (minus the 6 pack I hid from myself). Everyone that tried it loved it. I've got another that I'm going to bottle in the next week or 2, and I've got a holiday spiced nut brown that I brewed 2 weeks ago.

Anything "hoppy" will cover a lot of mistakes. I wouldn't really sweat the recipe based on it being hard, it's all just grains and hops. What do you have for ingredients?

_

^^^
Absolutely correct. Just grains and hops. Depending on your inventory, maybe start with a pale and then work to a darker beer so you could re-use the yeast cake--either by racking your next batch into the same bucket, or by washing your yeast.

I've made Ed's Haus pale. It took a couple weeks for flavors to come together, but when they did, it turned out to be a nice pale. Thought about making Yooper's as well, but haven't yet. Can't go wrong with either one though.

yea, the cascade is what led me in the direction of EdWorts Haus Pale Ale.

just went to the LHBS to pick up the last few pieces of the puzzle (mash paddle, an extra hydrometer, the grain, and a few other odds and ends) and they were closed. Hoping its not a permanent close. All the stuff is still in there, but the lights weren't on. called, and the message didn't say anything about it being closed. Oh well, guess I'll just have another day to figure out what recipe i want to go with.

[quote/]
just went to the LHBS to pick up the last few pieces of the puzzle (mash paddle, an extra hydrometer, the grain, and a few other odds and ends) and they were closed. Hoping its not a permanent close. All the stuff is still in there, but the lights weren't on. called, and the message didn't say anything about it being closed. Oh well, guess I'll just have another day to figure out what recipe i want to go with.[/quote]

If you are talking about MidSouth Malts, it is run by one guy and he comes and goes with no regards for customer convenience. It is his shop and his hobby, he can do as he pleases.

volsfan5012 said:
[quote/]
just went to the LHBS to pick up the last few pieces of the puzzle (mash paddle, an extra hydrometer, the grain, and a few other odds and ends) and they were closed. Hoping its not a permanent close. All the stuff is still in there, but the lights weren't on. called, and the message didn't say anything about it being closed. Oh well, guess I'll just have another day to figure out what recipe i want to go with.

If you are talking about MidSouth Malts, it is run by one guy and he comes and goes with no regards for customer convenience. It is his shop and his hobby, he can do as he pleases.[/QUOTE]

Yea that's who I'm talking about. Normally when he is closed he at least puts it on facebook.

A buddy got us good seats to the Georgia/UT game tomorrow. So where can I get good beer at in Knoxville? Dave? Paul?anybody else?

A buddy got us good seats to the Georgia/UT game tomorrow. So where can I get good beer at in Knoxville? Dave? Paul?anybody else?

Sorry, I usually go to Nashvegas when I go to the big city. I know Smokey Mountain brewery is there somewhere, I just went to the one in Gatlinburg last weekend, they had some decent beers.

It's actually in Turkey Creek which is right off 40 as you get into Knoxville, real easy to get to.

_

Sorry Steveo, I head to Nashville as well when I am on a beer adventure. I will talk with a couple friends who live down there and get their drunken suggestions. They'll be blitzed by 9a :D But if I get a response from them, I'll leave a post here for you, if you can check it on your phone.

I suggest Barleys. Pretty good food. And great beers.

Beer list from Barley's:
http://www.barleystaproom.com/knoxville/beer.php

Hey Steveo, check out Downtown Grill and Brewery, Bearden Beer Market (I've knew of this one and just forgot), and Aubrey's. My buddy knows a damn good beer when he sees one, so you can't go wrong with these places.

Back