The Man in the High Castle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the first episode last night (its an Amazon produced show) and think I may be hooked on it. Surprise twist, I didn't see it coming at all, at the end of the first episode. Science fiction-y enough to satisfy the nerd in me, but also seems to have a pretty good drama going on, too.

I decided to watch it because I saw it on a couple of 'best of 2015 shows' list. Anyone else watching this?

Interesting. I enjoyed a couple of Alt-History books. This might be entertaining. I've certainly heard of Philip Dick, but I can't recall if I've ever read any of his books.

I watched the entire series, it only gets better as it progresses.

Interesting. I enjoyed a couple of Alt-History books. This might be entertaining. I've certainly heard of Philip Dick, but I can't recall if I've ever read any of his books.

I've read a bunch of P. Dick stories. He's excellent. I'll check out this series. I have Prime, which I assume is how you watch it, but it's easier for me to just download the series instead of streaming.

Thanks for the heads up.

I started to watch this and got through 2 episodes..it was a bit slow for me so I left it and went over and started watching the Netflix Jessica Jones series due David Tennant being the evildoer as I loved him in Doctor Who series.

If it gets better, I may pick it back up again..

I don't think there'll be a season two since it's based on a book. it's just a miniseries.
I finished watching this recently, such a good show! definitely got a sci-fi type twist and enough non-fiction type history to keep me interested

Overall, pretty MEH... Don't think I'll watch episode 2.

This is definitely a show with highs and lows. The three young leads, I find to be the worst of the show. I did not enjoy their screentime.

The Japanese trade ministry parts are decent.

The Oppengrubenfurher Smith scenes are just great. Very complete and compelling drama, from the plot to the dialog to the acting.

I will watch the next season because that plotline gave me hope that they have the talent in the production staff to pull off great things.

I watched the first episode last night. It was interesting. Main female character is easy to look at (scenes between her and her bf were klunky). Twist at very end was interesting.

Acting was very mediocre. German and Japanese military portrayals are stereotypical, but that's exactly as it was written by P Dick I'm sure.

I like the historical twist as well. I'll at least watch the next episode to see what comes of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

I watched the first episode last night. It was interesting. Main female character is easy to look at (scenes between her and her bf were klunky). Twist at very end was interesting.

Acting was very mediocre. German and Japanese military portrayals are stereotypical, but that's exactly as it was written by P Dick I'm sure.

I like the historical twist as well. I'll at least watch the next episode to see what comes of The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

My limited understanding of the source material is that there is no resistance in the book. Those characters and scenes are exclusive to the show. People familiar with the source material have told me the show basically borrows the setup and universe from the book, but takes great liberties with the plot and characters. I guess that's why a season 2 is in the works. They've already branched beyond the source in season 1, so they can take the show anywhere they'd like.

Do yourself a favor and read the book if you haven't... really can't see them capturing PKD's voice through the series.

Awesome series! I am actually starting the book just because the next season is coming to slowly. The book is totally different, I will say.

I finished watching the series last week. Really good stuff I think. The final episode opens things up immensely so they could really go any direction in season 2. Not sure what they have planned but I will watch it. I'm a sucker for alternate history stories.

Started watching Narcos after that. Also highly recommended.

I'm pretty excited for season 2.I think the show will be able to go to some interesting places. I'm pretty interested to see the role Hitler takes on as well (words I thought I'd never type haha)

Just finished season 1. Interesting. Not a well made series, but I'm hooked on the premise. Jap guys were great, germs pretty good too, it was the Americans that didn't do their part well :(

I'll tune in to S2 when it comes around.

Back