The Lightbulb Turned On Arnold Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
Have you ever had an Arnold Palmer Iced Tea/Lemonade... Well they are delicious. I ran across the Hard Lemonade and the Hard Iced Tea recipe and I am going to try and formulate a combination of both and make a Hard Arnold Palmer. I would like to hear any imput, ideas, or recipes you think could work. For the next couple of days I am going to put my mind to this one. I will get back soon to a completed recipe.

There are 2 recipes that I borrowed from this forum. I am no expert but I think this recipe would work.

Arnold Palmer Recipe
6 Cans Frozen Lemonade Concentrate in 2.5 Gallons H2O
2.5 Gallons Arizona Iced Tea Unsweetened
1 lb Extra Dry Malt Extract
2 Lemons Juice & Zest
5 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
5 Campden Tablets
Sugar to bring SG to 1.1
2 packets Lalvin D-47 Yeast

Bring 2.5 Gallons of H20 to a boil and add the lemonade concentrate. Let that mixture cool. Pour Iced Tea and Lemonade into primary fermentation vessel. Add extract, juice/zest, energizer, nutrient, campden. Take SG, add sugar 1 cup at a time until 1.1 has been reached. From the main batch take 8 cups add an extra ½ cup of sugar to it and build a yeast starter. Cover both vessels until there is active fermentation in the starter then pitch into main. End fermentation when the SG reaches .989

Please critic and rip apart if possible. I would like to perfect this so I can have the best tasting drink possible.

I've moved this to the Wine Making Discussion Forum until the recipe has been created, tested and feedback provided.

Once you have the end product and can share the results, we'll move this back to the recipe database.

Agreed, I would go for an ale or even a hefe yeast. Now the SG of 1.100 scares the **** out me. You would be cooking up something that is either way to strong to be good or so delicious that you are lying in your own drool after two drinks. I would shoot more for a SG of 1.060, ferment to dryness, stabilize and backsweeten to taste. I know I enjoy both ice tea and lemonade on a hot summer afternoon, and I'd rather be drinking it like a beer or cider then a wine.

I have a tendancy (at first) to go big with the ABV. I don't know why its just my instinct that and this recipe is the hybrid of two wine recipes. I think you're right though about drinking it like a beer, deffinetly more enjoyable. I have expirience with Nottinhams Ale Yeast and would be comfortable converting that over and I think I will. I think 1.06 to 1.015 would be better for this recipe. That will make the ABV 6%. After that I am afraid my skills aren't that sharp. Could I stabalize with campden and backsweeten with Corn Sugar. How would I then prevent any carbonation, light carb would be ok.

Well if you are going for 6%, aim lower on the OG. Aim more for 1.045 and let it ferment completely dry. Stabilize with campden and sorbate in conjunction with each other, and then backsweeten with whatever you like. In this case, I might look at doing a 6% black tea "wine" and backsweeten with lemonade concentrate. Just start off with a heavy black tea, add sugar to reach 1.045, add any nutrients and yeast, ferment it dry, stabilize and add the concentrate. That way you get the right abv, the tea, the lemonade and the sweetness.

Having said that, thanks to another member on here's recommendation, I will soon be making a black tea wine at full wine abv. So if you want to go big on the abv, go big by all means. My originally intended light blueberry cider ended up being an amazing 13% blueberry apple wine.

down here in georgia you can get this vodka from over in carolina called Firefly Sweet Tea flavored vodka. i know you arent talking about inventing a cocktail, but thought i would mention it anyway!

if you go to bars around the south you can order a "John Daly" and it is half sweet tea vodka and half lemonade... (like the arnold palmer, just alcoholic) in respect to John Daly's love for passing out in the Hooters parking lots ****faced!

if you go to bars around the south you can order a "John Daly" and it is half sweet tea vodka and half lemonade... (like the arnold palmer, just alcoholic) in respect to John Daly's love for passing out in the Hooters parking lots ****faced!

I have heard of this drink, but brewing it up myself is more fun. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but this drink is something that seems fun and delicious...

Now to back sweetening with Lemonade, thats using your noggin. I imagined this drink brewing with the lemonade in it, but it does help the fermentation by elimanating all those acids. I am going to have to weigh the pros and cons on this one though... because 1) I just do not know enough about this kind of brewing. 2) I just do not know enough about this kind of brewing.

I appreciate this thread so far these ideas are helpful. I would like to know if making the drink beer style with lemonade/iced tea both fermenting could be adventageous over doing a mild Tea Wine and adding Lemonade to sweeten. Or are they just 2 ideas that get to the same end result???? Thanks

I can't even guess at how they would differ specifically, but they would definitely produce a different end result. If you ferment the lemonade, that changes the flavor of of it. I've never even tried hard lemonade, so I would be guessing at most of this, but there are a lot on here who have. I know Yooper has, maybe you should pm her asking her to join this discussion, unless she can sense I mentioned her name and comes swinging to the rescue on her own.*waiting in anticipation*

Just an idea - you could ferment all the way, then backsweeten with 1 sugar/free lemonade mix and s/f iced tea mix. Then both flavors would be there. You could open a pkg of both and mix them, then add slowly to get the right sweetness if you're worried it would be too sweet. I would love to see someone try this. Let me know if you do!

I LOVE Arnold Palmers. If this comes out even half-decent, I'm making a batch. Can't wait to hear the results!

I am still researching this matter. I am trying to make sure I have all my bases covered going into uncharted waters and all. I will say that I have decided to brew both Lemonade and Tea at the same time. Now I am working on adding light malt and sugars to a certain SG. If time and money permits then I think I am going to scale down the recipe to a one gallon and try 3 different recipes. At this time my planning tells me that I am going to do a high gravity wine style with a big ABV (my origional idea) A beer type with ale yeast, and something in between if say a lighter wine yeast 11% tops. Expirimentation is really the only way I can find out which is best. I am going to do these brews 2 weeks from now. In the mean time I am going to come up with the 3 recipes I am going to use and post them. Thanks for the interest and help so far.
Dan

Just curious how high of a OG you plan on going with for your wine style if your moderate is 11% Are you shooting more for like 6, 11, and 15-16% levels?

Oh lord, I hope this turns out. Arnold Palmer is my absolute FAVORITE non-alcoholic beverage, and it may just get even better! Nothin like getting drunk off delicious cold drinks in the summer. Yay!

I would definitely want to sweeten this with something. I suppose an Arnold Palmer is normally uncarbonated, so that makes this easier, although I also think carbonation would improve the final product... if you keg, that's easy again, otherwise you'll need to look at the unfermentable sugars.

I can't imagine lactose and lemonade playing well together, but splenda might be okay.

I have played around with the idea of lightly carbonating the beer style. The problem is the unfermentables... It just seems like a to get the most from beverage kegging is the only logical option for carbonation. I don't have a keg, but i may invest in one if the taste will be enhanced by the carbonation. I think it might be alright without carbonation.

I am shooting for ABV 6% for the beer style. 11% for the moderate wine. and 16+ for the big boy. Still tweeking the recipes right now and using calculators to try and figure out my best course of action.

Dan

Awesome, best of luck and keep us updated. I plan on doing a black tea wine this summer, so i might add in a test batch of arnold palmer in the 6% range.

The commercial hard lemonades are actually malt based. I'm not exactly sure how they are made but maybe you could try making an un-hopped 100% 2-row base, stabilize, sweeten and flavor with lemon. Then make your tea wine, and mix like a half & half. Just a thought.

Man my mouth is watering just thinking about this brew! I was just talking with a friend on the phone and drinking an arnold palmer, he asked me how much IPA do i have left in my corny and i went a pulled the tap handle.... CASHED OUT! So i was throwing around the idea of an "arnold palmer" beer... i was thinking about trying a blonde ale and adding the iced tea/lemonade durring conditioning. Im really curious to see how this turns out! please keep updating this topic!!!!!

Shouldnt it be called a John Daly... after all he was the golfer sponsored by Hooters and had the shakes at almost every PGA tourney... just a thought

Slightly :off: but I had to throw this in: My dad is a golf nut and a very light drinker--half a glass of red wine at night before bedtime is his limit. So he gets to play in one of those celebrity pro-am charity things and guess who his partner is--John Daly! Don't know if he picked up any golf tips, but fortunately I guess he didn't pick up any drinking tips either :D

Back