German Pils The Lazy German (raw, warm fermented pilsener)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly my last raw batch has gone down the drain. I did not close the lid after adding finings and after a day in the keg its foul. :( Nothing but my own stupidity to blame. Going back to basics next time.

100% red x
Magnum for bittering
50g mittelfruh in the mash
50g steeped for 20m at 75c when pasterising
MJ54 at 16c

I'st just mistake.

i brewed this two days ago. fermentation kicked off strong within 12 hr. very delighted to see how easy it all was. My O.G. was low though.

12lb pilsner
2 oz Crystal Hop for 30min in .5 gallon TEA boil
Safale 34/70

O.G. was 1042

Plan is to let it ferment/lager for total of one month, transfer to Keg, and let sit for two weeks and then enjoy. I gotta figure out how to get my O.G. up. i think i need a bit more conversion time as I use a Mash Tun, and then heat up to sparge temp and add 185F sparge water.

i brewed this two days ago. fermentation kicked off strong within 12 hr. very delighted to see how easy it all was. My O.G. was low though.

12lb pilsner
2 oz Crystal Hop for 30min in .5 gallon TEA boil
Safale 34/70

O.G. was 1042

Plan is to let it ferment/lager for total of one month, transfer to Keg, and let sit for two weeks and then enjoy. I gotta figure out how to get my O.G. up. i think i need a bit more conversion time as I use a Mash Tun, and then heat up to sparge temp and add 185F sparge water.

Add grains or simple sugar for boost OG.
For me and this OG (1.042) two weeks in fermenter and two for conditions (keg or bottles) is enough.

Add grains or simple sugar for boost OG.

LME is even better as it won't thin the body and it can just be poured into the fermenter. The LME dissolves into the wort in 1-2 weeks. Don't forget to degass the beer first, otherwise you'll get a wort volcano.

Just a quick reminder for whoever is brewing this (cannot edit the first post anymore):

I recommend to do a 10 to 15 minute boil now, instead of the raw version!

For us newbies is that before adding the hop tea or after?

It does not matter too much, but it would be best before adding the hop tea to boil the wort. If you have enough hops on hand to hit your ibus with a 15 min boil, you could also throw the hops into the wort and skip the hop tea. Your choice! Just make sure to compensate for the volume if you decide to skip the hop tea, in order to hit your desired OG.

My latest no boil was pretty simple
Maris Otter, magnum and perle steeped in the wort for 20m at 75c. Came in at 1037 but will be adding pilsner enzyme so expecting around 5% Abv and 20 IBU. Using MJ Bohemian slurry to ferment.

My latest no boil was pretty simple
Maris Otter, magnum and perle steeped in the wort for 20m at 75c. Came in at 1037 but will be adding pilsner enzyme so expecting around 5% Abv and 20 IBU. Using MJ Bohemian slurry to ferment.

This step is after 60 minutes of standard mash at 66'C?

I mash between 62c and 65c then do a mashout at 75c. I then heat all the wort back up to 75c and do a hopstand for 20 minutes. Then it goes straight into a no chill cube. The hops are in a nylon bag.

I mash between 62c and 65c then do a mashout at 75c. I then heat all the wort back up to 75c and do a hopstand for 20 minutes. Then it goes straight into a no chill cube. The hops are in a nylon bag.

How you calculate IBU?
How much hops?
With lid?

Last edited:
I drink beer bottled before two month, brewed with 15 minutes boil, and it is perfect.

Currently fermenting beer that is boiled for 5 minutes. I'll see if it's going to be good after a long stand or it will quickly lose on bitterness and taste like no boil.

I drink beer bottled before two month, brewed with 15 minutes boil, and it is perfect.

Currently fermenting beer that is boiled for 5 minutes. I'll see if it's going to be good after a long stand or it will quickly lose on bitterness and taste like no boil.
Nice one. Let us know how it turns out!

I use the mash setting below where you input the hops. Under "Use" select mash.
I have tried putting the hops straight into the mash with the grain but i found i didn't get much from them. These settings seem reasonably accurate to my taste buds.
If you are brewing in a pot heat the wort to 75c and put the lid on. Hold for 20m.

266.jpg

My 5 minutes boiled IPA is super!

It is not yet sufficiently conditioned (only one week), but it is still great for drinking and has a pleasant taste and smell (citrus). Bitterness is very good.

Recipe is very simple:

3kg Pilsner malt (currently not have Pale Ale)
500g Melanoidin malt
600g table sugar
40g Columbus (FWH)
US-05

Mash: 60 minutes (temperature from 72'C doped to 61'C)
Boil: 5 minutes (with hop and sugar)
Added 2L cold water up to 23L of wort and allowed to stand for 30 minutes with occasional stirring until the temperature droped below 80'C.
After this poured to fermenter through strain for remove hop remains.
Sealed and chilled naturally one day.
Fermented two weeks on 18 - 22'C and bottled without gelatin or crash cold.

It is not very clear, but this is not problem for me. I believe that gelatin and crash cold help for that.

I did 4 gallons drained from mash, and 1 gallon hop tea (2oz Crystal hop). Fermented for 28d in bucket with some safale lager yeast. After two weeks in keg...it's amazing. Thank you
Nice. Glad to hear that it worked out for you. Did you do a short boil or no boil at all?

My 5 minutes boiled IPA is super!

It is not yet sufficiently conditioned (only one week), but it is still great for drinking and has a pleasant taste and smell (citrus). Bitterness is very good.

Recipe is very simple:

3kg Pilsner malt (currently not have Pale Ale)
500g Melanoidin malt
600g table sugar
40g Columbus (FWH)
US-05

Mash: 60 minutes (temperature from 72'C doped to 61'C)
Boil: 5 minutes (with hop and sugar)
Added 2L cold water up to 23L of wort and allowed to stand for 30 minutes with occasional stirring until the temperature droped below 80'C.
After this poured to fermenter through strain for remove hop remains.
Sealed and chilled naturally one day.
Fermented two weeks on 18 - 22'C and bottled without gelatin or crash cold.

It is not very clear, but this is not problem for me. I believe that gelatin and crash cold help for that.

That's actually a very nice idea, the very short boil, followed by an extended flame out.

This gets you more ibus from the hops and less aroma is blown out through the boil.
I will copy this approach when I have sufficient time :)

This is my latest raw lager using 100% maris otter, pilsner enzyme and bohemian yeast. It was fermented cold at a stable 12c down to the time of year but i thought you would like to see the colour and clarity of it. I thought it would be a darker beer as i did not use pilsner malt but it seems even lighter. Perhaps from the enzyme. Its 5 weeks old and was only kegged yesterday. Still amazes me how clear you can get a no boil lager. As the weather warms i will slowly raise my fermentation temps to see if there is any change in flavour from the yeast.
Once again thanks @Miraculix for getting me into this. I have brewed all sorts of raw beer since i had the confidence to try this again.
DSC_0739.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0739.JPG
    DSC_0739.JPG
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 81
This is my latest raw lager using 100% maris otter, pilsner enzyme and bohemian yeast. It was fermented cold at a stable 12c down to the time of year but i thought you would like to see the colour and clarity of it. I thought it would be a darker beer as i did not use pilsner malt but it seems even lighter. Perhaps from the enzyme. Its 5 weeks old and was only kegged yesterday. Still amazes me how clear you can get a no boil lager. As the weather warms i will slowly raise my fermentation temps to see if there is any change in flavour from the yeast.
Once again thanks @Miraculix for getting me into this. I have brewed all sorts of raw beer since i had the confidence to try this again.
View attachment 606328

Your are most welcome. I am amazed that you seem to make this raw thing work, as I have switched to very short boils instead, due to reoccuring infections of the raw beers.

Your are most welcome. I am amazed that you seem to make this raw thing work, as I have switched to very short boils instead, due to reoccuring infections of the raw beers.

Very interesting! Will try my first attempt and I'd like to know what pitching rate you guys are using for this lazy lager.

I have not been boiling my wort for around a year now, mostly with good results. I kept a few bottles of pale ale for 5 months and it had only improved. The only difference that I have found is that the FG is very low, 1000-1006. My technique is as follows:

1. Heat water for the mash, pour into the mash tun and mash in. Mash temperature 64-74C. Tap is slightly higher than the fermenting bucket, so I can lauter straight into it.
2. Heat second lot of water, but remove about 2 litres and use it to boil the hops. Some of the hops must be leaf for the next step to work.
3. Open sanitised fermenting bucket, place "over the sink strainer" over the mouth of the bucket and pour in the hop tea. Sometimes some unboiled hops as well. Lauter into the "over the sink strainer" so the wort rinses out the hops and the hops catch any grains. I squeeze the hops to extract all the wort.
4. Remove strainer, seal lid onto bucket and leave it to cool overnight. Pitch yeast in the morning.

I am bottling a raw lager today; 4kg Best Vienna, 33g Hallertauer Mittelfruh (2.9% and boiled 15 minutes), 1 sachet of S-189 yeast. 23 Litre batch. The S-189 works well at room temperature, fermenting down to 1006 in 2 days, then taking 5 more days to stop at 1004 and lose the smell of Sulphur. It tastes clean and malty, I don't notice any esters.

Edit: the S-189 also cleared very well at room temperature without finings. Compact sediment and clear beer about 1 week after pitching. Very similar performance to Nottingham or S-04, except the beer tastes like lager.

Last edited:
I have not been boiling my wort for around a year now, mostly with good results. I kept a few bottles of pale ale for 5 months and it had only improved. The only difference that I have found is that the FG is very low, 1000-1006. My technique is as follows:

1. Heat water for the mash, pour into the mash tun and mash in. Mash temperature 64-74C. Tap is slightly higher than the fermenting bucket, so I can lauter straight into it.
2. Heat second lot of water, but remove about 2 litres and use it to boil the hops. Some of the hops must be leaf for the next step to work.
3. Open sanitised fermenting bucket, place "over the sink strainer" over the mouth of the bucket and pour in the hop tea. Sometimes some unboiled hops as well. Lauter into the "over the sink strainer" so the wort rinses out the hops and the hops catch any grains. I squeeze the hops to extract all the wort.
4. Remove strainer, seal lid onto bucket and leave it to cool overnight. Pitch yeast in the morning.

I am bottling a raw lager today; 4kg Best Vienna, 33g Hallertauer Mittelfruh (2.9% and boiled 15 minutes), 1 sachet of S-189 yeast. 23 Litre batch. The S-189 works well at room temperature, fermenting down to 1006 in 2 days, then taking 5 more days to stop at 1004 and lose the smell of Sulphur. It tastes clean and malty, I don't notice any esters.

Edit: the S-189 also cleared very well at room temperature without finings. Compact sediment and clear beer about 1 week after pitching. Very similar performance to Nottingham or S-04, except the beer tastes like lager.

FG is low because S-189 have high attenuation and beer is clear because FG is low.

It's only been 11 days, but I can report that the beer is very good. Aroma is fresh bread, taste is also fresh bread. No noticeable esters or hops. Just a very clean, dry, malty lager. Very clear as well, even though it is cellar temperature and not carefully poured.

I can recommend S-189 if you don't want a cloudy beer, but still want to cut corners.

I found that the taste and especially the shelf life of the beer increases quite considerably if the temperature of the wort rises above 90'C and the strain collects the foam then puts all the hop and let it cool to 75'C with the occasional whirlpool.

Bitterness and hop smell is super and no boil at all.

View attachment 606328
Has anyone done a cold no boil lager using DME or LME only with hop tea?
I do not have ability to do a biab or mash but want to try my hand at getting something like this?

Any information would be much appreciated

Has anyone done a cold no boil lager using DME or LME only with hop tea?
I do not have ability to do a biab or mash but want to try my hand at getting something like this?

Any information would be much appreciated
Yes, i read about it somewhere. Technically, DME and lme was already boiled, so is not really no boil. Just make sure you keep sanitation up and it should work well!

Yes, i read about it somewhere. Technically, DME and lme was already boiled, so is not really no boil. Just make sure you keep sanitation up and it should work well!
Do you have any recipes? I did a par boil 2.5 gallons (~9.25 L) for about 5 minutes on 3 lbs pilsen DME before steeping 1 oz Saaz hops for 40 minutes. Cooled and then pitched S-189 yeast. Fermented 5 days before dry hopping with hellertau and cold crashing to 38 F. day 2 of dry hop going on now. Hoping for a lager/pilsner style and flavor

So I just tapped my German Lager I tried to make. It’s good and super easy. Boiled 2 gallons of wort for 5 minutes after adding the Light Pilsner DME once water hit boil. Then steeped 1oz Saaz for 40 minutes with an occasional stir. Cooled to ~68 degrees and pitched S-189. After 5 days ferment (no air lock activity after 3), I put fermentor in fridge and dry hopped with 1oz Hellertau for 2 days. 4 days total in the fridge and then transferred to keg and burst carb at 40 psi for 18 hour. It’s a solid lager with breads notes and spicy finish similar to a spaten.

Attachments

• 27698B4C-6405-4573-9B7B-4C8865885533.jpeg
    27698B4C-6405-4573-9B7B-4C8865885533.jpeg
    897.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 139D0A33-6CA6-4856-B616-3904D60717D0.jpeg
    139D0A33-6CA6-4856-B616-3904D60717D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • BCE635AA-9BC3-4B9D-A999-95179164C5B8.jpeg
    BCE635AA-9BC3-4B9D-A999-95179164C5B8.jpeg
    950.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DC7819FB-8053-4ABF-8330-FDDC5C8D5816.jpeg
    DC7819FB-8053-4ABF-8330-FDDC5C8D5816.jpeg
    882.9 KB · Views: 35
So I just tapped my German Lager I tried to make. It’s good and super easy. Boiled 2 gallons of wort for 5 minutes after adding the Light Pilsner DME once water hit boil. Then steeped 1oz Saaz for 40 minutes with an occasional stir. Cooled to ~68 degrees and pitched S-189. After 5 days ferment (no air lock activity after 3), I put fermentor in fridge and dry hopped with 1oz Hellertau for 2 days. 4 days total in the fridge and then transferred to keg and burst carb at 40 psi for 18 hour. It’s a solid lager with breads notes and spicy finish similar to a spaten.
Simple enough to be great!

Curious what you think about using campden tablets instead of a short boil?

I intend to give this recipe a shot over the holidays and would prefer to let the beer cool naturally over 24 hrs, during which time the campden tablets would be able to do their work before I pitched.

Curious what you think about using campden tablets instead of a short boil?

I intend to give this recipe a shot over the holidays and would prefer to let the beer cool naturally over 24 hrs, during which time the campden tablets would be able to do their work before I pitched.
I don't use any additives, so these things wouldn't be an option for me.

Back