The kettle that I'm still looking for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I've been looking at kettles over the last few weeks, both online and at the LBHS, and I can't seem to find the perfect one. The spec is basically as follows: 10gal, ball valve, thermometer, sight glass and a basket to do BIAB. Also, preferably tall and narrow vs. short and wide.

The Blichmann is close, but to use a basket, or even a brew bag, you need to remove the thermometer so that is a big minus. I was surprised to see how high up the thermometer is mounted when I got to actually see it in the store. They are expensive too, but I think since it is complete it isn't that much more than adding the other parts to a basic kettle.

The Bayou pots are cheap, but they are out of stock on all models with a spigot. They come with baskets and that is a nice feature.

There are various mega-pots and others made just like them, and these seem close.

What else out there is ready made that has most of these features? I'm not averse to having to DIY some of it, but to take a drill to a brand new kettle makes me a little nervous even if I know I'm capable.

My personal unqualified recommendation is to either buy the kettle, then add from there or buy one ready to go. Whichever brand/price is a lesser argument. I think spikebrewing has one of the bang for the buck deals going on stainless if you can live without a sandwich bottom. What makes his particularly valuable is the welded ports. If you're good with weldless,there's a whole other category you can look at, including getting a kettle, then adding piece by piece.

I went through that thought process and decided I don't want a sight glass (extra cleaning) or built in thermometer (rather be able to move the probe) (he he). And while Seven's process with the basket is an awesome sight, the basket doesn't seem to be a necessity.

I think Bayou has the best tall and skinny kettles, with polarware probably a close second. The others all appear more squatty. (not Blichmann)

I have a 44 qt/11 gallon Bayou Classic Stainless Steel with the perferated SS basket that I picked up about a year ago. I think I remember that it was $97.00 shipped. I then added a SS bulkhead and three piece ball valve from Bargain Fittings for $31.00 and later added a pickup tube for $16.00 more. You could probably do a regular ball valve without the pickup tube for about $25.00.

When I was researching, everyone told me it was too thin, would dent, etc. Of course none of these people critical of it owned one. The pot is great build, plenty thick, wouldn't dent unless you took a hammer to it.

I do BIAB 5-7 gallon batches in this pot, and it is still in really good condition. I would buy it again!

Back