The Importance of Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriznac

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people find that using the correct glass for the style of beer is important. If you do use different glasses why do you find them to be superior compared to a regular pint glass or mug?

Not really "correct", but I use goblets for mostly everything. I just like the way they concentrate the aromas.

I personally think it makes a difference. We "taste" things with all of our senses. It is important for a glass to concentrate aromas, as well as make the beer look enticing. Personally, one beer glass over another doesn't make a big difference to me, but I just hate it when good beer gets served in those stupid restaurant water glasses.

One of my favorite places here does that. Great place with an awesome atmosphere, great food, fantastic beer...poured into water glasses.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off on a rant there...

I use pint-shaped* heavy bar glasses for pretty much everything.

Frater Mus
* not really a pint, but what most restaurants call a pint

I've always subscribed to the "bigger is better" when it comes to beer mugs and glasses........with one exception. Hefeweizen. It absolutely must be consumed in an actual hefe .5 liter glass. And it should NEVER be bottled in anything smaller than a .5 liter bottle. I'm not talking about the US swill labeled as hefe, but classic bavarian hefe. It just doesn't taste right in a regular glass, and it doesn't hold a head right in a regular glass. And it should never be drank right out of the bottle.

That Sam Adams glass really brings out the hops

1182200652_9802.jpg

I probably don't use the correct glass for each style, but I do like drinking beer from nice glassware.

For a lot of my beers I use pint mason jars. They concentrate the hops nicely and they make it difficult to spill.

Luckily, work has allowed me to purchase glassware at a fairly low price. I got a set of the SA glasses for Christmas a couple years ago, and have also picked up some glasses here and there. All in all I have pretty much every glass needed for every style. When I get home I will see if I can put them all in a picture...

The beer makes the glass, the glass doesn't make the beer.

Not really.

A different glass for differing beer styles makes a lot of difference. Sure, ****ty beer in any glass will still be ****ty beer, but if I can get a good beer in the proper glass, it makes a big difference to me. I have a few of each style I like to drink from, my favorites being this style:

thumbnail.asp

I use English tuliped pints, Tulips, or a snifter for most everything.

I'm such an ubersnob and I abhor shaker pints like no one's business. Beer should be kept far away from them at all costs. They weren't designed for beer, so I fail to see why people keep putting beer in them. Kills head, lets all the aroma escape, doesn't allow for extended release of carbonation. Total crap.

I really believe that the proper glass can have an impact on the beer, I only have pint glasses at this point but I would like to improve my glass situation. Does anyone have a good source to purchase all of the different style glasses?

Thanks.

Eastside

For me, as long as the whole beer can be poured and still have plenty of room to swirl the beer and appreciate the aromas.... that'll do :D

Back