The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pool has actually been playing a bit more counter this year to draw teams away from their goal. I don’t think Spurs were ready for it.

Alison had a great 15 minutes when Spurs finally got shots on net, but I think Fabinho/Henderson and their watercarrying were the men o the match. Broke almost every attack through the middle apart before if could get dangerous.

Not the best game, but I am still bathing in the glow.

Also-

In the actual laws of the game, to be a handball it must be *deliberate*, and movement of hand to ball, *not* ball to hand, constitutes a handball. While the position of the arm *can* be a factor, it is EXPLICITLY not an *inherent* factor.

The arm in an unnatural position part is an interpretation primarily by UEFA as an invented benchmark for intent.

And by this, only because Moussa's arm moved down after the ball struck his chest could this even be considered.

I guess in Europe footballers are only allowed to play Tina Belcher-style.

tenor%20(2).gif

Considering how the two sides got there, it was a horrible match after the semi finals both team played.

Don't think the early goal helped either side. Certainly not Liverpool who were then given the option to sit on their lead. Since they could rarely string together 10 passes, they did just that for large parts. Was finding it difficult to celebrate after the match as I found it all a bit of an anti climax. Odd, I know.

I am sure most fans don't give a toss if their team plays poor, and wins the cup, but I felt we were owed so much more.

Kane should never have played, and his presence made it easier for Liverpool. He's not mobile, and not match fit. Liverpools defence has also improved, but Spurs did have chances to score. We stuck ours in, and got the pen. Hand above the shoulder, then you are going to get a pen. Don't point to your mates in the box next time. Harsh, but it was a pen, and that is all there is to it.

Klopp and Poch couple of the best, if not the best managers in the league. They will need backing if either side is to upset city next season.

Last edited:
In the end, the match was like quite a few World Cup matches you watch were no team takes real control, and both sides are leery of mistakes, than taking the game on. Few risks taken.

It's is a large reason I don't like the World Cup very much either.

I am still of the opinion we'd have been given a better game if it was played 2 weeks ago. The time off almost made it feel like a peseason friendly, or those god awful world club final matches in some sweat box in Asia.

The thing with Kane, that was the case on Saturday, even if he's closed down, he's able to improve those around him.

My letdown wasn't Kane as much as Eriksen.

Anyway, what does a BJCP master get to do? Drink loads of ale samples. "Giz a job!"

Can't be that hard. Been doing it years, me. Moins certification.

The thing with Kane, that was the case on Saturday, even if he's closed down, he's able to improve those around him.

My letdown wasn't Kane as much as Eriksen.
Tell me who was outstanding for either side in that match? Even alison making the stops. They are stops he should be making. Few times I found myself asking if some players were actually on the pitch. Was utter rubbish, but typical for a footy final, which is sad really.

Anyway, what does a BJCP master get to do? Drink loads of ale samples. "Giz a job!"

Can't be that hard. Been doing it years, me. Moins certification.
Usually means a guaranteed seat judging Best Of Show and that's about it.
Tell me who was outstanding for either side in that match? Even alison making the stops. They are stops he should be making. Few times I found myself asking if some players were actually on the pitch. Was utter rubbish, but typical for a footy final, which is sad really.
I'll agree with that. It was cagey and reserved. I do think Pool opted to play a boring safe game more than Spurs. Spurs failed to generate any real threat.

May as well have played Burnley ;)

WWC is under way. Gold Cup about to start. Not feeling good about the USA in either one, hopefully they prove me wrong.
Don't forget Cops America. The Young Yanks made it to quarterfinals of U20 World Cup. England is playing for 3rd place in UEFA Nations League. Then we have The US Open Cup. A lot of footie for us fans to enjoy.

Don't forget Cops America. The Young Yanks made it to quarterfinals of U20 World Cup. England is playing for 3rd place in UEFA Nations League. Then we have The US Open Cup. A lot of footie for us fans to enjoy.
I am footied out. Waited too long for the bloody ECL final - if I am being honest. Disappoining match despite the reds winning, in all honestly. Terrible really.

Happy to watch Golf and F1 racing, and any more rugby on offer through the summer.

I really like national team play. I know that it's not usually as high quality but it's kinda what got me into soccer. So with Women's World Cup, Copa America, and the Gold Cup all right now, I'm very happy to see something on TV most times.

Spurs aren't doing as well as the table suggests lol

If we continue playing like this, gonna struggle to stay top 4.

But at least we're doing better than Chelsea and ManUre lol (though ManUre are in the same boat as us....just look a lot worse)

And either way I'll take a wholly undeserved point at the Etihad.

This VAR penalty situation is a disaster.

Officials are instructed to hold off calling penalties so VAR can see. Then the bar to overrule the official for not calling the penalty is so high that none are being awarded.

ManUre was robbed a BLATANT one. And so were we.

Maybe it'll stop diving in the box. But you know defenders will try, and succeed to get away with murder if this continues.

Of course Spurs played like sh*te again regardless.

I'm nervous. And starting to seriously doubt Poch. His tactics and team selection have made no sense.

The future looks brighter than this season. Lot’s of young attacking talent.
this weekend has been one of the best. Both main London rivals lose & then there was manure's loss to Crystal Palace. Makes up a bit for that 4-0 drubbing at Ole Trafford, but Chelsea are still -3 in the GD department, but we are closer to that 40 point region :) in the HomeBrew department, I am about to brew an Ole English Ale. I am calling it Super Frankie Lampard Ale (AKA SFL Ale). I will brew it in Sept. I just need to make some configuration changes to my BIAB equipment.

this weekend has been one of the best. Both main London rivals lose & then there was manure's loss to Crystal Palace. Makes up a bit for that 4-0 drubbing at Ole Trafford, but Chelsea are still -3 in the GD department, but we are closer to that 40 point region :) in the HomeBrew department, I am about to brew an Ole English Ale. I am calling it Super Frankie Lampard Ale (AKA SFL Ale). I will brew it in Sept. I just need to make some configuration changes to my BIAB equipment.

Better hope it cones good by Christmas! (The manager and the beer)

Also while I'm not thrilled about facing Bayern, of the Pot 1 clubs they've been in a slump and our other competitors leave me fancying our advancement chance. Of the English clubs I think City got the favorable draw. But City has some travel woes.

Barca, BVB, Inter, Slavia Prague, is arguably the group of death. The latter has no chance, and I suspect Inter will be frustrated at a second straight drop from the group stage, but I could see them nicking a knockout spot too.

This VAR penalty situation is a disaster.

Officials are instructed to hold off calling penalties so VAR can see. Then the bar to overrule the official for not calling the penalty is so high that none are being awarded.

ManUre was robbed a BLATANT one. And so were we.

Maybe it'll stop diving in the box. But you know defenders will try, and succeed to get away with murder if this continues.

Of course Spurs played like sh*te again regardless.

I'm nervous. And starting to seriously doubt Poch. His tactics and team selection have made no sense.

In West Ham’s game vs Watford last week there was a penalty given straight away (within the first minute) and then confirmed by VAR.

In West Ham’s game vs Watford last week there was a penalty given straight away (within the first minute) and then confirmed by VAR.
Handball? Seems to be the only thing VAR *will* call ;)

I just watched a replay. That was no more blatant than any of the others (very similar to the non-call to Kane). Bet had he not pointed to the spot VAR would have said no PK.

Last edited:
Ugh. Another disaster.

Vertonghen looked poor. I don't know if that's rust or if I should have trusted Poch more.

Sissoko needs a goal. The lack of confidence is palpable.

And I'm amazed no one was sent off. Despite Sokratis going full on dark arts trying to get Winks sent off.

Winks had a better match at least.

But this full on centerback crisis is mortifying me.

Ugh. Another disaster.

Vertonghen looked poor. I don't know if that's rust or if I should have trusted Poch more.

Sissoko needs a goal. The lack of confidence is palpable.

And I'm amazed no one was sent off. Despite Sokratis going full on dark arts trying to get Winks sent off.

Winks had a better match at least.

But this full on centerback crisis is mortifying me.

Yes, what is going on in the back? AND, why in the hell isn’t Moura playing???

Back