The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I normally hate the international breaks, this one couldn't have come at a better time for Arsenal. We should get as many as 4 players back from injury after this break. I'll keep my fingers crossed we don't pick up any extra injuries.

The lack of depth and players being forced to play out of position really showed against WBA yesterday.

The lack of depth and players being forced to play out of position really showed against WBA yesterday.

Frankly, with Arsenal's resources, that is a problem that should not exist and is down to the manager or board of directors. A lack of depth in the squad is a problem for smaller clubs, but should not apply to the Gunners.

The saints defense is serving me nicely in the FPL!

Ooops! I forgot all about my FPL team lately!! :eek:

Saints having any kind of defence at all is a totally foreign concept to me. It's great to see, but I notice that this season they have changed their style of play along with the new-found solidarity at defensive midfield and defence.

We are less fun to watch now, and that is a shame........I'll still take the 4th position though!!

Interesting fact about that 4th position that is pleasing many Saints fans: When Saints were bought by new owners a few years back from near bankruptcy and languishing in the third tier with points deductions in place.....The new owner declared his intention to have Saints in a European championship place in 5 years....That was an impossible task, and how we all laughed. OK, the season is not over yet, and we will drop down some, but that goal has technically been met! We ARE in that place for now!.....Amazing stuff, really. I went to my first Saints match in 1969, and the last few years have by far been the most interesting time to be a Saints fan!:rockin:

Frankly, with Arsenal's resources, that is a problem that should not exist and is down to the manager or board of directors. A lack of depth in the squad is a problem for smaller clubs, but should not apply to the Gunners.

True, and while I agree, I was mainly referring to our midfield, where we had 4 key players out with injury. That was what caused Ramsey to be played on the right and Wilshere on the left.

The lack of depthat Arsenal is a fallacy. Arsenal at least two deep at all spots except for Striker and Second CB. The attacking midfield roles are a little thin because we are missing FOUR guys. I think having Lukas, Theo, Santi, and Ox out makes the team look thiner than it is. Now we need a fourth CB and a second striker but I think most teams have one or two spots where they are stacked and these spots can be easily improved in January.

Camilo Sanvezzo has pretty much sealed the deal on MLS Goal of the Year. There's no contest unless something absolutely insane happens in the next couple weeks.

Speaking of absolutely insane, please direct your attention to the video below:
[ame="http://youtu.be/qlwmerKFgAU"]http://youtu.be/qlwmerKFgAU[/ame]

Not only was the goal spectacular, but the set up was excellent. Darren Maddox showed some impressive footwork and Y.P. Lee planted that cross perfectly on a half-volley with a harsh angle.

What are the US National Team fans hoping for; Mexico to miss the World Cup or for them to make it?

I know I am hoping they lose tomorrow and miss out!

What are the US National Team fans hoping for; Mexico to miss the World Cup or for them to make it?

I know I am hoping they lose tomorrow and miss out!

I'm kind of torn on this. Part of me wants to see them out because of crap US fans have received from Mexico fans about how much better they are. But on the other hand I'd like to see them qualify so we have a strong showing for the CONCACAF region (assuming they can step it up for the tournament.)

I'm kind of torn on this. Part of me wants to see them out because of crap US fans have received from Mexico fans about how much better they are. But on the other hand I'd like to see them qualify so we have a strong showing for the CONCACAF region (assuming they can step it up for the tournament.)

I notice that a lot of people talk about how Mexico not going makes CONCACAF look weaker. Wouldn't Panama making it show just the opposite? Another qualifying should show how the teams of the region are getting better. Costa Rica is undoubtedly better than four years ago, Honduras is better than they were four years ago, Panama is greatly improved over four years ago.

Very good points.

With Mexico beating Panama, though, they are three points ahead of Panama and sit in the playoff spot. Honduras is likely to beat Jamaica so I'd say they have solidified the third spot. So the playoff spot is basically a race between Mexico and Panama. Does anybody know how tie-breakers work in this tournament? Is it Goals For first or Goal Differential?

So apparently the Lewandowski to Bayern deal is off.....as predicted.
Where do you guys think he'll end up? Or does he re-sign with BVB?

He'll still join Bayern most likely. Probably doing this because of his agent wanting him to make as much money as possible.

I believe Bayern were actually the first to come out and say they were no longer interested in purchasing him. Presumably because they've been having so much success with the Spanish style false 9 formation, and have no need for a true striker. Mandzukic isn't even playing much.

I was never sold on Bayern waiting a year for Robert. Did not see him fitting Pep's system. The long he is at the Bayern the more he will see areas to upgrade with players who fit his system and the less Lewa is seen as fitting that.

As a Dortmund fan I see no way he stays with the club either though. For some reason two Bundesliga titles a Champions League final is not a big club. So I think Madrid is the most likely place he ends. He would be an up grade over Benzima but I don't know how him, Ronaldo, and Bale would play together.

Chelsea could be the other player. The really need a number one CF and he would fit the bill. I just think Lukaku is that player and the sooner they let him become a member of the team be better of Chelsea will be.

Meanwhile back in the states the Timbers now lead the Western Conference.:rockin::rockin::rockin:

But it could change several times before the season is over. This race has been nuts. Right now I'm just hoping for LA to win Wednesday against Montreal and Sunday against San Jose.

And purely because I want them to avoid the play-in match. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my fiancee and I will be at those games....
other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

Even though Landy Cakes, Omar, Keane, and Panedo might not be able to play one or both of those matches, the blue white and gold can pull out some wins. This won't be the first time the reserves have saved the day.

I was never sold on Bayern waiting a year for Robert. Did not see him fitting Pep's system. The long he is at the Bayern the more he will see areas to upgrade with players who fit his system and the less Lewa is seen as fitting that.

As a Dortmund fan I see no way he stays with the club either though. For some reason two Bundesliga titles a Champions League final is not a big club. So I think Madrid is the most likely place he ends. He would be an up grade over Benzima but I don't know how him, Ronaldo, and Bale would play together.

Chelsea could be the other player. The really need a number one CF and he would fit the bill. I just think Lukaku is that player and the sooner they let him become a member of the team be better of Chelsea will be.

I would bet on Arsenal at least sniffing around him. They have so many creative mids, but no poacher up top.

As far as joining Bayern, if he's there he'll be used. Pep's greatest successes came with David VIlla up top. So i doubt that they wouldn't consider a true striker. Though as long as they have Robben, Muller, and Ribery I don't think they'll gun for a striker too hard.

I would bet on Arsenal at least sniffing around him. They have so many creative mids, but no poacher up top.

As far as joining Bayern, if he's there he'll be used. Pep's greatest successes came with David VIlla up top. So i doubt that they wouldn't consider a true striker. Though as long as they have Robben, Muller, and Ribery I don't think they'll gun for a striker too hard.

You also forgot Mario Mandzukic with Bayern too who is their primary stirker. While Pep did use Villa, he was used mostly from a wide position and Villa nad Lewa are really quite different in their styles of play.

As for Arsenal I am sure they would inquire but I would be pretty shocked it he picked us. Arsenal are rumored to be lining up a new 50M Pound bid for Suarez come Jan. so if that happens we know there will be no interest in brining Lewa in the summer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z6Q6MQi3F5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Six of the eight Seeds are now spoken for for the World Cup*: Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Belgium, and Switzerland.

Four teams are still alive for the last for the last two. Italy and Netherlands are tied 1136 points and are done with their games. Colombia can get 1178 with a win and Uruguay can get to 1164 with a win.

*This is according the the FIFA Rankings Calculator and not official final FIFA Rankings.

Not that this game means anything but the US has been terrible in possession, bunch of lazy passes. Feel like some guys are mentally taking the game off. Really so far only Mix has stood out as being creative and exciting. Seeminlg every other Castillo touch has resulted in a turnover

This line up was always going to struggle early. They got better as the half went along. But if Costa Rica can score again a lose will not bother me one bit since it would send Mexico packing!

That was one of the oddest goals I've seen.

And as fun as it would be for Mexico to be eliminated, I'd rather have the FIFA ranking and I really haven't enjoyed how the Panamanians have been playing so beating them despite their chippy play would make me feel good.

Though the consolation of Mexico being elminated would rock. Just don't want a draw.

And man how did that ref not call the foul for the dude literally pushing Jozy to the ground? Or issue a yellow (could argue red) right before that for the dangerous late slide from behind.

What a showing by the Yanks. Have to give them credit for playing a full 90!

Gotta feel bad for Panama to be so close and have it slip through their fingers but they deserved to lose.

Scotland beating Croatia 2-0 yesterday was unreal! Put it on the hd projector in my work and didn't do anything for 90 minutes! Beat them in Croatia when they were number 3 in the world and now beat them at home!

Pity we only won 1 other game but the only way is up!

Arsenal with 4 beautiful goals.

Hopstupid?
Sorry "bro" but you talked quite a bit of smack this past summer. ;)

HoppyDaze said:

That was pretty amazing.
Ramsey's goal was great as well.

And...I'll go ahead and say it...Bendtner's play impressed me today. Arsenal had a lot of trouble sustaining possession but when they held it they were passing it around better than Barcelona or Bayern. When bendtner came on I was amazed that he could keep up with the speed of their passing and he was able to move in triangles just like Giroud does.

Its going to be a long season with some incredibly tough games coming up but they really impressed me today.

The movement was great but I read about the goal before seeing it and they were harping this and that and so on so forth about everyone in the play, while Giroud made a great hold and pass that play when I watch it was about 90% Wilshere his run was super, the heel flick was insane, who pulls that off and continues running? I assumed when I first watched the replay that it was played forward by the Norwich defender.

As a Saints supporter, I have to go a loooong way back to see the good stuff. However, for team goals? I submit this from the days when everything was blurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this Arsenal team is starting to give am a special feeling! I think the silverware draught might be coming to an end!

And man what's happened to Seattle! Go from leading the Supporters Shield to now maybe missing the playoffs! Could this be Sigi's last stand?

Back