The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The match was awesome to attend.

Had one complaint and that was that the San Jose Ultras

That bunch has been a problem since day 1. I traveled to Spartan stadium with the LA Riot Squad back in 2003 and they we're tools then.

I would love to see a Bradley and anyone other than Jones combo in our midfield but sadly I don't think it'll happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Almost any time a group decides to use Ultra in their name.. they can't wait to show how tough and vulgar they can be...

I'm sure there are exceptions..maybe

Almost any time a group decides to use Ultra in their name.. they can't wait to show how tough and vulgar they can be...

I'm sure there are exceptions..maybe

This is true.

On a side note, SWMBO and I have shown up on a few SF news sites. We're the mustachioed dude and the-shortest-Yanks-fan on the right:

960x540.jpg

One day until the next match... against world number 39: Turkey.

Wonder if we'll see some of the guys not featured in the first match...

Will the starting lineup be different? Will they hold Clint Dempsey out again?

Where is Freddy Adu? :D(amazingly.. he hasn't turned 25 yet... he does next week)

Who is going to be at the match from HomeBrewTalk?

What New Jersey or Philly beer will people drink before, during and after the match?

I wish I was going, work you know.

I will be in celebration of the win drinking some Boat Beer from Carton after work.

I think we'll see largely the same. Unless someoen leaps someone in training. I think the most likely spots for that are fullback, LM, and Cameron's spot.

As an LA supporter, I can't tell you how many times Lampard was linked to a move to the Galaxy. I'll wait until there's an official announcement.

One thing that made me question the legitimacy was that it said he would take a significant pay cut. I think the writer is still stuck in MLS 1.0 and doesn't realize the massive deals that have come about the last couple years.

Have faith in klinsmann! He's certainly earned this lifetime fan's respect quite quickly with how things have been since he took over, no disrespect to Bradley whatsoever....

As an LA supporter, I can't tell you how many times Lampard was linked to a move to the Galaxy. I'll wait until there's an official announcement.

One thing that made me question the legitimacy was that it said he would take a significant pay cut. I think the writer is still stuck in MLS 1.0 and doesn't realize the massive deals that have come about the last couple years.

Very true..... Duece and Bradley are making plenty of coin!

It will likely be a paycut compared to what he's making now. That being said like Beckham and Henry he's gonna make a lot of money in advertising. Right now he's making 7.86 GBP, he's not gonna get paid 13M USD in MLS. Edit. Or anywhere else.

Lampard is already 35..... turns 36 this month.... so he'll turn 37 during their first season....

I think there were better DP signings to be had out there....

David Villa will at least be only 33 when the next season starts....

That's a bit telling. Lampard is over the hill now, and MLS deserves a bit better. Just a few years from now, hopefully, people will be wondering why the MLS would want such a has-been even at a knock-down wage.

Chase skill, not name power.

That's a bit telling. Lampard is over the hill now, and MLS deserves a bit better. Just a few years from now, hopefully, people will be wondering why the MLS would want such a has-been even at a knock-down wage.

Chase skill, not name power.

MLS needs both. They need the names less now than 5 years ago or so. Lampard still has some skill. He's like Henry or Beckham, he's not elite anymore but he's still more than good enough to be one of the better players in MLS. His name and Chelsea pedigree will draw the attention of some of the more casual fans. I think the best move MLS could have made for it's pedigree was bringing back Dempsey and Bradley, the next best would have been to get Howard but he's already indicated he's done after Everton.

MLS needs both. They need the names less now than 5 years ago or so. Lampard still has some skill. He's like Henry or Beckham, he's not elite anymore but he's still more than good enough to be one of the better players in MLS. His name and Chelsea pedigree will draw the attention of some of the more casual fans. I think the best move MLS could have made for it's pedigree was bringing back Dempsey and Bradley, the next best would have been to get Howard but he's already indicated he's done after Everton.

Too right bro.

Some early musing on 2018. I would think Dempsey and Donovan would be in play. Almost certainly not as starters but could be for reserves if they're fit and in form.

Assuming health and guys stay in form/develop what I would like to see for next round of WC

GK - Guzan (never know if Johnson or Hamid will pass him but I don't think they will)
RB - Yedlin
CB - Brooks
CB - Besler/Gonzalez/Cameron
LB - Johnson
RM - Gatt (Ok this is probably a big stretch, but I love his potential)
CM - Bradley
CM - Mix
LM - Shea
CF - Green
ST - Jozy

Loking down the line our stengths seem to be defense, center mid, and striking, of course goaltending as well, US has always rocked at that. Zusi could easily be on the team, I'm just not sure what role he'd play. I'm not sure if in 4 years he'll have the speed to play out wide. Of course things and roles change.

I don't disagree, I just think that MLS has a better status now that will grow even further. Lampard is a bit borderline in name status and skill for the present day MLS IMO

Lineups announced.

This is the setup I've been wanting to see, except Gonzo in for Cameron.

But I've had a good feeling about Davis and Zusi starting on opposite wings. This diamond could produce some great attacking waves.

I don't disagree, I just think that MLS has a better status now that will grow even further. Lampard is a bit borderline in name status and skill for the present day MLS IMO

Lampard has Chelsea pedigree. No he's not Beckham or even Henry, but he's way more worth it for name than RObby Keane or Jermaine Defoe. Defoe for sure has more skill than Lampard at this point though. I also have to wonder if Yedlin's inclusion isn't a Klinsmann play to boost MLS name on the US roster.

US defense hasn't looked good. I'm thinking they need someone better than Jones holding. He seems to be getting pulled too far forward and letting in deep runs.

First half thoughts. US was the better side overall. Being up a goal is deserved whether they're up 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 defense looked sharper when they got the lead letting up most of their chances early on. The defensive chemistry is off, but the individual efforts have been great. I don't know who I'd pick between Chandler and Beasley. I don't think Beasley makes all the plays Chandler did today. I also don't think Beasley lets as many people get past him that Chandler did. But I think that it's chemistry thing for the line. Unforunately there's just no real obvious defensive leader. Cherundolo's knee issues really hurt the US JMO.

First half thoughts. US was the better side overall. Being up a goal is deserved whether they're up 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2 defense looked sharper when they got the lead letting up most of their chances early on. The defensive chemistry is off, but the individual efforts have been great. I don't know who I'd pick between Chandler and Beasley. I don't think Beasley makes all the plays Chandler did today. I also don't think Beasley lets as many people get past him that Chandler did. But I think that it's chemistry thing for the line. Unforunately there's just no real obvious defensive leader. Cherundolo's knee issues really hurt the US JMO.

I think they're lucky to be up one, honestly. Too many lapses in the back that turkey could have capitalized on but didn't.

Offense has been ok, although Bradley had me worried prior to the goal because he appeared to be just as off as he was last game. The assist buys him some wiggle room. :)

Jozy's hold up play has been solid, and his first touch has been better than against AZE, but that's not saying a lot.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

US also had some A+ chances that were blocked like Turkey and a ticky-tack disallowed goal.

Ticky tack if you like, but if you shove the goalie you're giving the ref an excuse to make the call.

Do not agree about A+ chances. A+ chances don't regularly get blocked, that's part of what makes them A+ chances. :D Semantics aside, IMO, turkey had more and better chances that didn't go in vs US, but ain't no reason we need to agree on that. :)

Oh, but I'll grant that the Bradley shot that got blocked was at least a B+ chance. :)

Quality win for the Yanks.

John Brooks had the best game I've seen him play on the senior squad. CHandler looked like he could have been a lock but that last move was rough.

I almost wonder if the US is better with Beckerman or Cameron at the CDM role.

Quality win for the Yanks.

John Brooks had the best game I've seen him play on the senior squad. CHandler looked like he could have been a lock but that last move was rough.

I almost wonder if the US is better with Beckerman or Cameron at the CDM role.

Jones would be GREAT... if he could accept staying back and supporting the defense first.... and only attacking if it was clear for him to go forward and Bradley stay back..

Beckerman isn't as talented, but he understands the role.... I like Cameron even better there... faster and more skilled on the ball.. but he was fine today at center back...

I think Besler might have lost his job... he hasn't been good either game.

On a side note... my team.. the Houston Dynamo are a hot mess without Brad Davis and Boniek Garcia... don't have the depth to cover for them being out along with a concussion injury to Ricardo Clark which has kept him out of 4 straight games.

I thought Besler was strong today. I mean he made some mistakes but he also made some heady plays to stop the midfielders from moving forward when they were. I really don't know what's gonna happen at CB. Gonzalez is seemingly not 100%

Jones was better today than against Azerbaijan. He stayed home most of the time and played a gutsy game. A few times he was caught lagging and letting some guys in in space. But overall he was strong in his positioning, his distribution though. He's trying too hard to make a killer pass from the back instead of just moving it to Bradley, Zusi or Davis who're all pass masters. I'm sure Klinsmann will address that.

John Brooks looked good and Yedlin looked good. That was nice to see that the young guys provided some spark. Someone needs to teach Yedlin to stay back though.

And it really looks like Mix is the first choice off the bench. No one has done more off the bench aside from maybe Davis the last game. Mix is gonna be starting along side Bradley in 4 years in a 4-4-2 or maybe he replaces Zusi I'm not sure but the kid is gonna be part of the US's future.

One more additional note. Brad Guzan is certainly one of the best backup goalies in the world. if something tragic happens to Timmy we won't be totally screwed like some other teams.

I thought Besler was strong today. I mean he made some mistakes but he also made some heady plays to stop the midfielders from moving forward when they were. I really don't know what's gonna happen at CB. Gonzalez is seemingly not 100%

Jones was better today than against Azerbaijan. He stayed home most of the time and played a gutsy game. A few times he was caught lagging and letting some guys in in space. But overall he was strong in his positioning, his distribution though. He's trying too hard to make a killer pass from the back instead of just moving it to Bradley, Zusi or Davis who're all pass masters. I'm sure Klinsmann will address that.

John Brooks looked good and Yedlin looked good. That was nice to see that the young guys provided some spark. Someone needs to teach Yedlin to stay back though.

And it really looks like Mix is the first choice off the bench. No one has done more off the bench aside from maybe Davis the last game. Mix is gonna be starting along side Bradley in 4 years in a 4-4-2 or maybe he replaces Zusi I'm not sure but the kid is gonna be part of the US's future.

One more additional note. Brad Guzan is certainly one of the best backup goalies in the world. if something tragic happens to Timmy we won't be totally screwed like some other teams.
This. All of it.

Daaaaaaaang. NYCFC sign David Villa as their first player.

Again, I say: daaaaaaaaang.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xrYii5n5C14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ALso they kept talking about the movement of the striker and how the US would be facing better ones. I don't think that's true. Germany will be running a false 9 and while Gotze is really good. I don't think his movement will be much to worry about. I'm much more concerned with tucking in against the germans. Jones will absolutely need to be on his game that day as well as our fullbacks. And Postiga I assume is Portugal's starting man. Not sure where Ronaldo will play, if he's up top with Postiga then there will be potential issues with movement, if he's out wide, I'll feel better. Either way, Jones needs to play like he did after the first 15 minutes or so of yesterdays game. And Beckerman will be an almost certain sub if we have the lead/are tied.

That was a pretty good interview with David Villa....

man... I love my Dynamo... hate that we are owned by two different groups.. neither really want to spend money.. ugh.

Really need AEG to sell their portion... would like to see one unified owner with a vision.. it has always been clear.. even when AEG was the sole owner.. that Houston is second in their thoughts behind LA.

That was a pretty good interview with David Villa....

man... I love my Dynamo... hate that we are owned by two different groups.. neither really want to spend money.. ugh.

Really need AEG to sell their portion... would like to see one unified owner with a vision.. it has always been clear.. even when AEG was the sole owner.. that Houston is second in their thoughts behind LA.

It really is a shame. I agree that they should find a dedicated, local owner with deep pockets.

It seems the Hulkster thinks we're ready for Group G.

IT'S WORLD CUP TIME, BROTHER!
h73FD3A10

Back