The Honey One American Red Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a very nicest glass of The Honey One made by High Hops at Prost Brewery HiLo Denver CO
It was classed as an American Red Amber Ale
7.1 ABV
They used:
Nugget hops
Honey malt

I was looking here to see if anyone has a recipe for something close to this with the above Malt and Hops.

I had a very nicest glass of The Honey One made by High Hops at Prost Brewery HiLo Denver CO
It was classed as an American Red Amber Ale
7.1 ABV
They used:
Nugget hops
Honey malt

I was looking here to see if anyone has a recipe for something close to this with the above Malt and Hops.

It looks like it's actually called The Honeyed One and it's a lager made with honey malt and is 27 IBU's.

I don't see much about this beer online. I'd just get a decent red/amber recipe and add maybe 2-3% honey malt (a little goes a LONG way with honey malt) and make your recipe 27 IBUs, use some nugget hops in the whirlpool/dry hop, and lager it if you can. Once you taste it just take it from there.

Or you can try to contact the brewery and see if they'll give you an idea of the recipe they use.

Good luck! :mug:

Shoot them an e-mail. They're a really laid back brewery and the head brewer is a cool guy. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you some insight.

http://www.highhopsbrewery.com/contact.html

Thank you M C Zero I will reach out to the brewery, the Honeyed One is a very tasty brew.
The Prost brewery is the one spot that SWMBO likes every beer that they make, she always gets a flight at every micro brew we find, I on the other hand always look over the menu and pick one and get the full pour I picked the Marzen seasonal very good beer, but that Honey One on my next choice was a guest beer and tasted really good.

It looks like it's actually called The Honeyed One and it's a lager made with honey malt and is 27 IBU's.

I don't see much about this beer online. I'd just get a decent red/amber recipe and add maybe 2-3% honey malt (a little goes a LONG way with honey malt) and make your recipe 27 IBUs, use some nugget hops in the whirlpool/dry hop, and lager it if you can. Once you taste it just take it from there.

Or you can try to contact the brewery and see if they'll give you an idea of the recipe they use.

Good luck! :mug:

Ill be crossing my fingers on a nice response from the brewer!
I BIAB and if you mite have a nice red/amber recipe that you think would work well with honey malt & nugget hops I'd be willing to make a nice 5 or 6gl batch :mug:

Thank you M C Zero I will reach out to the brewery, the Honeyed One is a very tasty brew.
The Prost brewery is the one spot that SWMBO likes every beer that they make, she always gets a flight at every micro brew we find, I on the other hand always look over the menu and pick one and get the full pour I picked the Marzen seasonal very good beer, but that Honey One on my next choice was a guest beer and tasted really good.

I've never been to a microbrewery where these were mutually exclusive. I've always had the option to start with a sampler flight and then go to a full pour if I wanted. Sometimes I've even been offered a sample pour of a beer if I'm undecided if I want that one.:mug::ban:

Ill be crossing my fingers on a nice response from the brewer!
I BIAB and if you mite have a nice red/amber recipe that you think would work well with honey malt & nugget hops I'd be willing to make a nice 5 or 6gl batch :mug:

This is my house Amber recipe. It's really good and you can make it pretty resiny if you add a lot of late hops. Play around with it...

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.8%
IBU: ~50
6 Gallons

10lbs 2-row
1.25lb Munich
14oz English Crystal medium 60L
7oz Crystal 120
2.5oz Chocolate Malt
Mash @ 154*
.85oz Apollo @ FWH
1oz Cascade @ 15
1oz ea Centennial/Amarillo @ 0
US05 - Cali Ale Yeast
Dry Hop - 1oz Citra & .5oz CTZ

Mash @ 152 for 60 min

Shoot them an e-mail. They're a really laid back brewery and the head brewer is a cool guy. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you some insight.

http://www.highhopsbrewery.com/contact.html

The head brewer responded in record time,Quote:
So the honeyed one is a Pilsen base with about 18 percent honey malt 20L and another 15 percent caramel malt 40L. mash at 150F and Nugget Hops.
Cal ale yeast is used.
Hope this helps. end of Quote.

So I'm in Uncharted waters here,
I've never a tempted a Pilsen style beer,
I do have a freeze/fermenter that I can use to control the temps.
I BIAB and Bottle only at this time.

This is the recipe that I've butchered more than likely for this attempt:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Honey One

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Classic American Pilsner
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.77%
IBU (tinseth): 28.37
SRM (morey): 28.09

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (50%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen (10%)
2.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (12.5%)
3 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (15%)
2.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (12.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.12
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.25

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 7.5 gal
2) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 7.5 qt

YEAST:
White Labs - California Ale Yeast WLP001
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Any advice with this would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
This is the recipe that I've butchered more than likely for this attempt:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Honey One

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Classic American Pilsner
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.77%
IBU (tinseth): 28.37
SRM (morey): 28.09

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (50%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen (10%)
2.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (12.5%)
3 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (15%)
2.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (12.5%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.12
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.25

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 7.5 gal
2) Temperature, Temp: 170 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 7.5 qt

YEAST:
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 68 - 73 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Any advice with this would be greatly appreciated!

Can you explain your brewing process? I notice you have base malt and pilsner extract. Any reason for both with only a 1.075 ish beer? 7.1% ABV is definitely do-able but need to fully understand how you came up with your recipe before posting recommendations etc.

First off though, that at 25% crystal malt and another 15% honey, it would be sickly sweet. Also notice you're using 2-row instead of pilsner? If the brewer said Pilsner base with 18% honey and 15% crystal, I'd try and stick within that at that 7.1% ABV. I can get you there, just need to understand your equipment and process.

Bonecitybrew co, Thank you

All grain is want I'm trying to stick to now
BIAB
15gal kettle
5.5 to 6gal brews
boil size 7.5gl
Strike temp 164
Mash 152
mash out 170
cool to 70
carry carboy into house
pitch yeast after carry
place in freezer/fermenter or just leave at room temp
can cold crash if needed to clear
Bottle only at this time

I just took a Pilsner recipe and added the honey malt and crystal 40
took out the hops and replaced with Nugget,
trying to do this with Brewers Friend,
I Really don't want it sickly sweet not my intention at all,
I just don't know the ingredients, not enough studying about what adds what flavors/mouth feel

Bonecitybrew co, Thank you

All grain is want I'm trying to stick to now
BIAB
15gal kettle
5.5 to 6gal brews
boil size 7.5gl
Strike temp 164
Mash 152
mash out 170
cool to 70
carry carboy into house
pitch yeast after carry
place in freezer/fermenter or just leave at room temp
can cold crash if needed to clear
Bottle only at this time

I just took a Pilsner recipe and added the honey malt and crystal 40
took out the hops and replaced with Nugget,
trying to do this with Brewers Friend,
I Really don't want it sickly sweet not my intention at all,
I just don't know the ingredients, not enough studying about what adds what flavors/mouth feel

Sorry, still a bit confused. You said all grain is what you're trying to stick to, but then say BIAB. So, are you still only achieving 35% efficiency or?

I want to use All grain
and will be using just the one 15gl kettle
the 35% efficiency is not to my liking, I would like to be around 70%
all grains double crushed fine to increase efficiency.

I want to use All grain
and will be using just the one 15gl kettle
the 35% efficiency is not to my liking, I would like to be around 70%
all grains double crushed fine to increase efficiency.

Okay. This is based on 70% efficiency using all milled grain in the mash.
=========================
10 lb American Pilsner Malt - 66.9%
2 lb 11.2oz Honey Malt - 18.1%
2 lb 4 oz Crystal 40L - 15.1%

0.6 oz Nugget Hops 60 min

150F mash for 60 min
90 min boil

15 SRM
28 IBU
7.18% ABV with WLP001
OG: 1.070

Obviously this will change if your normal efficiency is not 70%.

How do you normally calculate your water etc for your recipes?

Yea, get that 12% of Crystal 80 outta there. That'll add some flavors and colors you don't really want in this beer.

I'd start with the recipe that bonecitybrewco provided you and go from there.

You could do an ale version of this beer if you cannot lager. Just make sure to use the right kind of yeast. Since the brewer was so quick to respond maybe ask what ale yeast he can recommend.

Thanks bobeer,
Going with the following:
1.071 Target OG
5.5 gal
15.2 grain bill
.6 Hops
68 grain temp
90 min Boil
157 Strike
150 Mash
10lb American - Pilsner 65.8%
2.7lb Canadian - Honey Malt 17.8%
2.5lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 16.4%
Hops
0.6 oz Nugget pellet 60 min 28.56 IBU
Yeast

Bonecitybrewco was a huge help can't thank'em enough!!!

I was tasked with working on water management, and went with Priceless brew in a bag calculator, that was another huge help,
8.84 Gal Total water needed after plugging in all the numbers.

Can't tell you how much I like this site!
Thanks again

Just a side note I checked out the Beer Smith site tons of all grain, good information, but did not see any BIAB calculator?
I might have missed it?

Just a side note I checked out the Beer Smith site tons of all grain, good information, but did not see any BIAB calculator?
I might have missed it?

There's not really a straight up calculator in beersmith for biab but there are equipment profiles you can tailor to your setup. Look in the dropdowns up by where you add the name of the brewer, batch size, etc. There's an equipment profile there for BIAB. You can add your own too.
For any of that stuff to be beneficial though you have to take the time to setup the profile for how your equipment works. Boil off rate, efficiency, etc.

Beersmith isn't as turnkey friendly as other recipe calculators out there but once you take the time to set it up it's a must have IMO.

There's not really a straight up calculator in beersmith for biab but there are equipment profiles you can tailor to your setup. Look in the dropdowns up by where you add the name of the brewer, batch size, etc. There's an equipment profile there for BIAB. You can add your own too.
For any of that stuff to be beneficial though you have to take the time to setup the profile for how your equipment works. Boil off rate, efficiency, etc.

Beersmith isn't as turnkey friendly as other recipe calculators out there but once you take the time to set it up it's a must have IMO.

Agree 100%. Now that I have my system dialed in I use Beersmith almost exclusively, other than jotting down ideas or stuff in quick online calculators.

Back