The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record: While I like it, it's not my favorite. But I've never been able to make it work on one of my pizzas. It always ends up a sloppy mess from the moisture.

I use canned(in juice, not heavy syrup) "tidbit" size. Not big chunks or crushed. Drain them in a strainer for about 15-20 minutes and use sparingly.

The "tidbits" are key! Also dry them on a plate in some paper towel

This conversation reminded me of fruit pizza. I think my mom used to make that, where she would take yogurt and spread it over cooked dough. Then top it with sliced strawberries and blueberries. Anybody have any ideas for dessert or fruit pizza?

I found a recipe for a s'mores pizza a while back that I wanted to try for dessert on pizza night. I haven't gotten around to giving it a try yet, but should probably dig it back up.

Grape can be good - halved red grapes, honey, rosemary and pecorino

or mix halved grapes, pine nuts, rosemary with a splash of white wine and some sugar, put that on wine and all, then chunks of ricotta

IMG_20190108_211658.jpg

I got a sourdough starter from an inlaw over the holidays. We thought we'd try sourdough crust and it was pretty good.

Chicken broccoli alfrado pizza.

this was a frozen marherita that i made in the wfo, added more toppings to it for a kitchen oven reheat
lVXMkPX.jpg

stuffed olives, gorgonzola, manchego, peppers, chillis, capers

Im always making pizza. I tried the steel on top rack with no broiler and meh. White crust, oddly enough after a long par bake at 550 and a long bake at 550 that white crust is crunchy as all get out. Super cracker with air pockets. I really want my crust to look like yeasties. Sugar and oil in dough is next move I guess. The broiler does it but blasts the cheese. Maybe broil on par bake. This oven sucks for pizza I wonder.
Screenshot_2019-01-17-20-24-11.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-17-20-23-43.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-17-20-23-28.jpeg

Applescrap , you could also try malted flour if you aren't already which should give you more browning, or you can get active malt and add that. It's just basically malted barley flour, so if you are an all grain brewer you could take some base malt, finely grind it and use that. But don't use too much, as I think bakers barley malt is fairly low litner whereas ours is rather more potent.

or, get a wood/gas fired pizza oven if you can :)

also, are you using pre-shredded mozzarella? because that has added starch in it which browns faster than block mozz. of course you have to cut that up which adds more time to preparation

Thanks hanglow, I am using frigo shredded. Lean wet dough. Malted flour sounds delicious, I will look for it. Those pizzas look great. Love the woodfire. I will probably end up with the blackstone. I had dreams of building a pizza oven, but more would like fireplace for versatility.

Im always making pizza. I tried the steel on top rack with no broiler and meh. White crust, oddly enough after a long par bake at 550 and a long bake at 550 that white crust is crunchy as all get out. Super cracker with air pockets. I really want my crust to look like yeasties. Sugar and oil in dough is next move I guess. The broiler does it but blasts the cheese. Maybe broil on par bake. This oven sucks for pizza I wonder.View attachment 607779View attachment 607780View attachment 607781

This stuff really helps brown up the crust.... doesn't take much.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/diastatic-malt-powder-4-oz-jar

@orionol73 solid! Zooming in I can see the beautiful crust on that. I like the toppings and dipping sauce too. Haha, youvr seen my worst share away.

Thanks hanglow and schematix that is what I am looking for. I have some golden promise and a blender. How much do I add?

Think I found one thing I have been looking for, this par cook was almost too good. Bottom rack, not 2nd to bottom, at 550, this crust was crunchy and parts were thin. The holes in some were nice despite being thin on bottom. Made a bread because had a little left. Mixed up a batch, and then decided, might as well ice cream scoop out rolls while oven is hot. Then mixed another batch. This pie was solid in places. Kids and swmbo loved it, a little crunchy for me. Sams club tomato sauce, meh, with salt and penzy or whatever pizza seasoning sprinkled on it. So happy.

Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-42-22.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-35-13.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-35-56.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-35-37.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-57-28.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-22-20-57-19.jpeg

Thanks hanglow and schematix that is what I am looking for. I have some golden promise and a blender. How much do I add?

My recipe notes range from 1 to 3% of flour weight.

When i've made it from barley malt in a food processor i've skimmed off the husk before totally flouring it.

this is my spice recipe by the way for about 16 oz of cooked tomato's which should yield about 2 or 3 - 12 " pizzas, the tomato brand will really dictate how sweet they are and their all different so salt to taste but this is the basic recipe, I have a big plastic tub I made up about 32 oz of the powder and I just add 1 heaping tablespoon for enough sauce that makes 2 - 12" pizzas, I like my sauce kind of thick because as you can see I use a lot of cheese

My Pizza Sauce

· 1 tsp dried basil
· 1 tsp sugar
· 2 tsp salt
· 1 tsp dried oregano
· 1 tb garlic powder
· 1 tsp onion powder or flakes
·
(optional)
· 1 tb olive oil
· pinch of red pepper flakes
· or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

If you add a couple hits of this Tunisian hot sauce - it will take pizza sauce to a different level. Its makes it into like an arriabiatta pizza sauce only more complex and great depth of flavor

tunis.hot sauce.jpg

I like both, but like chopped anymore. So chopped. Honestly would be thrilled to have either made for me. Welp, the bottom rack was what I was looking for. Then switched to upper for top. These were so good with big air bubbles. Salchicha, salami, and smoked pork. The smoked pork and hot dog was made by my wonderful 5yo daughter. Pics are saying they're too big to load even after screenshots. I don't know if it's because I haven't paid my dues or the new app has a 4 megabyte limit per picture. Anyone know?

The only negative thing I have found with those baking steel's are finding a place to store them, and then moving back and forth. They are heavy, but worth it!
Agreed. It hasn't official found a home yet in the house... I get in trouble when I leave it in the oven [emoji852]️.

I've been working on a crispy thin crust, I have the thin down pat but not the crispy, anyone have the recipe for a cracker thin crust, my baking powder crust just didn't get it and everyone seems to say their recipe is crispy but it's not, not at all

Not sure what your pizza process and equipment is, however get a pizza stone and preheat it to the highest temp your oven goes for about 45-min. Toss the pizza on top and you have a guaranteed crispy crust no matter what the recipe. I like my pizza stone more than a pizza pan and such

Try some corn meal in the dough or sprinkle it on pizza stone before hand. Some people melt a knob of butter on the pizza stone just before they put the pizza on it

I've tried all, and the key here is a hot stone

I tried 3 pans and 5 recipes at 550 on the lowest rack, still no crispy, haven't tried the stone yet but my inspiration was 25 years ago I had a pizza inn thin crust I loved and I worked there as a kid and they just had gas ovens so it must have been the recipe

Are you putting the dough on the pan, and then on the stone? or do you have dough and stone in direct contact?

how long is your pie in the oven for?

have you tried a pizza screen?

what kind of stone do you have?

I can get my paper thin pizzas crispy as crackers on my screen. don't even have to deck it.

Back