The ForceBeer thread (brew without measuring)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the origin of this thread was a tangential discussion in the broken hydrometer thread: what if you tried to brew a beer without taking measurements?

THE RULES: brew a batch, then post your notes (a pic would be nice too!), of the beer that results from:
  1. Dumping grains into your mill without weighing. just eyeball it. you get no points for going single-malt :D
  2. Same for hops. make as many additions as you want, but no scales.
  3. Minimal management of the mash temp. ex: measure your strike water before dough-in, no measurements after that.
  4. No timer on the mash - use your spidey-sense.
  5. If you sparge: no measuring the water temp.
  6. No timer on the boil.
  7. No nutrients, if you happen to use them.
  8. Chill the beer, but no measuring the temp.
  9. No starters, no rehydration. just pitch it (directly).
  10. No temp control for fermentation, so choose your location wisely.
as the originator @AzOr mused, "What’s this gonna prove? Absolutely nothing. But I’m still excited to try it out."

i have toyed with calling this style/approach Slackbeer or Eyeball beer, but ultimately i think ForceBeer is the better name (cue the scene where Luke is on the trench run in EP4 and about to use his sighting instrument to fire the kill-shot, when Obi-wan's voice tells him to "use the force" and he puts the instrument away...). Short & Shoddy cuts a few corners. ForceBeer has no corners at all.

looking forward to seeing what results of this. go forth and brew, jedis...

yoda-ipa-beer[1].png

Last edited:
Back