The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BIL sent me this. Reminded me of HBT. ESP when I got to the part about the industry experts correcting the term to “lamp”. Reminded me of the ancient joke on CompuServe about how to program shooting yourself in the foot in different programming languages. Man I thought that was funny 40’years ago.

Ugh. I've been sanding railings since Friday...or maybe Thursday - I cannot remember anymore. Saturday and Sunday were brutal, today was blessedly cooler. Been hanging in all the way to 5 most days, 5:30 today - which was all ladder work. LOTS of water breaks. Another day of ladder work tomorrow and I think I can wrap up the sanding by 5pm tomorrow, then take Wednesday off...maybe even brew something :)

I hate house painting with a deep passion, but I've always done my own houses anyway...

Cheers!

Ugh, we paid a dude to stain the decks and railings 2 years ago with the stain that was supposed to last the longes. It needs to be done again. The guy insisted deck wash and power washing would be as good as sanding... not. So you da man Trippr.

Yeah, but trust me, I did not get into this easily. I had to drag myself the whole way :D

Even taking a break and looking things over this afternoon I was asking myself "Do I REALLY need to do this?", in spite of the fact the failed paint and stain jobs I see all the time are precisely why I keep flogging myself.

Cheers! (sigh...)

If lumber weren’t so expensive I’d have Trex installed this year which is pricey normally. I figure, since Hubby has no interest in most DIY projects and many I can’t handle at this age no/low maintenance will be a necessity in a few years.

I need to nonskid the deck of LSU. Guy at the marine supply store said to put down a layer of paint then use a spray painter with a top hamper to spray on the nonskid ‘sand’, then top coat. I’ve never used a spray painter before. Any tips? Got a $20 special from HF, don’t care if I kill it.

I've never had the pleasure of using a big gun (tiny airbrushes for modeling, yes). Mostly because my houses were always stained using alkyd/oils and cleaning that up would be a ***** on a good day and a hose and pump killer on a bad day. Plus I can't see gunning railings - the overspray would be crazy high and paint ain't cheap! (the stuff I'm using is $55/gallon plus tax ffs!)

Seems to me you could roll on your paint then sprinkle sand like most folks do :)

Cheers!

This paint (Pettit EZ Poxy) comes in at a sphincter puckering $149.99 per gallon. (Plus another $50 for the non-skin sand.) I will thin it, tape the **** out of the cabin and spray the whole interior, then tape out sections of deck, roll them and try the guys idea of using the sprayer to blow the nonskid onto the deck for a nice even finish. Back in the day we broadcast sand onto the wet pain and then rolled over the top but those were military vessels and appearance was secondary to traction. I want traction but it needs to look nice. I suppose I could use some sort of sifter or grass seed spreader. We'll see. All of life is an experiment in getting it right.

I’d be tempted to stir the sand into the amount of topcoat you need, pay the neighbors kid to sit and stir it constantly as you rolled it on.

[it sounds simple in my head. It is nothing I have ever done. Pls refer to my post on how many Redditors it takes to screw in a light bulb. Sorry, I mean “lamp”]

The daily cleaning of tree schmutz the gets on screened in porch table. I just mowed @Hoppy2bmerry and I feel like this is all up in my lungs now.
1621970983821.png

Hah! Ironically, I've had my huge shop vac hooked up to my fancy sanders through all this stupid sanding (done as of an hour ago! :ban: ) to avoid breathing paint dust. Meanwhile I've been breathing that "all natural" tree stuff for a week. I coughed less when I was still a smoker :D

No. Personally I like to make Belgians using panties from the dead hookers from under my shed. You want to talk about funky flavors? Goodness gracious, that’s some unusually tasty brew.

I’ve pretty much given up on any brew with more than four total ounces of hops per five gallon batch. I realize I speaking heresy but the super hoppy IPA’s suck. New England IPA’s suck doubly. A birthday cake is not inherently better because it’s covered in 10 inches of frosting. Please, for the love of the Schweet Baby Jeezuz, start brewing British pub ales again. I’m begging you.

My self-preserving side thinks you all and everyone else outside my bubble are diseased bipedal vermin which requires me to maintain my double-masking regimen. So I got that working for me :D
AGREE, at 72 I think breathing thru a mask is better than through a box just till the world gets spinning covid free or at least under control. , health and age is factored in here ! just saying.

Maybe a bit off topic for this bunch,, but brewing today under tent in this little nor'easter. Heart is not really in it today, but the lager pipeline must be maintained.
IMG_2183.JPG

I don’t have it, Brian O’Grady (BullsBeers, an ‘Original Masstoberfester) does. He’s been lucky enough to get an extra year out of it and I expect that he’ll mask up and vaccinate Nurse Smurf on the top.

I had a great weekend. Last year I painted the deck of LSU and it looked pissa. Unfortunately, it was slick as a Vaselined mirror and more than one person took a dixy when it got wet
Saturday I sanded off all that nice paint and washed off and cleaned up the interior. Sunday I wiped it all down with thinner (I haven’t been that high at any of the dozens of Dead concerts I’ve been to) then taped off sections of the deck. Working backwards I rolled new paint onto small section then using the ol’ Salt Bea method hand sprinkled a nice layer of the nonskid onto the wet paint. Managed to climb around on the gunnels and get onto the chairs in the cabin and could reach down and pull up the tape after a few hours. Looks pisss. It needed to sit for 16 hours or so before I could re-coat so the weather screwed me today.
I also managed to sand and varnish the teak and wash, compound, and wax the starboard side before I decided I didn’t have it left in me to tackle the port in the direct sun. So 75% of the way there. I had a lot more time to f around when I wasn’t babysitting one day a week.

Back