The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE my 2012 Tundra. Love it, love it, love it. It's way too big, I'll admit, but it rides nice, runs well, has four doors, and is just a great all around truck. It's in Texas with us now, and this is its fourth trip here. I bought new tires at 55000 or so miles, and had some oil changes but otherwise have put $0 into it. No problems with breaks, for example, which my 2004 Chevy chewed through. I think we've got near 80,000 miles on it now, give or take.

The gas mileage is right about 17 mpg over all. I like the way the rear seat folds, so we can have a "step" on one side for easy entry for kids and dogs. It can seat 6 (a very small butt in the middle in the front, but sometimes it's me) but definitely 4 large people very comfortably and 5 pretty ok as well. Usually, it's two adults in the front, and in the back either one 95 pound dog or that same dog and two car seats with kids in them. Better than most cars I've driven, that's for sure.

Bench seat in the front of yours? This one has two buckets, and a CAVERNOUS cubby in between. Like, you could fit three babies in there, if you were the Duggars or something. Or hanging files, is what it's actually designed to hold. Told the sales guy, you don't even need to LIKE the person you're driving with, they're so far away.

There's another Tacoma that's basically the same price (a little more) and a couple fewer miles. I think I'm going to take that for a spin tomorrow; it feels silly to buy a smaller truck for the same money, but I'd just like to do the comparison, one right after the other. Because I need a truck, but I don't see how I'm likely going to need THIS much truck.

Unless I do something moronic like buy a boat.

No, our front seat has a "fold up" console. It's a big ass console that only opens in two tiny places but has huge cup holders. The console is the one really useless thing. But it folds up, and it makes a seat that even holds Q's booster seat if we had a mind to put him there. so I fit in there if we happen to have 6 adults and it's fine. We rarely have six adults, of course.

One time, we had two of my (larger) friends, both grandkids, and me and Bob. We did do two carseats, both of the kids, my tall and big friend, his wife (not tall, but definitely wide), Bob driving, and me. We only went for about 50 miles, but it still wasn't too bad. The kids are scrawny, but their car seats are huge!

It's probably too much truck if you're not hauling stuff, but they are everywhere here in Texas, even for single people! They build them in San Antonio, and you see as many huge Tundras as Chevys here. We do happen to haul stuff so it's not really overkill.

I would buy a Tacoma IF I didn't have a truck camper that we rarely use. We've even talked about it- when we no longer haul that truck camper out camping once a year, we'll definitely want a Tacoma for our next truck.

I usually pull my boat with my Jeep as my Jeep can handle it and it's more manuverable around trees putting my boat in and out of our lake.

The Tundra has about a mile turning radius.

You know... I didn't think the turning radius was that bad. I was actually surprised at how good it was in the parking lot. One of my pet peeves on my wife's old Civic was how ****ty the turning radius was for a TINY car (the Element is pretty nimble in tight spots), and the Tundra I didn't think was half-bad. But, I'm not planning on towing anything.

You know... I didn't think the turning radius was that bad. I was actually surprised at how good it was in the parking lot. One of my pet peeves on my wife's old Civic was how ****ty the turning radius was for a TINY car (the Element is pretty nimble in tight spots), and the Tundra I didn't think was half-bad. But, I'm not planning on towing anything.

It seems far worse than the Chevy 4X4 it replaces as far as turning radius. I hate parking it at the grocery store and backing out of the hardware store. If you don't mind it, then that's fine of course.

I love my Jeep- it has a turning radius like a kid's Big Wheel. I can do a 180 in my own skinny driveway, I swear.

Our driveway's kind of a PITA for backing up and turning around, especially since I built the shed/garage.

I'm eyeballing the Taco now. Same price, essentially, few miles, little older. Looks like a higher trim package. The one I've been driving was clearly a work-truck; the inside of the bed's a little banged up, the wheel wheels in particular like someone was tossing a bunch of bricks in there. It's a TRUCK, not that big a deal but still. Might be a little more practical to go smaller and nimbler since I don't NEED the V8. Little more nimble might be nice. This isn't supposed to be the long-haul vehicle. We'll see, going back to the dealership tomorrow.

Good luck. I love my full size pick up but I'm strange. Bigger is always better and don't buy a boat unless you plan on losing your hair and doubling in size.

Full size truck vs not a real one
V8 vs V6
" it's better to have it and not need it , than to need it & not have it. "
Especially since there is only a $2,000 difference

"Need" seems kind of silly to me, honestly. I can't begin to list all of the renovation projects I've completed, BIG stuff, completely renovated the kitchen and living room in the old house, added a bathroom, hand-build what's basically a garage at my new house, built huge fences by hand... and the "truck" I used to do all of that was a Honda Element. And I'm not anticipating as many BIG projects in the next few years; the kids' bathroom could use a remodel, but other than that my big projects are done. At least things that would require more truck than a Tacoma. I do like that it's a full 50" between the wheel wells, but I'm not sure how often, really, I'm going to be hauling plywood or drywall home. Not as much as in the last five years; I probably should have bought a Tundra ten years ago!

And I'm not someone who's going to need to tow a boat, or dirk bikes, or snowmobiles. The V8's nice and smooth, and I can feel the power.... but it's probably mostly more than I need. The Taco that I'm looking at still has a four-liter V6. Was eyeballing a few things down at Carmax, but all the cheaper Tacos had four bangers, which is probably not enough (and not that much more fuel efficient, regardless).

I hate that I'm at the point where I really need to buy something in the next week. When you try and run something until it dies... it kind of puts you in a bind when it's on its deathbed!

My son, while eating pretzels says, "I wish everything was made of pretzels"
So I say, " if our car was made of pretzels, and it was raining it would get all soggy"
His response, " not if it was raining pretzels"

Smart Azz!

"I'd love to try one of those tasty brews"...

.... aaaaand you're a dick.

Always reminds me of the doctor in Caddyshack... "Hey man... save me a poke".

There... THAT is all.

I freakin love about 99% of our customers. We get a fair amount of really cool regulars that make the place what it is in terms of atmosphere most of the time and then a huge percentage of the new people are into beer and want to talk about beer. How can you hate that? We get the occasional *****enozzle but its rare for some reason.

Well.., it's not really a designated area for that sole purpose but oddly enough the rare *****enozzel that we get does tend to gravitate towards it... As if it has some sort of magnetism for *****enozzles.

I freakin love about 99% of our customers. We get a fair amount of really cool regulars that make the place what it is in terms of atmosphere most of the time and then a huge percentage of the new people are into beer and want to talk about beer. How can you hate that? We get the occasional *****enozzle but its rare for some reason.

its cause i live too far away

While we're all waiting for PTN (or somebody like him), set aside a handful of minutes for this.
Even if you're not into nutzoid city skiing stunts, there's some pretty cool shots of the city...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAcxbT1MRlQ[/ame]

Cheers!

And for something completely different (well, nutzoid again, sure, but in a different way) we have this to look forward to.

P-20150802-00105_HiRes%20JPEG%2024bit%20RGB.jpg

Not sure I'd want to be landing in the lukewarm Charles in late August, but hell, if I have absolutely nothing else going on I might drag the boat in to Brighton and putt downstream to watch...

Cheers! ;)

Latest posts

Back