The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where I get my eggs. These redneck chickens ride in style. Running water

cache_4208476591.jpg

http://www.shattuckfarm.com/eggs/

Love it. I'm guessing they move their "home" around the property for fresh grazing.

Speaking of chickens...my neighbors had their flock whittled down from 12 chickens and six ducks to zilch, the last bird succumbing to predation last week. I'm in need of another flock to dispense my spent grains, but gas money and time to Groton and back would likely have me composting instead of donating. The closest neighborhood flock that I know of is only four birds while my typical batch uses 20-something pounds of malt - chickens are hella stupid and I wouldn't want them to stuff themselves to death...

Cheers!

How about Old Frog Pond in Harvard? You'd like them. Hippie commune :) maybe they'll trade you some produce. I'm sure if you talk to Springdell and the likes in Littleton would take it.

Those chickens are literally free range. They walk up to my car as I pull into the driveway, follow me into the barn and then back to the car.

They wander the areas of flowers and plants. Surrounded by even more woods and rivers. Tons of predators with feet and wings. Maybe they roll them into the barn at night.

I saw fencing in the background, figured the camper was parked inside a pen.

I roll past the Frog Pond anytime I have to get on 495 north, it's barely a mile north-ish from me. Didn't know it was a commune?
I just like the metal sculptures like the quilled egg in the front yard :) I should stop in to see if they're receptive to spent grain donations...

Cheers!

I was joking about it being a commune. Just an artsy farm with ceremonial nature events and celebrations.

I will say the little amount of produce and eggs they have is really good. The berries in the fall are also really good

Uhhhhhhh. No.

However... things are slowly coming together. I moved ten and a half tons of dense grade inside this week and started to spread it out until (Go Figure!!!) my back gave out. So not spread and flat yet but I've hired the kid next door to get the rest inside and spread it out. Hopefully a concrete floor in a week or two. Spent most all day today burning up scrap, not a lot overall, I used most of the plank cut offs to make the Chateau a Poulet.

I have u
View attachment 822202

Uhhhhhhh. No.

However... things are slowly coming together. I moved ten and a half tons of dense grade inside this week and started to spread it out until (Go Figure!!!) my back gave out. So not spread and flat yet but I've hired the kid next door to get the rest inside and spread it out. Hopefully a concrete floor in a week or two. Spent most all day today burning up scrap, not a lot overall, I used most of the plank cut offs to make the Chateau a Poulet.
View attachment 822200
I used the same watering cups on buckets. I never used white buckets as they transmit the full spectrum of light and support the growth of algae. I preferred the orange buckets from the local HD store. Eventually, I started using 4” pvc. It holds 2 gal/two feet; transmits no light (and hence no algae growth) and is very durable.

Back to spent grain and chicken flocks...this afternoon I rolled past that mini-farm with the red barn in Bolton on 117 near the Long Hill Road intersection where the woman was terminated by a sheep last year and saw a crapton of penned chickens on the east side of the properly. Gonna have 22 pounds of spent grains tomorrow, might run them over and see what's up...

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips on the bucket colors. Can you describe the pipe setup? Thnx
Here’s the foot of my pvc waterer. There’s 6’ of upright 4” pipe which gives me a 3 gallon capacity. I’m considering trimming it down a bit so that I don’t have to lift the water so high. If you have a hose handy, it makes little difference.
You could save expenses by just gluing a cap on the bottom end and mounting the watering cup directly on the side of the pipe. I originally had this one mounted on a roll around and I needed it to reach inside a bit, as the upright pipe was on the outside of the coop. Each cup is supposed to serve up to a dozen birds, and I have had no problems with satisfying this many chickens with one cup.

5E7BF46D-BEF7-446A-8239-027126398B02.jpeg

I have also made pvc feeders. (This one is empty for cleaning.) You need a reducer and short pipe inside for this to work. I also added the bottom of a metal can as a retaining lip to prevent the chickens from just dragging out the feed for sport. Several DIY videos on YouTube
1116E1F2-70B4-4DD1-9929-30DDF854BFDC.jpeg
CA1BE48E-2515-456D-B5DF-444105968F02.jpeg

I think the cup waterers work better than the ones that drip from above. I was fencing at a poultry operation on a hot day, and it looked to me that the birds were having to put more effort into getting water than was necessary, and this was a good cage free operation.

That said we just use watering bowls, when a couple dozen birds get let out into pen in morning and they all want a drink at once it makes for less "pecking order" tensions. I could see doing a multi cup system though, would save a bit of work.

It’s amazing what people come up with to use pvc pipe for. That 4 foot of 6 inch pipe waterer could be filled with rain water if put under a gutter downspout. You could add a horizontal pipe and add more cups. Just a couple ideas I had after seeing the pic.

We've been getting pounded by this storm - lightning strikes with simultaneous BOOMs and we had a whiteout roll by that was amazing! If we don't lose power it'll be a miracle...

1686781595668.png

Cheers! (And YIKES!)

Some of those sweet storms just rolled by here. We really need some rain. I stood out in the drive drinking a beer in the showers, fantasizing about getting hit by lightning. Never came that close though, and I did not stand under the Catalpa, so not suicidal I'd reckon.

Gotta say it was the most active chunk of weather we've had in awhile - sound and fury and a lotta rain. It added a solid 6" of depth to our pond - back of the envelope says 2000 gallons drained into it this afternoon. I believe it. Just happy it didn't hail...

Cheers!

Sometimes I wonder that too. Seriously no worse that an auto battery jolt. They do say most people that are killed by electricity is when you're released from it. I probably flew across the room about 15' once it let me go. Fun. Fun.
There's a great/bad wife/spouse joke hidden in all that somewhere.

"Battlefield triage" says go to the ones that are moving first to render assistance. The logic being, if you're not moving you're dead, work on the ones you might help.

"Lightning strike triage" says go to the ones that aren't moving, logic being the ones that are moving have a heartbeat, they should be (relatively) ok. (Burns are a separate issue)
You 'might' be able to jumpstart the hearts that had their main breakers blow by the jolt if you go to them first.

All theory. Your lightening strike results may vary.

I was probably around twelve and didn't tell anyone. To put it into perspective, the arse whoppin my parents would have given me would have been worse than a lightening strike if I told them.

It happened up at Sebago Lake. My dad made me return a a rental aluminum boat before the big storm came. Made it over wild waves and running back thru the woods the cold front overtook me. It was a freezing rain.

Took refuge in one of those old state park restrooms. Thought I'm soaked and freezing" so as I started to pour hot water over myself with both hands on the faucet and standing on the wet poured cement floor. A sudden feeling almost like something was sucking me up the pipe happened. I couldn't pull myself off it and then it did and I went flying. There was a smell of ozone and flash bang in the window in front of me just as I landed.

So in the end I guess I got shocked. Maybe there was feelers before the big bang and I was lucky. Either that the lightening probably found a less resistive route thru the pipes or around me. No burns or racing heart beat. So I was good.

Story time over and the advice not to take a shower during lightening is probably true.

I'm thinking back to age of twelve - fifteen, for explanations for some of my "eccentricities", besides being dyslexic. Can't help but wonder of playing with lead and mercury & leaded solder (I was into heath kits, if anyone remembers those).

Worst part was probably washing engine parts with Gunk mixed w leaded gas (all of us old folks got doses of tetra ethyl lead, but this was frequent immersion for a while), no thought of gloves or anything like that of course...that's the way things were done & how I was taught. While I learned a lot from my first couple of cars, really old Willys Jeeps, pretty sure they took their toll.

If that thunder storm was closer, would have took cover, we only got 1/4 inch rain, I do love storms..,but would not want to get stupider than I already am. [;

I remember Heath Kits, though I only ever built one - the shortwave radio receiver.
My dad was an EE and got me into electrical projects quite early. I could often be found bent over a soldering iron for hours building various stuff...

Cheers!

fyi, Gloucester's Greasy Pole competition is live on youtube right now...

One guy in the 3rd round pulled the flag down below the pole but left it hanging. Not a win, they put the flag back in place...

1687558886224.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back