The cigar thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the ziplock bag from when I bought them so the Patel and the Oliva were stored identically. The Oliva burned perfectly.

I need to check out a local shop called Corona Cigar and try a bunch more, then once I find my favorite I'll buy a box.

It may change but the size has a big effect for me, any bigger than 52/64s seems too fat and I don't need a 7" long cigar. I don't see a size I like in the Serie V, the 6x50 Toro-sized Serie O was about perfect if not a bit too long (the 5x50 Robusto may be even better for me).

In the Liga Privada #9; what is the difference between the Belicoso Oscuro and the Parejo Oscuro? They're both 6x52.

I wouldn't go and buy a box just yet. Keep trying out singles and simplers. If you find something you really like get a 5er of it. It is like beer, you don't want to stick to just one.

Also the sizes and shapes will change the experience with each cigar and not just the feel and time it takes to smoke. Some are better in some vitola and some better in others.

Honestly, best thing I could reccomend would be to join a cigar forum and do a newbie sampler trade.

I just "found" my small humidor with 3 cigars in it from several years ago...probably 4 years...I smoked a Romeo y Juliet Churchill Habana yesterday and it was awesome. I have one of those left and a Cohiba Edicion Limitada 2004. I need to find some more of these.

I got there a bit late and didn't get to roll-my-own, they must have started right when the party started. Based on what I saw lying at the table (after everybody was done, so they were probably 'mistakes') I'm not too disappointed, still would have been fun though.

Eh, I am not too impressed with those choices for $50. If I had to pick it would be Olivia, Nub, and maybe the Perdomo because I love torpedos.

You would be much better off doing a newbie trade though through a forum. They work a few different ways but they all match up a guy with a ton of knowledge and a huge selection with a noob. The noob will tell the other guy what they have found so far that they like and the fog will pick things that you will probably like and expand your horizons.

From here is where they will differ from trade to trade. Some have a set value and others the two of you will decide on a value (usually $50-$100) and they will give you a list of things they want that will add up to roughly that amount. You will buy those and mail them to them. Either that or they will just want you to send them money. In return they will send you a sampler that they put together for you that will be worth that amount or more. More often than not they will actually send you a box that exceeds that agreed value. You will also usually get some sticks that are either hard to find or well aged too.

Hope that makes sense.

SpanishCastleAle said:
In the ziplock bag from when I bought them so the Patel and the Oliva were stored identically. The Oliva burned perfectly.

I need to check out a local shop called Corona Cigar and try a bunch more, then once I find my favorite I'll buy a box.

It may change but the size has a big effect for me, any bigger than 52/64s seems too fat and I don't need a 7" long cigar. I don't see a size I like in the Serie V, the 6x50 Toro-sized Serie O was about perfect if not a bit too long (the 5x50 Robusto may be even better for me).

In the Liga Privada #9; what is the difference between the Belicoso Oscuro and the Parejo Oscuro? They're both 6x52.

Corona is amazing, definitely check em out.

Hope to hit Corona this weekend on my way to the homebrew club meeting. Got a Fonseca Cubano Limitado and an Oliva Serie V last night.

The Fonseca and a homebrewed russian imperial stout via nitro on the back porch on a beautiful night = a wonderful thing.

If this was posted in the thread earlier, I'm sorry. I didn't read through the whole thing. I used to be very into cigars before I was married and had a son. now money is tighter so spending $10-20 per stick doesn't happen. however, you can find some pretty amazing deals on This Site as well as some nice samplers to figure out what you like. I haven't shopped on there for a long time so the deals may not be as good as they once were.
cheers!
Tom

The Serie V Lancero is amazing! Sure it looks long (TWSS) but it is really easy to smoke, and hits the flavors of the filler and wrapper just right.

Tim

MX1 said:
The Serie V Lancero is amazing! Sure it looks long (TWSS) but it is really easy to smoke, and hits the flavors of the filler and wrapper just right.

Tim

+1000. Definitely my favorite size in the line. I absolutely love lanceros, we have been working on a Liga Privada lancero and it's delicious.

SpanishCastleAle said:

The Belicoso has a torpedo or conical shaped head. The Parejo has a typical rounded head.

however, you can find some pretty amazing deals on This Site as well as some nice samplers to figure out what you like. I haven't shopped on there for a long time so the deals may not be as good as they once were.
cheers!
Tom

I don't think you should mention the Devil Site here.
These guys won't have any money left over for beer.

I've heard Javas are great.When I can afford it, Java will be the last two full boxes of cigars I'll buy.

Hmm, I used to smoke a pipe back in my college days, a nice smoking corn cob. I never smoked often enough to worry about upgrading to a briar pipe or something fancier. I found I enjoyed it quite a bit and am not really sure why I stopped. I was thinking how nice it might be to enjoy one after a long brew day and started looking into it again. I also thought about looking more into cigars as well. I’ve enjoyed a handful of them over the years, but not sure how SWMBO would take to the concept. Of course, we’re talking an occasional type of thing here and it’s not like I’d be lighting up in the living room.

So, yeah, GREAT, now I’m thinking of heading down to a local tobacco shop and checking out their selection. I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head…

Okay, okay, deep breath, moderation, moderation.

Hmm, I used to smoke a pipe back in my college days, a nice smoking corn cob. I never smoked often enough to worry about upgrading to a briar pipe or something fancier. I found I enjoyed it quite a bit and am not really sure why I stopped. I was thinking how nice it might be to enjoy one after a long brew day and started looking into it again. I also thought about looking more into cigars as well. I’ve enjoyed a handful of them over the years, but not sure how SWMBO would take to the concept. Of course, we’re talking an occasional type of thing here and it’s not like I’d be lighting up in the living room.

So, yeah, GREAT, now I’m thinking of heading down to a local tobacco shop and checking out their selection. I need another hobby like I need a hole in the head…

Okay, okay, deep breath, moderation, moderation.

Not too worry, it's not like you'll get obsessed & end up overdoing it........:D

Here's a picture of my cellar a year after starting to smoke a pipe, I believe it was about 15lbs of tobacco then. Now I have close to 30lbs.

HPIM1861.jpg

Not too worry, it's not like you'll get obsessed & end up overdoing it........:D

Here's a picture of my cellar a year after starting to smoke a pipe, I believe it was about 15lbs of tobacco then. Now I have close to 30lbs.

HPIM1861.jpg

Damn!!! Is that cabinent humidity controlled?

Damn!!! Is that cabinent humidity controlled?

Nope! The beauty of pipe tobacco is that you store it in an airtight container (either the original tin or a mason jar) so it retains all of it's moisture. No need for any type of humidity control. All it needs is a cool, dark place.

A cigar with some delicious Belgian Ale:

HPIM1855.jpg

HPIM1861.jpg

HOLY...!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards the pipe right now for home/patio use. I think it will be a little less offensive to the wife. I think I'll look into cigars a little, might be something nice to take with me when I'm out on the bike.

Nope! The beauty of pipe tobacco is that you store it in an airtight container (either the original tin or a mason jar) so it retains all of it's moisture. No need for any type of humidity control. All it needs is a cool, dark place.

A cigar with some delicious Belgian Ale:

HPIM1855.jpg

Ah, but see, now that looks like a lovely combo!

Now that I've had a few, I think I may have gotten some poorly stored cigars or something. Of the 5 I've smoked: the Rocky Patel wouldn't burn evenly and kept getting these 'blisters' (for lack of a better term) near the cherry end, the Fonseca just wouldn't draw worth a damn and I could barely keep it lit. The Pepin burned OK as did the Cohiba but both were a little hard to draw on. Both Olivas were easy to draw on and burned perfectly. So far it's no contest, both Olivas were far and away the best cigars but I'm thinking it's not necessarily a fair comparison of the cigars themselves, could be the storage.

All had the little plastic wrapper around them except the Fonseca, it was just naked.

What are you storing them in
What humidity are you storing them at
What are you using to provide humidity
Are you punching or cutting the cigars
if it is blistering, IIRC, it means they may be too wet, also it causes the draw issues.
65-70% humidity is where you should be, and the Pepin should be as close to 65 as you can get it.

Tim

As MX1 said, it's all about storage humidity. I use heartfelt beads that keep it at a constant 65%. They all smoke great that way, very few draw/burn issues.

I'm storing them in a small sealed ziplock bag for the few days I keep them but I'm smoking them within a few days of buying them. The Olivas were great that way.

Ok, well that helps.

If I may offer some tips.

Run to wall mart, target, kmart, any where and get you one of those nice airtight flip lock type Tupperware, get one twice as big as you thing you need, hell 3 or 4 times as big as you think you need. Then next time your at the cigar store, or if you have a chance to order online get some Beads, I would get 65% RH but that is my preference.

I am sure that the cigar store you are going to should have some sort of answer for maintaining Rh in your new "Tupper-dor" and then you will be off to the races.

Most cigars are slightly too "wet" from the store and that is why they are hard to draw, and burn uneven and blister.

Tim

I'm storing them in a small sealed ziplock bag for the few days I keep them but I'm smoking them within a few days of buying them. The Olivas were great that way.

Even if you are smoking them within just a couple days of buying them, I would still invest in at least what I call "A Redneck Humidor" of a tupperware container and a humi pack.

These are the identical beads that are sold at heartfelt but much cheaper. I have them and they work great. Get more than you think you will ever need. Not only will you still have plenty to expand later but the more you have to quicker the humi is able to recover.

The beads are unarguably the best passive humidification device there is. Don't screw around with anything else. I lost probably close to $200 worth of cigars from trying to fight with the gel that the B&M recommended to me.

I really need to go to Corona it's just a bit of a drive and it's downtown.

I got an airtight tupperware-like container plus a little 70% Rh canister from the nearby cigar shop. Instructions say to pour a proprietary propylene glycol solution in it but they said just use water (distilled if possible). It was all they had and it wasn't cheap. I'll try to find one of those cheapo Rh meters.

Also got 4 more cigars and they threw in a torch lighter for free. Tried the Los Blancos Nine last night, burned well and was good not great. Also got a Rocky Patel Decade, a My Father, and another I can't remember (has Magnum in the name).

These are the identical beads that are sold at heartfelt but much cheaper. I have them and they work great. Get more than you think you will ever need. Not only will you still have plenty to expand later but the more you have to quicker the humi is able to recover.

The beads are unarguably the best passive humidification device there is. Don't screw around with anything else. I lost probably close to $200 worth of cigars from trying to fight with the gel that the B&M recommended to me.

I completely agree with this. I have a couple of tubes from them and they work great!

I really need to go to Corona it's just a bit of a drive and it's downtown.

I got an airtight tupperware-like container plus a little 70% Rh canister from the nearby cigar shop. Instructions say to pour a proprietary propylene glycol solution in it but they said just use water (distilled if possible). It was all they had and it wasn't cheap. I'll try to find one of those cheapo Rh meters.

Also got 4 more cigars and they threw in a torch lighter for free. Tried the Los Blancos Nine last night, burned well and was good not great. Also got a Rocky Patel Decade, a My Father, and another I can't remember (has Magnum in the name).

you need to punch your cigar shop guy in the mouth. Do not just use water, water evaporates at 100% Rh and that is too high for your cigars.

Tim

Latest posts

Back