The Case of the Anemic Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobadays

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So... Kegged a NW style Hefeweizen early yesterday morning. 18 hours of force carbing later I figured I would draw a taste and see how it turned out. Well as expected the first 12oz or so was pretty "milky" with cold crash sediment so I discarded that and pulled about 6-8oz to taste. I always sniff, sight and then taste. Well, it smelled good, really, no I mean really pale, but it did taste great. Smooth with a nice touch of cloves and just a very little bit of banana in there as it should be. Good mouth feel but maybe a few more hours at 30PSI of Co2 to get the carbonation up just a touch more. Pale...really, really pale... rather anemic. Why??

Recipe:
WLP320 yeast

6lbs - 2 row
5lbs - American Wheat
1lb - Munich
4oz - Crystal 40L - - for color..... FOR COLOR!! OH NO!!

Am I the only one who has ever done this...? Forgot to put in that last touch of darker grains to get that nice golden color in their beer. 4oz of Crystal I figure wouldn't add much taste (a little sweetness??) Maybe a little more head...?

Next time I start a brew at 5:00AM I will remember to lay out all the grains the night before - yawn!

Cheers!

So, it tastes great and smells good just really pale.... Sounds like one of the better mistakes to make!

I've had the other problem in the past... been a bit too heavy handed with the crystal grains and had a much darker beer than planned.
When things don't turn out for me I just look up what the closest style is to what I end up with, sit back and enjoy a glass of my newly re-named beer!!

I just went into Brewtarget (the software I use for recipes) and without the 40L the color comes to 4.3 SRM well within the style guidelines of 3.0 - 6.0. The original recipe would fall at about 5.2 SRM and there is that nice , albeit pale golden color I was expecting.

Oh well, hand out a few growlers to friends so I can brew it again!

I don't think that any brewing software take into account the effects of the boil when it comes to color pickup. The variations can be pretty big for a light (in color) beer, pH and boil intensity are two big contributors. And when reading a maltsters specs for a malt some often give "wort color", and some also give a spec which is post-boil color, or something like that.

I'm sure you are right, there could be several variables that would affect color. I just know this recipe, which I have brewed numerous times always comes out a nice hazy, pale golden color. Missing that 4oz of 40L really took the gold out of this brew. I can't do a side by side with the beer including the 40L but personally I would be surprised if you could tell any difference. But it sure isn't attractive to look at.

I'll post a pic in a bit..

Cherrs!

I had this same thing happen to me. Everyone told me it was fine and within style and "I wouldn't demerit points for a hefe that was pale in color."

However, I couldn't get past how pale it was.

I started pouring it into my double walled stainless pints... can't see the beer...problem solved! It really is good beer but yeah, TKJ... I'm bummed I didn't get what I was shooting for.

Cheers!

Here is a pic... not quite as anemic as it was yesterday. Maybe some of the cold crash trub was still getting poured... could use a bit more color though!

The amount of yeast is probably goin down, making it look darker. Some decent wheat beers are actually rather pale so no need to worry about it. Decoction or longer boil could make it darker, or using more/darker type of Munich malt or replacing some pale wheat with darker wheat malt. Some German wheat beers also use a little bit of chocolate malt (Carafas etc.) as an ingredient to add color and just a little bit of character. I am not so familiar with the American versions of wheat beer so I do't really know what would be the typical ingredients there.

The amount of yeast is probably goin down, making it look darker. Some decent wheat beers are actually rather pale so no need to worry about it. Decoction or longer boil could make it darker, or using more/darker type of Munich malt or replacing some pale wheat with darker wheat malt. Some German wheat beers also use a little bit of chocolate malt (Carafas etc.) as an ingredient to add color and just a little bit of character. I am not so familiar with the American versions of wheat beer so I do't really know what would be the typical ingredients there.
I have seen a few that are more 'orange' then gold. Would adding a darker munich malt or wheat achieve that?

The 40L Crystal clocks in at 2% of the grain bill. Enough for color but little, if any effect on the taste me thinks. It would have added .01 to the OG and .01% to the alcohol content according to Brew Target.

As it was I ended up with an OG of 1.050 as anticipated anyway but the yeast over attenuated finished at 1.011 instead of the projected 1.014. Might have had something to do with my 90 minute step mash (yes I have read no need for step mash but do it anyway!) I did 2 rests for 15 minutes 1st at 107* and the second at 122* then ramped up to 149 for 60 minutes. The LHBS grinds my grain (mill set at .38) so I always do 90 minute mashes anyway.

Cheers!

I have seen a few that are more 'orange' then gold. Would adding a darker munich malt or wheat achieve that?

Schneider TAP7 is one beer that contains 1% of chocolate type malt. Could contain a little bit of Munich or darker wheat, too but it is mostly pilsner malt, 60% of wheat malt and 1% of chocolate /carafa and it is somewhat orange. I think the reddish/orange hue comes effectively from roasted grains (0-3%, see Irish red ale etc to get convinced), Munich would make it it deeper gold/brown depending on the exact type and amount of Munich.

Agree with ESBrewer above here. I said a few posts up that 1% of choco/carafa will work. It does give you that red-tint thing in a light grist. I use the 1% all the time. If I'm doing a 100% munich, or 100% vienna I often add that 1% to give it some darker color, but in a light colored beer it will give you a nice red-ish tint. It's often just enough. 2% would be to dark imo.

Likely 2% of choco/carafa would be too much. What is the Lovibond of those? A quick look at the Weyermann site shows the carafa at 302-377L a far cry from the 40L in my recipe and why 2% works.

That said I have made a mental note so if I'm ever out of one of the lighter called for grains, that I know is mostly for color, I could substitute chocolate malt which I usually have a few ounces of in the freezer. Thank you!

Cheers!

Depends on taste but 2% may add too much roasted character to Hefeweizen. 1% that has been suggested should be fine to tune the color a little bit. It is not very typical in German weissbier but some (orange or darker) beers use it.

Latest posts

Back