The Brew Barn - Walls, Paint, Tiles? Check!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, in the last article I detailed parts of the wall build and the concrete. To catch you up here is how it looked after we put in the concrete and put up the wall:
hbt-brew-barn-1104.jpg

The next step was to spackle up the cracks and screw-holes in the wall and then hit it with belt sander to make sure that it was smooth enough that it wouldn't stick out. Worst case scenario, since I'm painting the room in white, I can always use a white filler to cover up any missed spots, but anything helps to make it less work later on (if I'd had to use sandpaper, the story would be different).
For paint, I went with regular paint for the first coat, and let it dry for about a day. Then I did a second coat using wet-room paint that handles moisture better since there will be hosing and quite a bit of steam in the room from boils until I get a fan into place. I have my eye on a fan in stainless but it's on hold until I get the electricity put in.
I split the room in two, the "brewing area" and the "soon to come" fermentation and refrigeration area. I tend to prefer hosing down most of my equipment, so to make the wall more moisture resistant I put a row of leftover 7,8 inch tile I had on the bottom. I used clear silicone filler on the bottom and "set" the tiles in it and used regular tile glue on the wall. After adding the grout, I went over it again with white silicone filler and put a layer of it on the top and bottom of the tile to make sure it was as water-tight as possible.
hbt-brew-barn-2-1105.jpg

Since my brother (different one) and I were already painting the wall, we figured we may as well do the windows too since they were classing down the brew room. In order to clean them before painting we went over them with a rough brush, then hosed them down, and hit them with the brush again.
Each window got 2 coats of paint just like the new wall and I also went over the walls I painted earlier to cover up the concrete splash.
We then went to work insulating the wall using 2.7 inch fiberglass insulation blankets. Whenever you work with this type of insulation make sure to wear gloves and long sleeves, it itches like you haven't had a shower for months if you get enough of it on you. Since the material comes with a width of 23.6 inches, it was just a matter of cutting it to the right length, pushing it into the space and stapling an insulating blanket over it. We went with the fiber sheeting over plastic, because fiber breathes so there is a lower chance of moisture damage.
After we finished the wall looked like this:
hbt-brew-barn-3-1106.jpg

I was supposed to get the electricity done this week, but due to a slight disagreement with the electrician on the price I got a bit delayed, so instead of taking a few days off to drink, I decided to get started on furnishings.
I know a guy who manages a few restaurants and I knew he'd remodeled parts of the kitchen in two of them, and I figured "What are friends for if you can't bug them for cheap stainless steel tables".
So, in the end I got 2 tables, one 95 inch by 30, and one 80 x 30, hauled them home, exploited my brother for labor and cleaned them up as they had a lot of grease left on them. I did get them at a 70% discount though, so 30 minutes of cleaning was fine by me.
After finishing up the wall, tiling, painting, doing some cleaning, kegging 5 gallons of Belgian dark strong ale, and transferring a milk stout to secondary, here is what it looked like before:
hbt-brew-barn-4-1107.jpg

And here is the somewhat shaky after:
hbt-brew-barn-5-1108.jpg

Looking to see how all this got started? Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
hbt-brew-barn-5-1108.jpg

looking good, i am still jealous of people who have the space to do projects like this, lol.
As for the silicon sealant, they do make sanded silicon sealant that looks like grout. :)

Brothers do come in handy sometimes, don't they? :)

@Minbari
That would have been good to know. You can find a lot of places with this kind of space if you're willing to live out in the sticks.
@troy2000
Yeah, having an extra set of hands became very useful, very fast. Plus, it's affordable labor (depending on how much they like beer). Then again, having the "That's what she said"/everything in construction sounds dirty discussion with a sister would be creepy.

Looks to be shaping up nicely. Seeing this makes me wish I'd bought that 5 acre place with the huge welding shop years ago.Big colonial house, big shop, big grassy area for my buddies from Probetalk to have events & such. I like the idea of the two separate areas.

Back