The bitterness mouth feel of early hopping vs late hopping with same IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eRicphtgr

Reaction score
I am curious about the bitterness mouth feel of early hopping VS late hopping with the same IBU.

For example, in 21 liters batch,

10 grams of hops with AA 10% boil 60 minutes will get IBU of 11.7

30 grams of same hops AA 10% boil 9 minutes will get IBU of 11.7 as well.

So what’s the difference actually, I know for sure the 30 grams option has better aroma, but I would love to know the bitterness flavor.

I have brewed some beers ( not many ) where the bittering charge ( if you can call it that ) was thrown in the last 30 minutes or so. I had a session IPA with hops added at 15 minutes and every 5 minutes to end of boill + whirlpool and some IPAs with only hops added in the last 20 minutes and they turned out very good.

The bitterness was there, but mild and smooth. Also, I did not feel/taste any harsher* flavours from the hops. At least for me, late additions, like in the last 25 minutes or so, do seem to add a bit more flavour depth and perception of flavours in the final beer. It worked great with Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra. I cannot speak of other hops, as I have not tried it out yet.

But Chinook, Amarillo and Simcoe do add a deep grapefruit/grapefruit rind/citrus flavour to the beer, when used late.

I have brewed some beers ( not many ) where the bittering charge ( if you can call it that ) was thrown in the last 30 minutes or so. I had a session IPA with hops added at 15 minutes and every 5 minutes to end of boill + whirlpool and some IPAs with only hops added in the last 20 minutes and they turned out very good.

The bitterness was there, but mild and smooth. Also, I did not feel/taste any harsher* flavours from the hops. At least for me, late additions, like in the last 25 minutes or so, do seem to add a bit more flavour depth and perception of flavours in the final beer. It worked great with Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra. I cannot speak of other hops, as I have not tried it out yet.

But Chinook, Amarillo and Simcoe do add a deep grapefruit/grapefruit rind/citrus flavour to the beer, when used late.
thanks for sharing, so same bitter but "mild and smooth" , i will try late hopping with big quantity of hops

For my NEIPAs, all hop additions come with 5 mins left, at FO, WP and dry hop. IBUs at 45 or so is magic.

I never had an IPA before hence I am not sure how does a 45 IBUs late hope bitterness feel like, curious about it

Bitterness should be about the same between the two methods. However the one with the short boil will have MUCH more hop flavor, due to less boiloff of essential oils in the hops, plus there's 3 times as many grams of hops used.

I never had an IPA before hence I am not sure how does a 45 IBUs late hope bitterness feel like, curious about it

It's hard to describe bitterness...especially to someone who doesn't drink IPAs. I don't think 45 IBUs from only late additions is different from 45 IBUs from an early boil addition, it just comes with a ton more flavor and aroma. That flavor and aroma balances out the bitterness.

Bitterness should be about the same between the two methods. However the one with the short boil will have MUCH more hop flavor, due to less boiloff of essential oils in the hops, plus there's 3 times as many grams of hops used.
thanks for sharing :)

It's hard to describe bitterness...especially to someone who doesn't drink IPAs. I don't think 45 IBUs from only late additions is different from 45 IBUs from an early boil addition, it just comes with a ton more flavor and aroma. That flavor and aroma balances out the bitterness.
Thanks for sharing your point :)

don't worry too much of hitting a certain IBU # or even decimals. One must be pretty good to taste reliably the difference between 10 IBU and 15 IBU bitterness in your scenario, since the flavour profile will be very different due to shortened boil times and 3x the hops.

Back